service stops when data cap is reached

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
iamscomar
New Poster

service stops when data cap is reached

Beginning this month my service completely stops(will not even load simple pages) when data cap is reached.Every time I call tech support they say it is working fine and add tokens to make it work again.I have had this service for almost three years and never had this problem before.I would like the problem fixed,not just putting a bandaide on it to shut me up for a couple of days.Thanks Hughesnet for making this crappy,extremely overpriced "service" even worse.

5 REPLIES 5
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

@iamscomar

Curious, what type service plan level do you have?  Gen3, Gen4, Gen5?

Also, what model modem? HN9000, HT1000, HT1100, or HT2000w?

It is normal for your system to throttle down to a rather low rate of speed depending on service plan.

Gen5 users with an HT2000w will see approximately 1 to 3Mbps when out of data...
Gen4 users can see anywhere between 128Kbps and ~4Mbps when out of data, depending on how much they try to push.
Gen3 HN9000 users are throttled back to ~150Kbps or so...

Gen4,I expect it to slow down considerably,but it wont even load a simple web page with no video or anything.I have even tried connecting the ethernet cable directly from the modem with the same results.This is a sudden problem,it has always worked in the past.Thanks for your response.

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Well, with you being a Gen4 user, while in FAP, if you are consistently trying to download, especially during peak times you can be throttled back severely, to the point where websites may not load.

Is gen 5 any better and am I required to sign a new contract to upgrade if its available to me.
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

@iamscomar wrote:
Is gen 5 any better and am I required to sign a new contract to upgrade if its available to me.

I'm very pleased with Gen 5. When you use up your data, you can still surf the Web and many people can still stream videos.  I think you will have to sign a new contract if you upgrade, but I'm not 100% sure.