I'll give that a try. Kind of took me back a little when you stated one must reset the iPhone. I saw in the instructions to cycle the power off, and then back on. I wasn't about to reset my phone. Getting it back to its current state would be challenging, even though I do have backups. I'll give a whirl at your 10 step program. Thanks!
Haha... No way. The thought of completely rebuilding all the apps on my phone after a complete reset gives me the creeps. I'm the type that won't even paint some rooms because the thought of tearing apart all the devices and putting it all together again scares the devil out of me.
If I said reset, I likely meant restart.... I'll take a re-look and edit as necessary. Thanks for the heads up.
Edit: My bad. Changed 'reset' to 'reboot'... even italicized it.
Wmason771, sorry it took a bit longer to get back to you. I ran diagnostics and the system did come back as fully operational. I checked diagnostic history to see if I could find anything abnormal, and I found nothing wrong. I tried a few remote commands to your HughesNet modem and did a reboot to see if it helps. Please let me know if there is any improvement.
Tried your steps but no joy. I'm starting to think it is a problem with Apple devices, including iPhones and iPads. I'm sure the latest update broke something in the process of "fixing" something else. I have such a love hate relationship with Apple products. I'll keep trying to play with some other fixes to see if I can rectify this problem. I don't believe it is a Hughesnet problem at this point. That doesn't mean something didn't happen earlier, when I got the 11.3.1 issues and horrible slowdown for a bit. But on my pc laptop, at least, things seem to be working well enough. Since Apple products are part of my work environment, I'll have to figure out something. Working remotely from my ranch is important, and the main reason I got this service, as well as for my elderly parents. I'll figure something out.
Sorry it wasn't much help. Thought it might be a long shot.
Apple has definitely changed something in the past couple of days at the back end. Noticed on both my iPhone (iOS 11.4.1) and iPad (iOS 9.3.5 - it's an old 3): When I hit "update everything" in the App Store, only the first few start updating as normal (if lucky). The rest used to go into sort of a holding pattern waiting for the first few to finish downloading/install. Now they just bail out and revert to an Update button. Sometimes you even have to hit the Update button a few times before it takes. Very strange.
That aside, since we may have eliminated a local issue, the problems you're seeing could be something going on with Cogent, upstream from your gateway. I know that Level3 (my gateway provider) often has weird, erratic slowdowns to Microsoft's CDNs. Could be that Cogent is similarly allergic to Apple.