cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm having a very slow connection and blurry video when I'm skyping lately. Is there anything I can do?
5 REPLIES 5
Associate Professor

Re: skype

Not much you can do because Skype will auto-adjust your video feed based upon your speeds and the other persons speeds.  The best thing you can do is to turn your webcam off, and view the other parties, also, there will be approximately 1 second of delay between you talking and the other hearing it, and vice verse.

Please be aware that if Skype DOES give you GOOD video and audio quality, and your service is getting full bandwidth, you can easily deplete your allowance quickly.  I have gone through a months in a week when I was skype calling a friend often.

Yes, it is very choppy.

I don't think me just turning off my cam and viewing the other parties will help because the other party is very chopping for me as well. 
Assistant Professor

Anna, what kind of speeds are you getting? Also, are you using a wireless router or plugged directly into the modem?

The latency will always make it bit choppy regardless how good your speed is.
Highlighted

Hi Anna,

Welcome to our community and thank you for your post. We are aware that Skype and other video conferencing programs may not work fully with our service. Most of this is due to latency and how quickly your video and audio can transfer between you and your conferencee will be hindered by "lag" time. This does not necessarily mean you have a slow connection, but the time it takes for your signal to travel to space, a gateway and back to your home is really a long distance. Paired with the latency of the person you are speaking to, this can cause the video and audio to be "choppy" or not on time with each other.

As Charles Scott has said, if you do get a good connection, you may want to be very careful about how much data video conferencing can use, even if you are just watching the other person's video. I hope this helps you.

Thank you,
Amanda