cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

slow data and throttled speed faster than last month. locked into contract

slow data and throttled speed faster than last month. locked into contract

I became a hughesnet customer a month ago. The speeds were not 15 times faster as I had seen it to be advertised but it was at least tolerable the first month. I watch a lot of movies, videos, and tv shows online but the representative i spoke with before getting the service installed said it wouldn't be a problem and that i would have enough speed (with no buffering). this was not the case. Also the representative did not tell me that i would only be allowed 10 gigs of "high speed'' data with the plan he thought would work best for me. This plan does not work best for me. I found out that it would cost 100 dollars for the higher plan and 400 dollars to get out of the contract. For me to be paying over 70 dollars, the connection should be fast and the data allowance should definitely be higher. Also I truly believe that your representatives should be required to warn customers about the data limit. I wish someone had told me about the 10 gig limit and that after i reached it, i would get the amazing speed of .08 mbs.
10 REPLIES 10
Associate Professor

Re: slow data and throttled speed faster than last month. locked into contract

The representatives are required to inform customers on data allowance as the service plans aren't built around different speeds but around different amounts of allowance, though higher tier plans do offer higher speeds, that's not their selling point.  Also, speeds are advertised as, "Upto 15x Faster..." that UPTO is very important, and in the fine print on the commercials (the one or two I have seen in the distant past) compared the speeds to that of very, very basic DSL services.

That all aside, Chris, Liz, or Amanda will probably request a sales call review for your account to see if they will waive your ETF should you decide to cancel service.

I'm having the exact same issues.  Good luck

No i did not have to know about the amount of data when i accepted it. If i had known this whole situation would have been avoided. I know this isnt your fault and that you are just trying to help. I really just need a new internet provider because hughesnet will never work for me. I need speed and a large allotment of data without paying an arm and a leg. I just cant afford the termination fee.
Assistant Professor

If you have other ground based options like cable or WISP available then shouldn't go with satellite.

Good morning,

I've made this thread private because your username is is your SAN. Your SAN should never be posted publicly. I highly recommend changing your username.

I will request your sales call to see if our data allowances were disclosed during the call.

Your patience and understanding are much appreciated.

Thanks,
Liz

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->

Hello,

I got a quick turnaround on your sales call review, and here are the findings:

-          Agent pitches the plan as “10 Mbps and a total of 60 Gigabytes of data, which includes 10 anytime and 50 between 2-8am.” 

-          During final terms and conditions, the agent reads the disclosures, “Video streaming is possible with the service. You will be able to enjoy about 20 hours of Standard Definition movies a month with our most popular mid-tier plan and with your free status meter you can even monitor your monthly data allowance,” and, “Usage is subject to a Fair Access Policy. Therefore, extensive data streaming can cause you to hit your monthly data allowance.”

-          The customer does not make any remarks in regards to the pitch or final terms and conditions regarding data. 

Here are some tips on conserving your data so that you don't go over. Keep in mind there are countless factors that can use your data:

- more devices are capable of connecting to the internet: phones, tablets, gaming consoles, SmartTVs, and even refrigerators can connect wirelessly to the internet. Keep track of what devices you leave running on Wi-Fi.

- automatic-updates: your computer and any other programs you use will often keep working in the background, even if you're not actively using that program, in order to keep your system/program up-to-date. Anti-virus programs will periodically use your internet connection to check back with their malware database for any updates. You should have an option to turn off auto-updates and/or schedule them for a later time.

- multimedia content: Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, Facebook, Tumblr, Instagram, news sites, and other websites will contain videos, animated gifs, and sound clips that may start playing as soon as you land on the site. So much content, so easily available almost everywhere on the internet. For starters, try disabling auto-play video on Facebook:
https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/how_to_disable_autoplay_videos_on_facebook
or adjusting your Netflix playback quality to SD: https://help.netflix.com/en/node/87

- more data sources can be found here, as posted by a fellow community member: https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/data-usage-sources-common-and-not-so-common

The most important tool to download is the Status Meter, available in the Customer Support Center, so download that if you haven’t already:
supportcenter.myhughesnet.com

Feel free to post back if you have additional concerns. Again, if you wish to start a new thread, I highly suggest changing your username, otherwise we will have to remove your post. You can change your username so by going to your community profile settings (click on your name in the top right corner in the community). 

Thanks,
Liz

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->

The only reason i didnt go with cable is because i was told that you guys were better than my other option. it turns out that you guys are not. im not able to download any of those data status meters because I dont have a windows computer or a mac so i cant take advantage of those offerings. either way i shouldnt have to compromise or go easy on my data usage when i'm paying over 70 dollars. No thanks. I need more than 10 gigs and i cant afford more with you guys.

Hi,

Satellite internet doesn't purport to be an alternative to terrestrial ISPs like cable. We provide an option to those who would otherwise not have any internet.

Here's what I can do for you. Since you're just a bit over your initial 30 day trial period, you have cable available to you, and it's almost Christmas, I have a case number you can refer to so you can cancel your service without the Early Termination Fee.

Call us at 866.347.3292 and give your case number, 51602576; this has permission from our corporate office to let you cancel without penalty.

Enjoy,
Liz

Thanks,
Liz

Thank you. Sorry for the trouble. Happy holidays.