cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dhorwath
Sophomore

slow internet at night, now on Gen 5

http://testmy.net/db/98IKjYys1

once again, the internet is unuseable at night like it was on Gen 4.  I went a few months with great speeds, now for the last few weeks it's slow at night again.

Can this be happening again?

54 REPLIES 54

so I got this low speed at 7:55pm

http://testmy.net/db/jIuQ10lpT

but I got 48mg earlier at 5:00pm

it's definetly the same issue as I had before with Gen 4 being slow during prime time.  Slow is to be expected, but not like this.

Is there a fix for this?

Unfortunately the same thing is occuring on Beam 60.  Speeds at peak times are ridiculously slow - often less than 1Mb/s. 

Frankly I am tired of Hughesnet apologists telling everyone how to run speed tests.  Most of us have been using the internet through one provider or another for several years and it doesn't take an engineer or a speed test from a specific service to know when download speeds have slowed to a crawl on our systems.  Sure, if you want to see the difference between 40Mb/s and 35Mb/s, run a speed test, but I have been watching a 439MB graphics driver download from nVidia for over an hour and it is only 47% complete; and this level of performance is not just a one-time occurance.

Ridicuolus!

@steveandkris

If you don't want to perform troubleshooting of any form, that's fine by us.  But, you wont recieve any help if you refuse to perform what is asked.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@steveandkris

Speed issues can be caused by numerous things.  This is the reason for requesting speed tests.  What's causing an issue for one person may not be what's causing an issue for another.  Your alluded to knowledge should have clued you into this.  

In addition, speed issues while downloading files aren't always caused by slow provider speed.  

If you refuse to run the speed tests then there is no point in trying to help you.  When someone refuses to perform the steps needed to pinpoint the cause of the issue there's nothing that can be done for them.  

Thank you both for your very helpful responses!

Now, please show me where in my post I said I did not want to run a speed test or trouble-shoot my connection?  I simply said that I did not need to "run a test" in order to know that my internet speeds slow to a crawl at certain times of the day on a regular basis.  For what it's worth, I perform speed tests and trouble-shoot my Hughesnet connection all the time to confirm what I already know.  On a couple of occasions I have even remoted into my work desktop and downloaded the same file from a given site to determine the problem did not lie with the site.  And yes, I know that latency can be an issue with some sites and so on; but haggling over who knows more about internet service is not particularly helpful.

Please don't get me wrong, I appreciate the fact that both of you spend a lot of your personal time helping folks on this site.  Thank goodness that you do!  However, based on the numerous threads to be found here, it is clear that Hughesnet is having problems with their Echostar 19 satellite on more than one beam; and that trouble-shooting and running speed-tests is not providing customers with relief.  Am I right?

That said, I am sure you will both agree that, as someone who is paying Hughesnet more than $2,000 per year, it is perectly reasonable to expect a consistent level of service.

Liz?

Are we still supposed to be patient???

Any update on my beam?

Good morning dhorwath,

Thank you for checking in. While our engineers are continuing to work on network performance, we have no updates on any specific upcoming efforts. Once we do I'll let you know.

Please check your private messages in the top right corner of the community page as I've sent you a PM to further address your concerns.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

any further update on the beam I'm on?  The tech re-pointed my dish but there's no change.  I still have decent speeds in the morning that fade to 1 or less mgb afternoon/evening.

Good morning dhorwath,

Thank you for checking in, we did get some updates. I've created a new complimentary dispatch to your site to help address your concerns. Your dispatch is currently scheduled for our earliest available slot: Friday, Mar 16, 2018 between 08:00 AM-11:00 AM. Call us at 866.347.3292 and reference case #110221752 if you need to reschedule. Please let us know how the site visit goes.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

I spoke with him and he said he is going to re-point me to Ecostar 17.  I will have to wait until I'm back on data to check the speeds.  

OK great, thank you for the update.

looks like primetime speed is averaging 3-4mg now.  better than it was before.  mornings were around 13-30

Hi dhorwath,

Thank you for the update, I'll send this over to engineering to let them know. Once we have any news to share we'll post back.

Hi dhorwath,

What is your testmy.net username? That way we can see your full testing history in one table.

it's davehorwath

Hi dhorwath,

At your convenience, can you please run more current tests under your davehorwath testmy.net account so we can get those added to your results history here? I just want to make sure we have tests run with the 25 MB test file size under the Hughes Network provider, otherwise engineering will question the tests.

Regarding your PM about the billing concern I can definitely escalate that to make that change for you. I'll let you know when it's done.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

notice the speed drop after 7pm

I am over monthly data though

https://testmy.net/stats/?&t=u&d=04112018&x=90&l=25&q=davehorwath

Thanks, I'll send you a token so you don't have to wait for the data to reset. Also, your bill date change has been processed, it will take effect May 27.

I hope you didn't send a token because the speed tests are really bad lately
https://testmy.net/quickstats/davehorwath
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@dhorwath

If you're still out of your normal data, but using tokens, you'll see the amount of token data you have left where it says Token Bytes Available in the Usage Meter.  If you're out of your plan data and you have token data in that spot, you're presently using the token data.  

And I agree.  If you are, in fact, presently using token data, those speeds are dismal.  

Hi dhorwath,

Thanks for the latest speed tests. I ran new diagnostics and they are showing appropriate plan speeds. When running the speed tests, is your TP-Link router also connected to the HughesNet modem? I'd like to get some speed tests run while your computer is the only thing connected to the HughesNet modem, please.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.