cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dhorwath
Sophomore

slow internet at night, now on Gen 5

http://testmy.net/db/98IKjYys1

once again, the internet is unuseable at night like it was on Gen 4.  I went a few months with great speeds, now for the last few weeks it's slow at night again.

Can this be happening again?

54 REPLIES 54
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

You may already know the drill, however, some things have changed with Gen5 service...

You should create a testmy.net account and perform 3-5 tests during different parts of the day. Then share the account results link with us here.

Please keep in mind that Hughesnet will only accept testmy.net and the official Hughesnet speed test results. Tests from other sites like speedtest.net are not accepted due to the compression technologies and latency that satellite deploys.

Most important points to remember during this test:
-do the tests while directly connected to the HughesNet modem with a LAN cable (NO third party Router or Wireless devices can be used)
-use the 25MB size download test file ONLY

-If testing upload instead of download, you must use a 4MB size upload test file
-space each test at least 5 minutes apart
-post your results URL here, it may look something like http://testmy.net/quickstats/C0RR0SIVE

For a more in depth guide on running the tests, please visit: http://customer.kb.hughesnet.com/Pages/7001.aspx

The Reps are on M-F from approximately 8AM to 5PM Eastern. They will be the ones to address your speed issues, but they will need these tests to do so.

Jim111

My speeds are slow all the time at first it was great after a few weeks  here we go again now I'm down to the engineers I hope thay can fix this at first the speeds were great and now I'm lucky to get half the speeds if that thanks for listening.

i'm at work during the day but I'll check this weekend.  problem is, i'm close to going over my data limit once again, with a few weeks until re-set.  I'm wondering if there's an issue with my beam, can someone from Hughesnet look into my account and see if there's a reason for the speed reduction?

I hate to hear that you are having the same problems as me...I'm located in VA and am on the dreaded 068 Beam, which apparently has major issues.  Crazy slow internet in the evening and constant DNS errors.

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

I feel your frustrustation. Truth is though speed is not guaranteed on satellite. They will do what they can to improve it if you work with them and do what is asked.

http://legal.hughesnet.com/SubAgree-03-16-17.cfm

HughesNet service is available in the contiguous U.S., Alaska and Puerto Rico. Stated speeds and uninterrupted use of service are not guaranteed. Actual speeds will likely be lower than the maximum speeds during peak hours.  In addition, when connected to the Service using Wi-Fi, the user’s experience will vary based on the proximity to the Wi-Fi source and the strength of the signal, and its usage is subject to the Fair Access Policy. 

I'm familiar with the legal aspects, I've been through this before on Gen 4.  I was given a special deal to switch to Gen 5.

The speed issue isn't that I'm getting reduced some during primetime, I'm down to 1mps during primetime and it should never get that low even when I'm over my data limit

l must be on that beam, because I've also been getting the DNS errors as well.  I forgot to mention that.  

Someone at Hugesnet called me today for a survey and I told him what was happening.  He said that I shouldn't be using my own router but to only use the Hugesnet modem/router.  He said that could cause a conflict.  I don't think this is the problem though because I was doing fine for 3-4 months until just recently.

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Beam 68 was having problems, and may still be -- I'm on Beam 68 and I still have some very low speeds at times, and have very rarely gone to the high speeds others on Gen 5 have mentioned (one time I hit 83 or 84 Mbps, but only for a few seconds).  I know the engineers are trying to figure out what's going on, but these things do take time.  And like someone else said, speed is not guaranteed with satellite. WAY too many things can affect it. Still, the company's looking at the speed issues. 

anyone working on this?  I'm not sure what beam I'm on

Hi dhorwath,

We just had a call with the engineers concerning slow speeds and they say that after the recent network adjustments, it will take a few weeks for things to balance out. Significant improvements won't be immediate, but gradual. We're going to check in again with engineering next week, so please monitor your performance until then and let us know how it goes. Periodic speed tests will be useful so we can show those to the engineers next week, so please follow C0RR0SIVE's instructions above to run speed tests.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

I don't have a recent speed test, but when trying to stream the speed is like a yo-yo.  It suddenly drops and the movie freezes, then comes back again. This only occurs during prime time hours

I'll have to see if I can capture this in a speed test.  I've been down this road before on Gen 4 and was told all problems would be solved by upgrading to Gen 5.  

this is beyond frustrating, and I do have other satellite options that I may need to look into since I'm not under contract any more

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

@dhorwath, if you haven't already, you should create an account at Testmy.net.  You will need to run some tests of download speeds.  Run tests several times a day, and run them about 3 to 5 minutes apart.  Chose the manual download and then the 25 MB test.  Post the link to your results here. Your link will be http://testmy.net/quickstats/yourusername

http://testmy.net/db/bEqCaMwzZ

here's a test at 8:15 pm.  Still under my data limit

it's a prime time issue, just like with Gen 4

Good morning,

Had a meeting yesterday about this, we're still working on bringing relief to this beam and others. We should have an update on this progress next week, after which we will hopefully be issuing dispatches to make adjustments on your site. That's all the information we have so far.

Your patience and understanding are much appreciated.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

ok, thanks for checking in with that.

Let me know when it's fixed and I can run tests if need be

sorry, out of data once again.  Can't help to troubleshoot to see if it's fixed until the end of the month

Good morning dhorwath,

No worries, we won't need any speed tests for now. We're still pending feedback on whether we can send a tech to address these speed concerns. I anticipate getting an update this afternoon, I'll let you know once we have any news to share.

Hi Liz,

Can you answer, do you know if beam 67 is also a part of what will be fixed? I've not been here to complain about how slow it is in the evenings until now, and as I figured, it's not just me...  I can't even stream a minute of video at 144p..... 

I know... run speed tests... and I have just started that, but I don't need them to know there's a problem, and I know it's not me, because it only happens between oh.. 7pm-11pm eastern...  HOWEVER, some times during the day, I lose internet connection, although all the lights are lit on the modem. It even hapens with a CAT cable... 

Anyway, so much for Gen 5 solving all the problems I also had on the last version.... 

Good morning jlantz,

Thank you for reaching out, yes we can certainly dispatch a tech to your site to try to address your concerns. I'm still pending feedback on whether we can go ahead.

uuuummm... OK, I wasn't expecting a technician...

I was figuring that since  most everyone else here on the forums on GEN5 seem to all pretty much be having very similar problems.. and I'm especially seeing Beam 55 and 68.. and me being on 67, next to 68, I was guessing a lot of things are all too much the same...  

Things are pretty much fine during the days.. it's in the evenings that I feel like I'm on dial-up... Like I said, I'm just today starting to run speed tests every 3 hours...  I'm sure the pattern will be like an upside down bell curve in the evenings.. .

But hey, if Hughes wants to eat the bill to make sure I'm happy.. I'm happy too.. IF they fix the problem... 

http://testmy.net/db/QNhFm7ABX

my plan reset for the month so I ran a speed test tonight.  the range is from 1 - 4 tonight.

Any update on my beam?  I'm on 64