Hughesnet Community

slow internet, stuck at times

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Phyllis

slow internet, stuck at times

Spoke to customer service yesterday.   Download speed was averaging 15.  He said they want it to be 10.  Now it is a 9.  I don't use the internet often so when I do, I expect it to work!  So yesterday I was told all was good, even though it wasn't!  Something needs to be done!!
4 REPLIES 4
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

If you have not already done so, please set up an account at testmy.net and run some tests under that account using the manual 12MB size for download tests.  You can then click on "Results" and paste the URL into a post to allow the test results to be seen.

testmy.net and Hughesnet's own are the two tests that are amenable to satellite internet, giving accurate results. 

http://testmy.net/

Pawnee County

Is that 15Mb/s if so that is pretty darn good.  With Satellite Internet anything above 5Mb/s is very good.  It isn't cable it has to travel 22,300 miles up then back then up again then back just to get to you that is 892,000 miles at 186,000 mps so it will slow down a bit.  Most DSL is only 5 to 10 Mb/s while cable can get very high like 1 gb/s or more but HughesNet is for us who cannot get cable or DSL.  If I got 15 Mb/s all the time I would be a very happy camper. 
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

In addition, when running the tests, it is best to run three tests, spaced at least five minutes apart.  If you are able, it's good to run a block of three at various times of the day.  If not, just run a few when you can.

Also, as Pawnee stated, your speeds are not bad.  A speed of 15Mbps is fantastic, and a speed of 9Mbps is pretty good. 

With that said, the reps will need those speed tests to determine if there is a problem, and if so, what may be causing it.   

El Dorado Netwo
Advanced Tutor

Phyllis, As Gabe and Pawnee pointed out, if you're referring to your speeds in Megabits per second (Mbps), then getting 9 to 15 Mbps means your system is working up to par, and then some.

The person you spoke with who mentioned 10 was probably referring to the "maximum"  burst speed for your HughesNet  plan as being "up to 10 Mbps." It's not a guaranteed 10 Mbps. And, if speed is your only issue, then that's not a problem. 

So what exactly is it that's "not working?" 
El Dorado Networks |Diamond Springs, CA | eldoradonetworks.com