slow internet

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
samueld
New Poster

slow internet

i been with hughesnet since 2009 overall not alot complaints been good i have had couple months where they lost my payment i had to double pay and i am not very happy about that. but learned how to pay where they cant loose it now say i didnt pay. but i am complaining about i went to top speed package a year ago or so and have firestick watch movies and speed doing good no buffering tell last three weeks now i loosing internet on it my computer and they raised my rate i will be switching services if i dont get things fixed ery soon.

11 REPLIES 11
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

The blue links should open in a new page. 

First, HughesNet doesn't increase one's package cost while they have the service unless they had a discount, so the most likely reason your cost went up is because a discount ended.  You can view every charge on your invoices by signing in to the HughesNet myAccount site.  After signing in, click on the "My Bill" tab, then click "View" on whichever invoice you want to look at.  In the popup windows that opens, scroll to the bottom and click on "View Site Details" on the bottom left.  With that you can see a breakdown that includes every charge on your bill. 

Concerning the internet issue, with a device connected directly to the modem with a LAN cable, are you able to go to the System Status page of the System Control Center?  If so, are both boxes at the top of the page green?  Do the "System Summary" and "System Status" boxes contain all green check marks?  

If you are not able to go to that page, or the boxes are not green, or you don't see all green check marks, try power cycling the modem and computer.  To do so, shut down your computer, then unplug the modem (at the wall socket, NOT at the back of the modem).  Wait about a minute, then plug the modem back in.  Wait about five minutes, then start your computer.  If everything is okay, the power cycle fixed the issue.  If not, please reply to further troubleshoot.  

GabeU do you work for Hughes net and of what are you an Asst. Professor? What university?
GabeU

@Extech wrote:
GabeU do you work for Hughes net and of what are you an Asst. Professor? What university?  

If you have an issue, please post in the appropriate section to get help.  If you're here for nothing other than sarcasm, as your posts suggest, please don't bother.  This community is for customer support.    

well i been trying to respond but this internet for 114.44 dollars month so slow cant watch any shows with out getting to slow internet service or even to slow to let me into let me check this i dont know what area i need to ask or complain or sarcasm i need to let you know this service sucks right now i tried the unplug thing didnt work it shows green on all the check marks and two boxes are green and still saying to slow internet.

GabeU

@samueld

Sorry, got a little side tracked and missed your reply.  

Being that everything seems to be okay with your connection, the next step would be to run some speed tests to establish the speed issue for the reps.  Because a multitude of things can cause speed issue, the speed tests need to be run using a specific protocol, which will be in the instrucitons below.  From the timeline you gave, it sounds like you have Gen4, so the instruction will pertain to that.  

To help the HughesNet Customer Service Reps get a head start on your speed concerns you should create a testmy.net account and, while signed into that account, perform 3-5 speed tests during different parts of the day, then share the account results link with us here.

Please keep in mind that HughesNet will only accept testmy.net and the official HughesNet speed test results. Tests from other sites like speedtest.net are not accepted due to the compression technologies and latency that satellite deploys.

Most important points to remember during this test:
-do the tests while directly connected to the HughesNet modem with a LAN cable (NO third party Router or Wireless devices can be used)
-use the 12MB size download test file ONLY 
-If testing upload instead of download, you must use a 4MB size upload test file
-space each test at least 5 minutes apart
-post your testmy results URL here, it may look something like http://testmy.net/quickstats/yourusername

For a more in depth guide on running the tests, please visit: http://customer.kb.hughesnet.com/Pages/7001.aspx

The Reps are on M-F from approximately 8AM to 5PM Eastern. They will be the ones to address your speed issues, but they will need these tests to do so.

GabeU

@samueld

Rather than posting individual tests, please post your Results page URL.  To get to that URL, when signed into testmy.net, click on Results on the upper right, then, when on the Results page, please copy the URL in the address bar and paste it into a reply.  It will look like the link shown in the instructions.  

If you aren't running the tests under an account at testmy.net, please create one and run the tests under that account.  This is needed to post the Results URL.  The reps and/or engineers need to be able to view your test results in a single location.  That Results URL provides that ability.  

As instructed, please use the manual 12MB test size for download tests, and, if you choose to run them, the manual 4MB test size for upload tests, though the download tests are the ones that are most needed.  

P.S.  If your speeds are very good, the 12MB test will sometimes resize to something larger.  This is normal.  

GabeU

@samueld

Also, I automatically made an assumption I shouldn't have made.  I assumed you have Gen4 from your given timeline.  Is this correct?

@GabeU

GabeU, you have been responding to customers who have understandable frustrations in officious, unsympathetic, unhelpful ways. Most of the time, people don't need tech support unless they're having a problem. Problems are frustrating. People are paying good money for HughesNet service. When people don't get what they pay for, complaining is completely normal and completely acceptable. Though Liz is pure gold, HughesNet's tech support, otherwise, is far from an industry leader.

I'd suggest that you cool it and give people a break.

GabeU

@IntoTheWoods wrote:

@GabeU

GabeU, you have been responding to customers who have understandable frustrations in officious, unsympathetic, unhelpful ways. Most of the time, people don't need tech support unless they're having a problem. Problems are frustrating. People are paying good money for HughesNet service. When people don't get what they pay for, complaining is completely normal and completely acceptable. Though Liz is pure gold, HughesNet's tech support, otherwise, is far from an industry leader.

I'd suggest that you cool it and give people a break.

Example?  And if it's my reply to Extech, don't bother.  Actually, scratch that.  No need to hijack the OP's thread in which he is asking for help, and whose reply I missed because of this.  I will continue to comport myself in the same manner I have been.    

With that question asked, I will continue to give people advice and help where I can, and direct them to where they can get advice and help if I can't, regardless of your opinion.  This is a support site, not a complaint site.  If someone shows frustration, or shows frustration while asking for help, or says "me too", it's completely understandable, and I have shown empathy and/or sympathy for many who are having issues, as is evidenced.  If someone is here for nothing more than complaints and sarcasm, especially when it's directed at me, they get the response they get.