Hughesnet Community

slow speed, dropped signal, usage

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
supercomp101

slow speed, dropped signal, usage

Has not been 1 month of service and am having problems. I have used all my anytime data. This is funny as the your speed test shows 28.8 and test my  speed test shows 18. How much data have I lost trying to help you figure out the problem. Also what is the location of my  server. There is a case on this 102273269 if that helps you. From 2pm to 10 pm with data allowance still full I still have buffering on streaming, why, the speed test show its not the router. Help on this would be nice instead of read off the book answers.
10 REPLIES 10
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

"Has not been 1 month of service and am having problems. I have used all my anytime data"

Frankly this does not bode well in light of the fact that during the first 10 days (HN9000) or 20 days (HT1100) your allowance is reset daily.

This is done to allow you to update all of your devices without impacting your data allowance.

If you are out of data and the first month is not yet over you certainly have an out of control usage pattern going on.

All Hughes data plans have caps on monthly usage due to the throughput limits of the satellites and Gateways that handle the Earth side traffic.

Activities such as video streaming have to be done very sparingly with a close eye on the usage meter. Video is very data intensive. Reducing resolution to SD or lower will result in less data usage.

All "sync" and "cloud" functions need to be disabled as these too bleed off data.

Once your data allowance for a given time period is exhausted you can expect your speeds to be throttled to about 150 Kbps or 3 X dialup speed unless your plan offers and your activity level falls within the limits of "SmartBrowse".

Hughes does supply you with a number of "tools" to measure your data. These consist of three USAGE meters and two HISTORY displays.

Here is a roundup of the those tools:

Usage meters: There are three of them.

#1: SCC meter: (System Control Center)

The following meter resides "inside" your modem. It can be accessed by entering 192.168.0.1 into your browsers address bar.

This display shows remaining data in Anytime, Bonus Bytes and purchased Token Data allowances.

The "resolution" of the meter is .1 GB (100 MB) and as such it will round up or down to the nearest 50 MB.

The SCC page also gives other important information including refill date and system condition and any active errors by the color of the two icons at the top center of the page.

#2: Download Status Meter:

The Download Status Meter is a utility that can be downloaded from here:

http://my.hughesnet.com/myaccount

Once downloaded and installed it resides on your computers systray on the lower right of your screen.

It too shows remaining allowances for all three data categories as well as indicators of if use of Token Bytes or SmartBrowse features are active. There is also a "usage curve" indicator to tell you if you are using data a rate that will cause you to FAP before your usage period refills.

#3: myAccount Meter:

The meter above can be viewed after logging in here:

http://my.hughesnet.com/myaccount

IMO this is the most accurate of the usage meters reading down to the single MB.

It also shows remaining amounts of Anytime, Bonus Bytes and Token data. It also provides one method of purchasing additional data in the form of "Tokens" by clicking the Buy Tokens button at the lower right.

In addition to the usage meters there are also two "History" displays. These displays are not real-time meters but have a delay factor built in.

The first of these is a secondary function of the Download Status Meter listed as #2 above:

This is a look back at  one week, two weeks, 30 or 60 day periods.

The second history display is available after login at http://my.hughesnet.com/myaccount click on USAGE and selecting HISTORY:

Display period options range from a rolling 24-hour period and extend to week, month or two month periods

Those are the extent of the Hughes supplied usage/data "tools".

It is useless to run speed tests while in FAP. When running speed tests the only tests accepted by Engineering are either the Hughes "house" test found after logging into the myAcount page and the one at www.testmy.net

It is suggested that you create an account at testmy.net so that your tests can be saved and performance patterns can be seen if your issue is forwarded to Engineering.

It is suggested that you run a series of 3 to 5 manual speed tests of 12 MB download and 2 MB upload. Space those tests at least 5 minutes apart. Try to post 3 sets of tests in a 24 hour period, early, mid-day and evening.

Run those tests while connected directly to the modem. This is necessary because of a number of router functions such as QoS that will cause "traffic shaping" to occur. That traffic shaping is not a constant function but the result of bias that the router can introduce depending on which devices are connected and the activity of those devices including background processes that may not be readily apparent. Additionally certain routers may re-route wireless devices to other frequencies in an effort to "load balance" the Network load.

It would be helpful if you were to describe your "network" and connected devices so that we may further assist you in determining where your data is being used and what is impacting (besides FAP) your speeds.

supercomp101

Have 2 of the 3 meters you suggested, looked at it at 11 am today 1/16/17 and found that the hours with no one using the internet or any thing else it jumped to 15869 of use. How is this possible if ever thing was unplugged except my pc. I did read another thread on that same concern. My network is  your modem wired to a net gear nighthawk router, from there its Wi-Fi with 2 iPad 3 Blu-ray players with Netflix. None are running during the hours of 8 am till 3pm, no onw is home to use them. As far as updating dialing , it did not happen and when I called on this concern it was 1 week after the install and very heavy streaming going on. My meter showed 99% left and the call told me 95% left. I was trying to see if I would need more data and upgrade before the end of the year(2016). Now what?  7 days till I get refreshed for the speed and now I am slower than dsl, this with a satellite is not good. The plans for more data is not much better either. More money, same speed and a very small increase of data.  
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Two Apple devices and three BD players .... ouch!

Many devices are not truly "off" when they appear to be. My wife's iPad connects daily for example.

The only practical way to prevent hibernating devices form connecting is to disconnect the Ethernet cable that runs between the router and the back of the Hughes modem. Leave the Hughes modem powered on however so that "sync functions" are maintained between the modem and the Gateway. That "sync" usage is not charged against your allowance.

You didn't state what platform (HN9000 or HT1100) or plan level you have but the truth is that any service with data caps does not lend itself to streaming activity very well.

If you had a 20/50 plan that only affords you 20,000 MB of Anytime data (8am to 2am) for the entire month.  20K divided by 30 days is a very meager 666 MB per day total usage if you are to avoid FAP or the need to purchase Token Data.

In order for the usage meters to be accurate the Modem needs to remain powered up. Even then there is a short lag as data is used and that usage reflected in the meter.

As far as usage during disconnect periods follow this procedure and post the results here in this thread:

Liz

Hi supercomp101,

I see it's your first post here, so welcome to the community! We'd like to help address your speed concerns first. To reiterate what Gwalk said, please follow the steps here to set up a testmy.net account and run speed tests so that we get a proper evaluation of your system performance:

http://customer.kb.hughesnet.com/Pages/7001.aspx

Most important points:
-do the tests while directly connected to the HughesNet modem
-use the 12MB test file
-space each test at least 5 minutes apart
-post your results URL here, it may look something like http://testmy.net/quickstats/[yourusername]

Since you're currently subject to our Fair Access Policy, your Prime Plus plan speeds have been reduced. I've sent you a complimentary token to accommodate the speed tests, so you may receive an e-mailed order confirmation for the free token.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

Thanks,
Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

supercomp101

http://testmy.net/db/FbRyvhrNc%20%20http://testmy.net/FbRyvhrNc.png Here it is. Might just had stayed with Frontier this speed is so slow I can not even do my work at home. There is also no plan offered to fit what I need, Why? You offer 4 plans that have as I use it, little to no usable data unless I want to stay up all night. Is there other plans not offered on the your site? or can one be costumed built to fit some of my needs?
Liz

Hi supercomp101,

The plans offered in your area are the only options until new plans happen to come along, there is no custom plan option.

Thanks for your testmy.net username, I only see one test result:

As Gwalk suggested, at least 3 tests will give us a better idea of what speeds you're getting. 

-do the tests while directly connected to the HughesNet modem
-use the 12MB test file
-space each test at least 5 minutes apart

Your cooperation and patience are greatly appreciated. We look forward to hearing back from you.

Thanks,
Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Just in case others may be able to help, too...

http://testmy.net/quickstats/supercomp101

supercomp101

ok so what are the proper channels to cancel this account as it was not what I  have the time for. Not even 1 month customer service on the phone is hard to deal with and reading from a book is highly unprofessional. Thanks for your help on this forum any ways.
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

If you wish to cancel you need to call at 866-347-3292, please remember upon cancellation you must return the Hughesnet Modem, Power Brick, and Radio located on the dish, otherwise you may face additional fees.
Liz

Good morning supercomp101,

This is correct. Our agent on the phone will provide all the details regarding your cancellation when you call in.

Good luck with your future ISP.

-Liz