slow speeds here, please help

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Joe_
Freshman

slow speeds here, please help

I have a HT1100 modem.   The download speed has been abysmal since the system was installed a few years ago.   We have never been happy with the performance of the system..   At it's best it has been substandard.

My download tests are here:

https://testmy.net/quickstats/joe_

Of the four tests the high was 19mbps.  Low was 1.6 mbps.  Throwing out the high test  and the remaining 3 average out to 6.8 mbps.  Even when all are averaged together it's 10mbps.  That's less than half of what is promised.  Please fix.

Now that I have posted my data what is the next step to getting this resolved?

16 REPLIES 16
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@Joe_ 

The link you gave doesn't work, but after searching a little through HughesNet results I found the following, which I believe is you...

It's possible that the reps will need more tests, as the tests you ran were all from the same time.  They normally need a batch of tests to be run at a few different times of the day in order to determine whether the speed issue is overall or due to something like congestion, which often happens in the evenings.  Ideally, they'd like a batch of tests to be run in the morning, afternoon and evening, but they know that not everyone can do this.  Still, again, they may need a few more from you.  If you can, it would be helpful to run a few tests in the early evening if you aren't able to run any during the day, then later in the evening.  This way they can see if there is any difference between times the tests are run.

Edit: It looks like there is an extra space added onto the end of your link, which is likely why it didn't work. 

The link in your reply is the correct one. 

I couldn't figure out how to edit the post or I would have corrected it.

Here's the link again in working form, hopefully.  

Those are my tests.

I'll try to make time after  the next couple of days to run some tests at different times during the day.

So much for fixing my non working link.  For some reason the board added the additional "-" to the post when it posted it.   I  double checked my work  by pasting the same  link into the browser command line and it worked fine.  However when it was posted on here it came with an extra character at the end.

No idea how to put up a working link at this point, editing is apparently turned off for me so nothing I can do since my account there is under the user name Joe_    .    Hopefully tech will read your post and use the link that you provided.  Kudos to you for providing the only working link to my data.:)

GabeU

@Joe_ 

After you're pasting the link you're adding spaces onto the end of it, which causes it to not work.  The spaces look like a continuation of the underline, of which your link does have one at the end.  I find that when posting a link it's easiest to paste it on it's own line, then immediately field down to the next line to keep from adding anything after the link, as it's very easy to mistakenly add a space or even text to the end of a link.  This is why the link I posted is on its own line, like so...

But, trust me, it's not difficult to accidentally do that.  I did the same thing quite a few times when I started posting on this Community.  It's okay, though, as that link goes to all of your results, including any new ones, so the reps will still be able to see them from the link I posted.

BTW, to edit a post you can click on the three dots to the upper right of the post and then click on Edit Message if it's the original opening post, or Edit Reply if it's a reply.  

Thank you for your assistance both with the problem links and the forum edit function.

I went back and repaired both of the links with  the hope of making the techs life a little easier and their day a little less stressful.

GabeU

@Joe_ 

You're very welcome.  🙂

Amanda

Hi Joe,

Thank you for providing the speed test results right away! I've tried running diagnostics on your system but cannot seem to communicate with it. Is your HughesNet modem powered on?

Thanks,

Amanda

Amanda, 

My apologizes that it was off.   It will be back on late tomorrow afternoon.

GabeU

@Joe_ 

Unless there is a particular reason it should be off, it would probably be best for you to plug it in in the morning.  This way they can run diagnostics on it at any point during the day, as they may not be able to do so in the late afternoon, for whatever reason.

Were back  and the router is on again.  I turned the router on in the afternoon on Thursday as promised

I posted a new test on testmy.net done this morning.  Download speed was a whopping 6.21 Mbps 777 kB/s.  

Edit:

also added a test performed at 13:30 with a result of 3.9 Mbps 487 kB/s.

Bump

GabeU

@Joe_ wrote:

Bump

There's no need to bump your thread.  When the reps are back on they will see a notification that you replied.  The reps aren't on during the weekends.  

Hello Joe,

After taking a look at your account, the system seems to be functioning normally and your speeds look great from our end.

Your plan offers download speeds of up to 10 Mbps and as you may already know, speeds are not guaranteed. You may experience slower speed during peak periods, typically between the hours of 6pm to midnight local time, but this can vary from day to day depending on the total amount of internet traffic; however, if you are experiencing consistently slow speeds (closer to 3 Mbps) I'd like to investigate further. Are these the only two tests you've run since your modem came back online?

-Jay

Yes those are the only tests I have run since I got back.  The dish was only powered down for two days before those two tests were run,  hopefully you can use the previous test also.

See what you can do with it, let me know if I can help.   

Joe, 

If you feel that you are experiencing consistently slow speeds, please provide some additional tests done throughout the day so we can better gauge your average speeds.

-Jay

Joe,

It's been a while since we last heard from you, so we will close this thread. If you still have concerns, please start a new thread and include a detailed explanation so we can better assist you.

-Jay