slow speeds

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DTSharp
New Poster

slow speeds

only 1.02 download speed.  using Gen5.  I just normally use my Verizon Hotspot, works alot better, but I need internet connection to stream movies

is there an update?  what can I do to improve to 25Mbps?

thanks

8 REPLIES 8
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

You can begin by running this protocol: This will allow the HN reps and mods to address speed issues. 

that didn't work.  "testmynet says "You did not pass security check, please try again"  I did and tried again.  no luck

however, I did test my speed on Hughsnet's link, that's where I got the 1.02 speed

maratsade

without speed results from Testmy.net, speed issues can't be addressed here as they can't be escalated to the HN engineers, who require Testmy.net results. 

Please post a screenshot of the security error and detail what steps you followed that got you there. 

EDIT: never mind; I was able to reproduce the error.  That's an issue with Testmy, and I'm sure it'll be fixed soon.  EDIT 2:  Their contact email is admin@testmy.net

maratsade

FYI, I contacted the admin for Testmy.net, and he's fixed the issue. You should be able to get an account now and run the required tests. 

GabeU

@DTSharp 

Did you check to make sure you aren't out of data?  

I'm not out of data.  first response from HughesNet was to go though a "protocall" system check, etc...  the way I look at that HughesNet wants me to do their job, unless they want to pay me they can come out and do the system check themselves.  HughesNet better hurry I'm looking into other options 

maratsade

Hughesnet is not going to hurry, because the job of troubleshooting your home network is yours.  Sounds like you're not willing to do that, so you should go with another ISP, as is your right. 

GabeU

@DTSharp wrote:

HughesNet better hurry I'm looking into other options 

While you're certainly free to do whatever you wish, nothing can be done for your speed issues without your participation.  And please keep in mind that if you decide to cancel your service because the speeds aren't very good, the Early Termination Fee you will be charged will absolutely be valid, as you refused to participate in troubleshooting the issue in order for the reps to be able to help you with it.  

YOU need to run the tests, as they need to be run from YOUR location.  The reps can't do that for you.  The tests will both demonstrate the issue and show other aspects that may help to point to a cause.  

The ball is in your court.