cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

slow upload speeds

glennbaumann

slow upload speeds

Just had my system installed thinking it would be better than Exede.  I'm think it might not be the case.
Download speeds are great.  Upload speeds suck.  90kbs Come on... I think I had better upload when I was on dial-up back in the 90s.  I was getting these speeds on my cell phone WiFi connection and my Computer connection therefore I concluded that it's an Hughes Net equipment problem.  Tech Support was pretty much a joke.  They had their little trouble shooting script that they had me run through.  wouldn't listen to my logic. Took 2 hours and 3 different technicians if you can call them that.  After two hours they arrived at the same conclusion I did to before I started the Chat.  Couldn't call in because I use WiFi calling at home and need around 1MPS upload or the person on the other end doesn't hear me.  Anyway the conclusion was that my case needs to be escalated.  It will take 48 hours to resolve.  Why's that?  Hughes Net had an installation tech out here the day after I placed the order to install their faulty equipment.  Why can they send someone out with a new modem and sending receiving unit and install it today.  It has to be one or the other or both of these modules.  Since no one else is currently complaining of slow upload speeds it isn't the satellite.    Reading others reviews, I concerned it might take longer.
10 REPLIES 10
Chris11
Alum

Re: slow upload speeds

Hello glennbaumann,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community! I'm sorry to hear of your experience. One thing that sticks out is your WiFi calling. What type of set up do you have? Is it our VoIP service? If it is a third party service, is it a device that is within the connection of your network set up? There are many things set up wise that could be the cause. More clarification would help. Hope to hear from you soon.

Thank you,
Chris
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

glenn,

I could be wrong, but I believe the installation techs are set up a little differently than the repair techs, and there are most likely a lot more of them.  Hopefully the case escalation will have a result. 

With that said, even when the problem is figured out, I wouldn't expect to get 1Mbps upload on a regular basis.  You may hit that sometimes, and sometimes even higher, but it's not guaranteed.  

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
glennbaumann

My WiFi calling is with T-Mobiie using a T-mobile Cell router.  It worked well with Exede as long as I had a 800Kbs upload speed or better.  I've been monitoring upload speeds over the last day and Hughs Net is up to 400Kbs from time to time and sometimes jumps to 1Mbs but it is no way consistent.  If I switch to a different HN plan that has 2 Mbs upload speeds can I depend upon at least a 1Mbs upload minimum?  I don't know how HN can offer a Voip service with the upload speeds I'm getting.  Voip needs around 1Mps.
GabeU

"Depend" is a tricky word.  The speed's not guaranteed, and although you MAY very well get a speed of at least 1MB, it may not always be that.  I wouldn't bet the house on it being at least that speed all of the time.  That's one of the inherent problems not only with satellite internet, but any internet that can be quite affected by the number of people online at any given time.  Then throw weather into the mix, and it's even less likely to always be at a certain speed.

The official reps may be able to give you an idea of what the average upload speed is of a certain package, and maybe even regarding your gateway, but there's no way to guarantee it, nor guarantee that the speed you have one hour will be the same the next.  There are just too many variables in the mix with this type of internet. Not only that, but don't forget the high latency involved, as well.  Unfortunately there's really no definite answer.  I wish there was, but for me, if it has to have a certain speed for it to work ( I don't have a phone like that) and it's something that I need to work 100% of the time, I'd be a little leery.  I like Hughesnet, but that's just me being honest.  It wouldn't be something that I could rely on to work 100% of the time.  Sorry.

I know that a lot of people have Hughesnet phone service.  I don't.  I'm still old school and still have a landline.  I do have a cell phone, but have only used it for a total of 16 minutes in the last 12 months.  I've sent two texts in my entire life.  LOL.   I can't attest to the reliability of their phone service, as the only thing you really ever see regarding it on here is when someone is having a problem, but then again, for every person that has a problem there could be 100 that don't and you never hear from them because of it.  Not that many people that are happy or even satisfied with a product come onto message boards to express that, just the people that have a problem.

Perhaps someone with a higher package can give you some more informed answers, and maybe the reps will be able to when they are back on Tuesday (they're off on Monday 7/4).          

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
glennbaumann

I realize they only promise up to 1 MPS but 90 to 200 kps is ridiculous.  They have set a call with me this week.  LOL.  I'll hear them but they won't hear me.  I let them know that they are going to have a problem with our phone connection.  I do need to get this resolved because I have no phone connection here at home and don't want to return the 20th Century landline.  Other have my upload problem, I like the service.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

That is low, are you saying that is the normal speed or mainly during peak times?

PS: Is that speed measured by Testmy.net, not some phone app or other third party test? They can be way off.
Chris11
Alum

Hello glennbaumann,

That clears up a lot. Our VoIP service works with our internet because it is made and configured to work with our specific satellite infrastructure. Third party services typically don't work well if at all. With the complexity of satellite internet, having every type work with our service is not possible. This is not due to us providing our own VoIP service but only has to do with varying standards of these different services. Also data is not counted against you when using our VoIP service. Third party services will use up your allowance.

With that said. You currently have our Prime Plus plan. Upgrading to Pro Plus would give you "up to" upload speeds of 2 Mbps. However this would not guarantee the T mobile service working any better. In addition, those upload speeds you've seen would be low only if you were seeing them while directly connecting one computer to our HughesNet modem. Taking everything else out of the equation. I'm curious, how and where are you running the tests? FYI, our own or www.testmy.net using 12 MB test size are the correct settings to use. Hope to hear from you soon.

Thank you,
Chris
GabeU

glennbaumann,

The 12MB manual test size Chris mentioned is for the download test.  When you are performing the upload test, make sure to use the 2MB manual size. 

Chris11
Alum

Thanks Gabe, that is correct. So used to saying it that way I apologize.  The upload test size set to 2 MB is the optimal setting.