Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
spydermike
Sophomore

slower than slow...my turn

Test Results here:

https://testmy.net/db/nS~tOqm~Y.HUZGrYp5R

when I first tried to post this I got this error:

• Post flooding detected (community received posts of a unique message more than 1 times within 3,600 seconds)
92 REPLIES 92
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@spydermike 

That page may very well only be showing the alternate Gen4 plans available to you, not any Gen5 plans.  

I'd go to the main HughesNet website, input your address like it shows (no zip code), and see what it shows you for the available Gen5 plans in your area.  If you enter the address slowly, it will likely get to a point that it gives you a clickable option for it.  

https://www.hughesnet.com/

maratsade

"

Download Speeds up to 15 Mbps
Upload Speeds up to 2 Mbps"

That's Gen 4.  The speeds varied by data package. They're all the same for Gen 5, 25 Mbps down, 3 Mbps up. 
If going to the main site doesn't help, I imagine @Liz can give you the information. 

Odd that those are the upgrade plans available to me after logging in and hitting the upgrade page.  It doesn't mention Gen4 or 5.  Anyway, going in as a new potential customer, as you suggested, through the main site gives the Gen 5 options that you mention.  I will see how the Missoula weather affects it tomorrow.  The I will see how the Gen5 modem changes things.  

I have one other question, for now, and that is how can I see the affect of any trees might have on the signal?  If I see a Satellite Signal Strength of 87 on my system status panel, is that indicative of true recption strength?  Is there another indicator that would suggest that I am not getting the best signal due to objects in the way?  Any idea how to determine the azimuth of the satellite at my given location?  I would like to rule out as much as I can.

Thanks

GabeU

@spydermike 

When the reps run remote diagnostics on your system they can normally see things like signal interference from objects, including trees.  The look angle of the dish is actually higher that it seems, and while trees might look like they're in the way, the signal could actually be coming in a good deal over them.  

Signal strengths can vary, not only from beam to beam, but also one's location within the beam footprint.  The more central in the footprint, the stronger the signal tends to be.  A signal strength of 87 is decent.  I'm not really sure that that numerical value represents.  I've seen signal strengths in this community ranging from around 70 to all the way up to 130 or so, but again, it all depends on location.  And, like with being able to see objects interfering with the signal, the reps can see if the signal strength is good for that area.  When it's not, or they see something amiss, they'll normally schedule a tech visit.  Being that Liz didn't do this, it's likely that what she saw was good.  

With this said, one way you can see if a tree is interfering with your signal is on a somewhat windy day.   You can keep refreshing the System Control Center page to see if the signal strength keeps changing significantly.  If it does, this may indicate interference from the tree or trees in question.

I understand, thank you. I think the leaves are starting to fall anyway, so I will see what we get on a cold clear day in November after the trees in question are bare...oh, and when/if it is clear in Missoula.

GabeU

@spydermike 

You're welcome.

I was trying to find the following while I was typing my prior reply.  Though most of the time the reps can see interference, in this instance they couldn't.  I suspect it's because I don't keep my modem plugged in all the time.  I unplug it every night, which results in the logs being wiped out.  It's just something I've done since I first got HughesNet.  I think if those logs were there they may have been able to see that there was an issue.  But, as you'll see, refreshing the SCC page with the signal strength demonstrated it quite well. 

https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/Tree-in-the-way/td-p/126380

Interesting read and outcome!  Thanks. 

When the leave are gone on my tree, I should have a good indication.  

Liz,

If you are monitoring this, will you please refer your local HughesNet tech support person to me?  I found a site which gives me Echostar satellite locations, azimuth and elevation.  I will try to see if there are any potential obstructions, but I would like to have someone that can reposition if necessary.

It is clear here and in Missoula, so I will run the tests shortly.

Thanks,

Mike

Liz,

I ran five more tests with clear weather at Missoula and here and the results are nearly the same.

I also just received the new modem - thank you for the promptness!  I will give it a try and see.

Mike

Good to hear Mike, looking forward to hearing how the new modem treats you. We'll discuss a truck roll after that if necessary.

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Unfortunately Liz, not good.  Speed test show half as fast as the 1100 modem (albeit - this could be happy hour on the intenet with lots happening out there).  I ran two tests and got 150kbs to 225kbs.  

Good morning Mike,

Thank you for this update. I've dispatched a technician to do a complete review of your site due to the concerns you've been encountering. Your dispatch is currently scheduled for our earliest available slot:  Tuesday, Oct 27, 2020 between 08:00 AM-11:00 AM. The tech will reach out to confirm the visit, so you can use that opportunity to reschedule if needed. Please let us know how the site visit goes.

Thanks,

Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Thank you Liz!  We look forward to understanding what our issue is.  I will keep this thread going until resolved.

Mike

Sure thing, Mike. To set expectations, if the diagnostics still appear normal on our side after the tech visit, and you're not seeing improvement, we can troubleshoot to determine if the issue is device specific. After that, the only other thing we can suggest is upgrading to Gen 5.

-Liz

We are for whatever is going to work.  We already have the modem. By upgrading/moving to Gen5 it is all done on your side, correct?  It would still be pointed to Echo 17, correct?

Mike

Yes, you can stay on EchoStar 17.

-Liz

Well, here we are again.  After three hours deducing that some tree leaves might be in the way, finding a new dish location about 20 feet away, trimming some headges (me), digging up the concreted post from the last location (me), pick axing the concrete off that post (me again), filling in that hole (me), digging a new hole (him), breaking an irrigation pipe (him), digging another new hole (him), concreteing a new dish pipe in (him), routing a new cable and testing (him), we came up with pretty much the same slow speeds as before.  You can see the results on 10/27 around 1:44pm (696kbps down).  He then got on the phone and switched me from beam 10 to beam 27, and amazingly, we got 4.1Mbps down.  We thought we had won!   It didn't last long.  The service seemed to crap out the next day.   I finally ran the tests five times today and got 333kbps down yet 1.8 Mbps up. 

Not good.  I have a very clear line of site to the satellite and the weather is insanely clear here and in Missoula.  The antenna signal strength is at 111 (up from the old numbers of around 80-90).  What gives?

Why do I get much better upload speeds than download?

Thanks,

Mike

GabeU

@spydermike 

Wow.  That's terrible.  🙁

Though I know that either satellite can be used for Gen5, I wonder if re-pointing to the ES19 will end up being a viable option for a fix.

Edit:  Though it may not, a power cycle with your modem may help to bring the speed back up.  By a power cycle I mean unplugging the modem, waiting at least a minute, plugging it back in, waiting at least five minutes while it boots up and readies itself, then trying your activities again.  I also tend to shut down my computer when I perform a power cycle, then start it back up after that five minute wait period.  This way everything's fresh.  It might be worth a try.

Even though I have a clear view of ES19, I was told by the tech that it wouldn't work for me based on where we are located. Not exactly sure why.

I will try recycling the modem and see. Running out of options here.

Tried recycling modem. Now even slower. Tried running the test and it got hung up at 11 percent download for minutes. I stopped the test.
maratsade

Yikes, that's pretty bad. I hope you get some resolution this week.