cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

slower than slow...my turn

spydermike
Sophomore

Re: slower than slow...my turn

Just because I was up testing all night and now I have a caffeine buzz going, I attempted to wrap my head around "my issue" - some simple math to wrap my head around the numbers of people on a beam.  In my area there is no Jupiter 2 beam apparently. So it is a single beam of Jupiter 1 that covers us.  Jupiter 1's total capacity is 120Gbps on 60 beams (2Gbps each beam).  I am sure they are not all evenly loaded, but I have to assume something for this simple math. 

In the area of my beam, there are approximately 310,000 people.  Of those, about 140,000 live in three discrete urban environments leaving 170,000 in rural areas.  I would think most of those urban folks use other means for internet access.  That just leaves us rural folks.  I imagine that HNS has at least a 10% market share of the rural areas - probably more.  At 10% that is 17,000 possible users. Assuming 10% of those are online at the same time, which I think is low, sharing 2Gps down, they each are getting 147 kbps.  Hmmm

Looking at it another way, HNS has at least 1,000,000 subscribers based on my limited research.  Spread that over the 198 beams available from Jupiter 1 and Jupiter 2 (I realize that not all beams are evenly loaded, but what can I do here for more accuracy?).  That puts 5,050 users per beam.  Assuming 10% of those are online at the same time, that 2Gbps is spread to 500kbps for each.

These are the kinds of numbers I am experiencing most of the time (less than 1Mbps). Without more facts, I can not come to any other conclusion - in my head at least.  Putting the coffee cup down for now.

spydermike
Sophomore

Hi Liz,

Not much detail in the link - but I understand that it is not for me to know.

In my head I have come to the conclusion that my area is most likely over subscribed.  I will now stop chasing technical demons that I can realize most likely do not exist.

Thanks, Mike

Liz

Thanks Mike, I appreciate your understanding.

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!