cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

slower than slow...my turn

spydermike
Sophomore

Re: slower than slow...my turn

When I go the the "shop/upgrade" page on teh HughesNet website that Liz referred me to I see this as their Max plan:

Download Speeds up to 15 Mbps
Upload Speeds up to 2 Mbps
Service Plan Data 20 GB
Bonus Zone (2am - 8am local time) 50 GB

$129.99 PER MONTH

I am in Southern Oregon.  Maybe this is the best they can do using the Echo 17 routing through Missoula MT?
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@spydermike 

That page may very well only be showing the alternate Gen4 plans available to you, not any Gen5 plans.  

I'd go to the main HughesNet website, input your address like it shows (no zip code), and see what it shows you for the available Gen5 plans in your area.  If you enter the address slowly, it will likely get to a point that it gives you a clickable option for it.  

https://www.hughesnet.com/

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
maratsade
Distinguished Professor III

"

Download Speeds up to 15 Mbps
Upload Speeds up to 2 Mbps"

That's Gen 4.  The speeds varied by data package. They're all the same for Gen 5, 25 Mbps down, 3 Mbps up. 
If going to the main site doesn't help, I imagine @Liz can give you the information. 
spydermike
Sophomore

Odd that those are the upgrade plans available to me after logging in and hitting the upgrade page.  It doesn't mention Gen4 or 5.  Anyway, going in as a new potential customer, as you suggested, through the main site gives the Gen 5 options that you mention.  I will see how the Missoula weather affects it tomorrow.  The I will see how the Gen5 modem changes things.  

I have one other question, for now, and that is how can I see the affect of any trees might have on the signal?  If I see a Satellite Signal Strength of 87 on my system status panel, is that indicative of true recption strength?  Is there another indicator that would suggest that I am not getting the best signal due to objects in the way?  Any idea how to determine the azimuth of the satellite at my given location?  I would like to rule out as much as I can.

Thanks

GabeU

@spydermike 

When the reps run remote diagnostics on your system they can normally see things like signal interference from objects, including trees.  The look angle of the dish is actually higher that it seems, and while trees might look like they're in the way, the signal could actually be coming in a good deal over them.  

Signal strengths can vary, not only from beam to beam, but also one's location within the beam footprint.  The more central in the footprint, the stronger the signal tends to be.  A signal strength of 87 is decent.  I'm not really sure that that numerical value represents.  I've seen signal strengths in this community ranging from around 70 to all the way up to 130 or so, but again, it all depends on location.  And, like with being able to see objects interfering with the signal, the reps can see if the signal strength is good for that area.  When it's not, or they see something amiss, they'll normally schedule a tech visit.  Being that Liz didn't do this, it's likely that what she saw was good.  

With this said, one way you can see if a tree is interfering with your signal is on a somewhat windy day.   You can keep refreshing the System Control Center page to see if the signal strength keeps changing significantly.  If it does, this may indicate interference from the tree or trees in question.

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
spydermike
Sophomore

I understand, thank you. I think the leaves are starting to fall anyway, so I will see what we get on a cold clear day in November after the trees in question are bare...oh, and when/if it is clear in Missoula.

GabeU

@spydermike 

You're welcome.

I was trying to find the following while I was typing my prior reply.  Though most of the time the reps can see interference, in this instance they couldn't.  I suspect it's because I don't keep my modem plugged in all the time.  I unplug it every night, which results in the logs being wiped out.  It's just something I've done since I first got HughesNet.  I think if those logs were there they may have been able to see that there was an issue.  But, as you'll see, refreshing the SCC page with the signal strength demonstrated it quite well. 

https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/Tree-in-the-way/td-p/126380

spydermike
Sophomore

Interesting read and outcome!  Thanks. 

When the leave are gone on my tree, I should have a good indication.  

spydermike
Sophomore

Liz,

If you are monitoring this, will you please refer your local HughesNet tech support person to me?  I found a site which gives me Echostar satellite locations, azimuth and elevation.  I will try to see if there are any potential obstructions, but I would like to have someone that can reposition if necessary.

It is clear here and in Missoula, so I will run the tests shortly.

Thanks,

Mike

spydermike
Sophomore

Liz,

I ran five more tests with clear weather at Missoula and here and the results are nearly the same.

I also just received the new modem - thank you for the promptness!  I will give it a try and see.

Mike