cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

slower than slow...my turn

Liz

Re: slower than slow...my turn

Good to hear Mike, looking forward to hearing how the new modem treats you. We'll discuss a truck roll after that if necessary.

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

spydermike
Sophomore

Unfortunately Liz, not good.  Speed test show half as fast as the 1100 modem (albeit - this could be happy hour on the intenet with lots happening out there).  I ran two tests and got 150kbs to 225kbs.  

Liz

Good morning Mike,

Thank you for this update. I've dispatched a technician to do a complete review of your site due to the concerns you've been encountering. Your dispatch is currently scheduled for our earliest available slot:  Tuesday, Oct 27, 2020 between 08:00 AM-11:00 AM. The tech will reach out to confirm the visit, so you can use that opportunity to reschedule if needed. Please let us know how the site visit goes.

Thanks,

Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

spydermike
Sophomore

Thank you Liz!  We look forward to understanding what our issue is.  I will keep this thread going until resolved.

Mike

Liz

Sure thing, Mike. To set expectations, if the diagnostics still appear normal on our side after the tech visit, and you're not seeing improvement, we can troubleshoot to determine if the issue is device specific. After that, the only other thing we can suggest is upgrading to Gen 5.

-Liz

spydermike
Sophomore

We are for whatever is going to work.  We already have the modem. By upgrading/moving to Gen5 it is all done on your side, correct?  It would still be pointed to Echo 17, correct?

Mike

Liz

Yes, you can stay on EchoStar 17.

-Liz

spydermike
Sophomore

Well, here we are again.  After three hours deducing that some tree leaves might be in the way, finding a new dish location about 20 feet away, trimming some headges (me), digging up the concreted post from the last location (me), pick axing the concrete off that post (me again), filling in that hole (me), digging a new hole (him), breaking an irrigation pipe (him), digging another new hole (him), concreteing a new dish pipe in (him), routing a new cable and testing (him), we came up with pretty much the same slow speeds as before.  You can see the results on 10/27 around 1:44pm (696kbps down).  He then got on the phone and switched me from beam 10 to beam 27, and amazingly, we got 4.1Mbps down.  We thought we had won!   It didn't last long.  The service seemed to crap out the next day.   I finally ran the tests five times today and got 333kbps down yet 1.8 Mbps up. 

Not good.  I have a very clear line of site to the satellite and the weather is insanely clear here and in Missoula.  The antenna signal strength is at 111 (up from the old numbers of around 80-90).  What gives?

Why do I get much better upload speeds than download?

Thanks,

Mike

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@spydermike 

Wow.  That's terrible.  🙁

Though I know that either satellite can be used for Gen5, I wonder if re-pointing to the ES19 will end up being a viable option for a fix.

Edit:  Though it may not, a power cycle with your modem may help to bring the speed back up.  By a power cycle I mean unplugging the modem, waiting at least a minute, plugging it back in, waiting at least five minutes while it boots up and readies itself, then trying your activities again.  I also tend to shut down my computer when I perform a power cycle, then start it back up after that five minute wait period.  This way everything's fresh.  It might be worth a try.

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
spydermike
Sophomore

Even though I have a clear view of ES19, I was told by the tech that it wouldn't work for me based on where we are located. Not exactly sure why.

I will try recycling the modem and see. Running out of options here.