smtp.hughes.net blocking my emails

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
birchbay
New Poster

smtp.hughes.net blocking my emails

Sent emails are being bounced, received emails are just fine.

My emails are being returned with the following message. :

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This message was created automatically by the mail system (ecelerity).

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

>>> info@johnsonphoto.com (after MAIL FROM): 553 5.3.0 69.168.97.48 Your message was rejected for possible spam/virus content.Please ask your email provider to visit http://emailadmin.registeredsite.com for resolution.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In order to isolate the problem I sent 2 emails, one from Outlook on my desktop and one from the MyHughesNet web mail.  Both emails were addressed to the same receipient.  The attachments are as follows:

------------------------------------- From MyHughesNet -----------------------------------------------

details.txt

-------------

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

>>> info@johnsonphoto.com (after MAIL FROM): 553 5.3.0 69.168.97.48 Your message was rejected for possible spam/virus content.Please ask your email provider to visit http://emailadmin.registeredsite.com for resolution.

Untitled attachment 

--------------------------

Return-Path: <birchbay@hughes.net>
X-Authed-Username: YmlyY2hiYXlAaHVnaGVzLm5ldA==
X_CMAE_Category: 0,0 Undefined,Undefined
X-CNFS-Analysis: v=2.1 cv=D/bnUqlj c=1 sm=0 tr=0 a=x1h0AhohGG/RTEN8nKxOCg==:117 a=L9H7d07YOLsA:10 a=9cW_t1CCXrUA:10 a=s5jvgZ67dGcA:10 a=FKkrIqjQGGEA:10 a=c0IKAg22lHsA:10 a=GDToNFWJBcEA:10 a=FMv02harFUhbvwixEBoA:9 a=QEXdDO2ut3YA:10 a=vB4yIPE5dKZ_iddtDWwA:9 a=_W_S_7VecoQA:10
X-CM-Score: 0
X-Scanned-by: Cloudmark Authority Engine
Authentication-Results: smtp01.hughes.cmh.synacor.com smtp.mail=birchbay@hughes.net; spf=softfail; sender-id=softfail
Authentication-Results: smtp01.hughes.cmh.synacor.com header.from=birchbay@hughes.net; sender-id=softfail
Received-SPF: softfail (smtp01.hughes.cmh.synacor.com: transitional domain hughes.net does not designate 10.33.66.7 as permitted sender)
Received: from [10.33.66.7] ([10.33.66.7:47199] helo=md08.hughes.cmh.synacor.com)
by smtp.hughes.net (envelope-from <birchbay@hughes.net>)
(ecelerity 2.2.3.49 r(42060/42061)) with ESMTP
id EB/4E-20202-5BC881F5; Wed, 22 Jul 2020 15:00:05 -0400
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2020 15:00:05 -0400 (EDT)
To: info@johnsonphoto.com
Message-ID: <278643397.172513126.1595444405079.JavaMail.root@hughes.net>
Subject: test hughes send
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: multipart/alternative;
boundary="----=_Part_172513125_842041761.1595444405078"
X-Originating-IP: [72.168.145.50]
X-Mailer: Zimbra 7.2.7_GA_2942 (ZimbraWebClient - GC84 (Win)/7.2.6_GA_2926)

----------------------------------- From Outlook --------------------------------------------------------

details.txt 

------------

Untitled attachment

--------------------------

Return-Path: <birchbay@hughes.net>
X-Authed-Username: YmlyY2hiYXlAaHVnaGVzLm5ldA==
X_CMAE_Category: 0,0 Undefined,Undefined
X-CNFS-Analysis: v=2.1 cv=D/bnUqlj c=1 sm=0 tr=0 a=oZryl1ZDRprEImX6oM6mKg==:117 a=oZryl1ZDRprEImX6oM6mKg==:17 a=L9H7d07YOLsA:10 a=9cW_t1CCXrUA:10 a=s5jvgZ67dGcA:10 a=DAwyPP_o2Byb1YXLmDAA:9 a=_LnqSiBIVWXndqmOae4A:9 a=CjuIK1q_8ugA:10 a=yOzNjrRZHYMA:10 a=L7EoCVMh1PYA:10 a=2kfr_2iKG_cA:10 a=uu05uWyGsd0A:10 a=yMhMjlubAAAA:8 a=SSmOFEACAAAA:8 a=C80NKBsKLg0WrIRMPzkA:9 a=gKO2Hq4RSVkA:10 a=UiCQ7L4-1S4A:10 a=hTZeC7Yk6K0A:10 a=frz4AuCg-hUA:10
X-CM-Score: 0
X-Scanned-by: Cloudmark Authority Engine
Authentication-Results: smtp01.hughes.cmh.synacor.com header.from=birchbay@hughes.net; sender-id=softfail
Authentication-Results: smtp01.hughes.cmh.synacor.com smtp.mail=birchbay@hughes.net; spf=softfail; sender-id=softfail
Authentication-Results: smtp01.hughes.cmh.synacor.com smtp.user=birchbay@hughes.net; auth=pass (LOGIN)
Received-SPF: softfail (smtp01.hughes.cmh.synacor.com: transitional domain hughes.net does not designate 72.168.145.50 as permitted sender)
Received: from [72.168.145.50] ([72.168.145.50:30803] helo=Redwood)
by smtp.hughes.net (envelope-from <birchbay@hughes.net>)
(ecelerity 2.2.3.49 r(42060/42061)) with ESMTPSA (cipher=AES256-SHA)
id 65/8C-20202-C44881F5; Wed, 22 Jul 2020 14:24:16 -0400
To: <info@johnsonphoto.com>
Subject: test Hughes sent to hosting email
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2020 11:23:01 -0700
Message-ID: <000001d66055$27da6880$778f3980$@hughes.net>
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: multipart/alternative;
boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0001_01D6601A.7B7E0180"
X-Mailer: Microsoft Outlook 14.0
Thread-Index: AdZgVSGdDRvOjaj6SGOwtrAm+MkOtw==
Content-Language: en-us

10 REPLIES 10
MarkJFine
Professor

Looks to me that netsolmail.net (your email server at johnsonphoto.com) is likely (and incorrectly) rejecting softfailed SPFs as spam.

That said, Synacor, who hosts HughesNet's mail, doesn't seem to have all their valid email servers listed in their SPF record, and is just letting them default to softfail.

That's not good either, but it still doesn't absolve Network Solutions (and other receiving mail servers from what I've seen) from rejecting it when there's nothing that recommends either rejection or quarantine in Synacor's SPF record.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

Thank you,

Your explaination certainly explains why the only bounces I get are emails sent from the Hughes SMTP server to the Network Solutions email servers. If this is indeed the case, it appears that I need to have two issues resolved, getting Syncor to update their SPF list and getting Network Solutions to stop rjecting soft fails. For me, Network Solutions may be easier to deal with, my company has been with them for quite a long time.  Do you have any suggestions about approaching Syncor and having them fix their SPF list?

Thanks again,

Paul   

That's really something Hughes has to take care of, since they are Synacor's customer.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

I don't know if you'll have luck getting Network Solutions to stop rejecting soft fails.  If SPF and DKIM records are not setup properly, that is a classic indication of SPAM.  Such emails are often blocked or at the very least, routed to spam folders by many email systems.  Maybe they can white list this particular situation but really the root cause that should be addressed is:

Received-SPF: softfail (smtp01.hughes.cmh.synacor.com: transitional domain hughes.net does not designate 72.168.145.50 as permitted sender)

@Michael57 wrote:

Such emails are often blocked or at the very least, routed to spam folders by many email systems.

Believe me when I say that I understand the sentiment about spam as I've practically made a hobby into fighting it.  However, there's no DMARC policy record telling the reciever to route to spam (quarantine) or just reject it. This is supposed to be interpreted as 'take no action' instead of 'reject'.

Edit: That said, I really can understand how some email providers would want to take a strict stance. Most people have no idea that amount of real spam out there because a lot of it just gets routed to /dev/nul. I actually keep a running log of what goes to 'digital heaven' on my server. It's a tremendous problem.

OTOH, all it takes is a simple DNS TXT entry with the name '_dmarc' to say something like:
'v=DMARC1; p=reject; pct=100; aspf=r; fo=0; rua=mailto:_postmaster@hughes.net; ruf=mailto:_postmaster@hughes.net'

where p is the policy (can be set to 'reject' or 'quarantine'). Not to mention at least ensuring all mail server IPs are covered in the SPF record. Otherwise I don't even see the point of having SPF if most mail is going to generate a soft fail.

Thanks, I understand the SPF record.  What is the DKIM record.

I have been on the phone with Hughes tech support for hours this morning. I tried to explain the SPF issue to phone tech support for hours and to have them look at the return email header before they finally contacted advanced tech support. Apparently, advanced tech support was not interested in the header and reported back that they could not reproduce the problem.  The call was finally dropped without any resolution.  It's kind of like that children's game we all played, we sit around in a circle and whisper a message in the ear of the person next to us; the process is repeated until it gets to the end.  As we all know, the message at the end is never the same as the original message.

For me the issue is that I need an email address that is independent of my hosting package emails in order to communicate with my provider and manage my website.    

Thank you all for your explaination of the issue.

It appears that I must apologize for the misleading subject line.  

Don't worry about the DKIM as it involves installing personal digital certificates on the mail server that Synacor whould have zero way of implementing. If possible, it's best to let the admins work it with the engineering tech staff as I'm sure this is way beyond the phone support folks.

Note to @Liz @Damian @Remy (and anyone else I may have inadvertently left out) feel free to ping me as a reference if you need one.

I cannot open my emails up and when someone sends me an email they receive this message. When I click on "my email" a blank page comes up. 

This started on August 13 and I cannot get a tech to help me with this. I was transferred several times to Home Tech Support and they all told me that "this is an issue with HughesNet updating the emails to 3. something. "

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

You are piggibacking on someone else's ticket.  Please go to the main Tech Support page and start your own ticket by clicking on "Start a topic."  You can copy/paste what you posted here. 

@blstastny wrote:

I cannot open my emails up and when someone sends me an email they receive this message. When I click on "my email" a blank page comes up. 

This started on August 13 and I cannot get a tech to help me with this. I was transferred several times to Home Tech Support and they all told me that "this is an issue with HughesNet updating the emails to 3. something. "