cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

so slow cant even watch video or even load some web sites

Highlighted
Freshman

so slow cant even watch video or even load some web sites

i just got mine set up today i paid to get a bigger dish and paid for all my equipment so i dont have to rent but it is so slow it wont show any videos and wont even open some sites like pintrest because it wont load the pics im very dissapointed almost as slow as my dial-up internet anyone know whats going on

23 REPLIES 23
Highlighted
Distinguished Professor IV

Re: so slow cant even watch video or even load some web sites

@shawnbos

If you're presently connected via WiFi, try connecting via Ethernet cable if you have a device with this capability.  This will at least help to rule in or out any possible issue with the WiFi.  

When you go to the following page, are both boxes at the top of the page green?  http://192.168.0.1/#!/home/status

Do you see a State Code listed in the System Summary box, and if so, what is it?  

Also, what is your Satellite Name and Beam ID in the Satellite box on the following page?  This will help to establish where your gateway is so that the weather can be checked.  http://192.168.0.1/#!/home/information

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
Highlighted
Alum

Hi shawnbos, welcome to the community and thanks for posting! Sometimes the modem may be fine tuning itself after activation that can cause the speeds to run a bit slowly, however this should only last for a few hours typically. Some cases it can be up to 24 hours. 

One thing to keep in mind with satellite internet is there will be latency, so websites and pictures may take longer to load on pages (especially if the web page itself has a lot of photos). For videos, it may take a moment to load as well, however if you're running into buffering issues, there's a couple different ways of preventing that. Here's a link that provides some tips for video performance

Gabe makes a great suggestion as well, those pages are useful as they provide customers access to information regarding their system. 

Currently from my diagnostic, there isn't anything visible on our end that's alarming (Everything looks fantastic, actually! Highest satellite signal I've ever seen!), but please keep me updated and let me know if you're still experiencing issues.

-Brooke

Highlighted
Distinguished Professor III

"One thing to keep in mind with satellite internet is there will be latency, so websites and pictures may take longer to load on pages"

HTTPS pages also take longer. 

Highlighted
Distinguished Professor III

"paid to get a bigger dish "

I thought the dishes were all the same size. 

Dialup speed, huh?  Yeah, no.  

Highlighted
Freshman

yes there is a bigger dish the installer said it had the highest signal he had ever seen so i know its not loseing signal but like i said i cant even look at pintrest unless it after about 11pm i can watch a 2 minute video on youtube after midnight but takes about 5 minutes to load it but deuring the day i can bring up a video and it will load for 10 minutes without even starting to play it

Highlighted

Probably the .98 dish.  

I believe I have the .90 dish, and though I've seen signal strengths in the mid 120s, it's been a while since it's been that high.  Mine usually sits somewhere in the range of 105-115.  I normally don't have a problem, and during bad weather I usually only lose enough signal to cause a problem when my DirecTV does the same.  They tend to go hand in hand, even though the sats are in different locations and different elevations relative to my location.  

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
Highlighted
Freshman

so i just whent to my nabor and he has hughesnet and his is realy fast can watch videos like a snap but i get crap any ideas

Highlighted

@shawnbos

The first step is probably to establish the speeds you are getting.  The following is the protocol for running speed tests when people are having speed issues, but the method for running the tests would still be the same when simply trying to establish current speeds.  When we know what your speeds are like, we can know the next step(s) to take to address the issue.  Please be sure to run the tests as laid out, as in the sizes listed, with a LAN connected device, while the WiFi is disabled, and while signed in to the account you create or previously created.  The last thing is so all of the tests can be looked at in a single location and so links don't have to be posted for each and every test.  Running the tests as outlined will give a baseline result, which, again, will help to point in the direction of the next steps to take.  Again, the testing protocol....

To help the HughesNet Customer Service Reps get a head start on your speed concerns, please create a testmy.net account (if you do not already have one) and, while signed into that account, perform 3-5 tests during different parts of the day, then share the account results link with us here.

Most important points to remember during this test:
-do the tests while directly connected to the HughesNet modem with a LAN cable (NO third party Router or Wireless devices can be used)
-disable the WiFi while the speed tests are being performed
-use the manual 25MB size download test file 

-If testing upload instead of download, please use the manual 4MB size upload test file
-space each test at least 5 minutes apart
-post your testmy results URL here, it may look something like http://testmy.net/quickstats/yourusername

For a more in depth guide on running the tests, please visit: http://customer.kb.hughesnet.com/Pages/7001.aspx  (due to being an older page, the test sizes are incorrect for Gen5 (please use the test sizes listed above, in bold, for Gen5))

The Reps are on M-F from approximately 8AM to 5PM Eastern. They will be the ones to address your speed issues, but they will need these tests to do so.

If you are unaware of how to disable the WiFi in the HT2000W, please see "How do I manage my built in WiFi modem?" in this PDF.  Please be sure to click "Save Settings" after unchecking "SSID Enable" for each of the four tabs individually (2.4Ghz, then 2.4Ghz Guest, then 5Ghz, then 5Ghz Guest).  

Highlighted
Alum

Shawnbos, so far the only thing I see on my end is the speed test and the results were low. Because the modem is newly activated, some data is currently unavailable in my tools to run further diagnostics. I know yesterday I mentioned that the speeds can be lower when you're first activated, however I can see you've been activated for a full day now so I'm led to believe there's an underlying cause that I'll be sure to dig for! In the meanwhile, I would second Gabe's suggestion to run some speed tests also on your end to compare to my results.

-Brooke

Also, @Gabe you're on fire. As soon as I'm about to submit my response, you beat me to it by a few minutes Smiley Tongue