cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dar00
Freshman

speed Latency and loss

Problem 1

On Aug 7 I switched from Dishnet, at 5mbps download and 1.5mbps upload, to Hughesnet Gen5. Using Testmy.net I was getting speeds that went from 3mbps to 39mbps Download from test to test. Upload swung from 0.100mbps (100kbps) to 0.5mbps (500kbps).

Latency was running 1 to 5 seconds with 15 second spikes. Using WinMtr my loss is, at times, averaging 10%

Since then I have been on the phone five times with tech support, turning things on and off in the Modem and changing the DNS. Only got a tech to my house to check the install after the last phone tech crashed the modem and it wouldn't re-register.  A new modem did not fix the problem. According to Testmy, I have a speed slower than 95% of the country. All this was done with a direct connect to the computer. The Testmy results indicate that the speeds and latency are very unstable making it hard to stream or game play. My signal strength is 97 to 104 and have been assured by numerous Hughesnet people that is fine.

I Don't believe it. Their scale tops out at 270.

Problem 2
I seem to be using way too much bandwidth. My Dishnet was 5GB and I typically used 4.5GB a month. Last month, my Hughesnet usage was 17GB and this month I have already used 3GB in 5 days. Just so you can read this, MY ACTUAL USAGE HABITS HAVE NOT CHANGED. No new devices and no new users. So, where is all the Bandwidth going? Is there something going on with my account that I don't know about? Maybe because of all the resending of lost data? If so, Hughesnet should give out free bandwidth

because of their poor service.

While this sounds like a complaint letter (it kind of is, I guess) I would really like to get this fixed but I have no idea what to do next. The cabling has been checked and the modem replaced. The only thing left is the dish.

77 REPLIES 77

Why don't you set it up.  One possibility that may explain the erratic speeds, data loss, latency and excessive bandwidth usage is if the Antenna amplifier is noisy.  Excess random noise on the signal going through it would cause data corruption and repetative reloads of packets.  Replacing the whole system, (modem, cable and antenna) would eliminate those items. 

Dar00

p.s. I have been getting 'limited connectivity to the internet' alerts when I run the Connectivity Test in the control panel.  A second test comes out ok.

@dar00,

I appreciate your patience. The case has been created. I have provided information regarding this and the case number via private message.

-Damian  

Damian,

Got your message.  When I first got Hughesnet installed in August I spent Hours and Hours on the phone with the online reps trying to 'fix' the problem.  I am not happy about doing it again but I will as a necessary step in my own documentation.  I thought you were supposed to be a step above them in access and expertise. 

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@dar00 

Damian is a corporate rep who has access to advanced tech support, such as the engineers.  However, when it comes to an issue that requires additional troubleshooting to diagnose, and for which subscriber interaction with that department (and vice versa) would make that troubleshooting much easier, both for the sake of efficiency and clarity, they set it up for that to happen.  Not all issues require this, but some do.

Called Tech support and after a bunch of this and that, she switched me to another dish at the gateway.  Left it for a day because she said it would take a while to get better.  Also she told me Testmy.net is not an acceptable test site.  I wish you people would get your stories straight.  As far as the connection goes it is the same if not worse.  I checked the speed a few times and Testmy said I was getting, at one point, 470 mbps download.  Really?  I am going to call Tech support again but I'm not convinced that Hughesnet either wants to or can fix the problem

maratsade

"Also she told me Testmy.net is not an acceptable test site.  I wish you people would get your stories straight."

Apparently that's all the engineers at Corporate will accept, though.  I hope your issues get resolved. 

GabeU

@dar00 wrote:

Also she told me Testmy.net is not an acceptable test site.  I wish you people would get your stories straight.   

The stories are straight.  The reps, techs and engineers that help via this Support Community require testmy.net to be used for speed testing.  This is the case because the results give more information than just speed.  Whatever the phone reps want is what they want.  The help here and the help via phone are distinct.  Testmy.net has been required here for a number of years.  

@dar00 wrote:

Called Tech support and after a bunch of this and that, she switched me to another dish at the gateway.   

I'm not really sure what this means, but I'm gathering that either your network was reset to put you on a different beam "channel", or even further you're in an area of overlapping spot beams and the rep was able to change you to an alternate one on the satellite you're presently pointed to. 

@dar00 wrote:

I checked the speed a few times and Testmy said I was getting, at one point, 470 mbps download.  Really?   

Testmy.net isn't immune to an occasional hiccup.  If you decide to continue with the help here and additional tests are required, and if you see this discrepancy often, try pausing your antivirus while testing, as various AV programs have been known to cause occasional issues with the testing.

Tired of the runaround.  Been on the phone tech support forever and keep getting told everything is fine.  It isn't.  There is something wrong with either my equipment or Hughesnet service.  I will be filing a complaint with the appropriate agency if this is not fixed.  EOL

maratsade

What resolution are you seeking? If there is no evidence of equipment issues on HN's side (which HN will likely be able to show), an agency will not be able to do much, if anything. 

(edited for clarity)

An, as advertised, usable internet?  From my perspective, resolution starts with a new Modem, Cable and Radio. No charge.  The best I got from the phone tech was half off the $175 charge for the Tech.  If the problems persist, it will be obvious they cannot be fixed at my end of the chain. 

maratsade

" From my perspective, resolution starts with a new Modem, Cable and Radio. No charge. "

That's a tangible  resolution that might be achieved on this site (or via the escalated case), as the HN reps you deal with on this site have much more authority to do this kind of thing than the phone and chat reps. 

Yes, if anybody moves on it.  Here's another bit of data.  I disabled both WiFi radios and when I tried to go to websites on my hardwired desktop, the connections kept timing out.  When I enabled the radios I was able to get to websites.  There is something wrong.

maratsade

That's weird. I don't know enough about all of this stuff to say what might be causing this, unfortunately (EDIT: or even if it's normal for the system to behave this way). I hope someone more knowledgeable can chime in with a theory (it might help you fix the problem or at least test it). 

@dar00 wrote:

I disabled both WiFi radios and when I tried to go to websites on my hardwired desktop, the connections kept timing out.  When I enabled the radios I was able to get to websites.  There is something wrong.

Might want to check the LAN cable on both ends. Sometimes that locking pin doesn't engage and the connector doesn't make a clean connection.

Could also be the ethernet adaptor or connector on the modem or the computer. It's easier to test on the modem by just moving the cable to a different slot. Like above, make sure the connector is firmly inserted.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

Did that months ago.  Cable connection is fine.  Modem has problem.  Thanks for the idea though.

@dar00 wrote:

Did that months ago.  Cable connection is fine.  Modem has problem.  Thanks for the idea though.

You're welcome. And that's possible. I just wanted to do the process of elimination thing.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

How about an improper installation and refusal of access to information such as, service contracts, and terms and conditions of services ??
maratsade

Bshepperson wrote:
refusal of access to information such as, service contracts, and terms and conditions of services ??

That information is freely accessible here:  https://legal.hughesnet.com/

Ran into the contract info problem.  Gpt to the page where it was but it would not download.  Copy and pasted to Notepad.

maratsade

I don't believe there's a PDF format or other downloadable format. It's a webpage. 

dar00 wrote:

Ran into the contract info problem.  Gpt to the page where it was but it would not download.  Copy and pasted to Notepad.