cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dar00
Freshman

speed Latency and loss

Problem 1

On Aug 7 I switched from Dishnet, at 5mbps download and 1.5mbps upload, to Hughesnet Gen5. Using Testmy.net I was getting speeds that went from 3mbps to 39mbps Download from test to test. Upload swung from 0.100mbps (100kbps) to 0.5mbps (500kbps).

Latency was running 1 to 5 seconds with 15 second spikes. Using WinMtr my loss is, at times, averaging 10%

Since then I have been on the phone five times with tech support, turning things on and off in the Modem and changing the DNS. Only got a tech to my house to check the install after the last phone tech crashed the modem and it wouldn't re-register.  A new modem did not fix the problem. According to Testmy, I have a speed slower than 95% of the country. All this was done with a direct connect to the computer. The Testmy results indicate that the speeds and latency are very unstable making it hard to stream or game play. My signal strength is 97 to 104 and have been assured by numerous Hughesnet people that is fine.

I Don't believe it. Their scale tops out at 270.

Problem 2
I seem to be using way too much bandwidth. My Dishnet was 5GB and I typically used 4.5GB a month. Last month, my Hughesnet usage was 17GB and this month I have already used 3GB in 5 days. Just so you can read this, MY ACTUAL USAGE HABITS HAVE NOT CHANGED. No new devices and no new users. So, where is all the Bandwidth going? Is there something going on with my account that I don't know about? Maybe because of all the resending of lost data? If so, Hughesnet should give out free bandwidth

because of their poor service.

While this sounds like a complaint letter (it kind of is, I guess) I would really like to get this fixed but I have no idea what to do next. The cabling has been checked and the modem replaced. The only thing left is the dish.

77 REPLIES 77

Seems to me that if you have to sign the contract a copy should be retainable by you.  Just makes Hughesnet dealings more suspicious.

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Their handling of the contract is in accordance with modern law; nothing illegal or suspicious about it.  

dar00 wrote:

Seems to me that if you have to sign the contract a copy should be retainable by you.  Just makes Hughesnet dealings more suspicious.

GabeU

@dar00 wrote:

Ran into the contract info problem.  Gpt to the page where it was but it would not download.  Copy and pasted to Notepad.

If you click at the beginning and drag the pointer to the bottom to highlight all of the text in the agreement, then right click on it and choose Print, you can then Print it to a PDF.  You have to do it this way rather than choosing Print from the browser options, as the latter will include the headers in the PDF, which will block out some of the text at the beginning of each page when reading the saved PDF.

GabeU

@dar00 

I still think it would be helpful to demonstrate the issues you're having, such as locally running the previously mentioned trace routes and/or ping tests and showing snapshots of the results, which should include your system clock for reference, as well as taking snapshots of the "limited connectivity" in the Connectivity Test, again with the system clock for reference.

In Windows you can use the Snipping Tool to outline what you want to get a snapshot of, or use 'Windows + PrntScrn' to take an entire window snapshot, which will normally be saved in your Pictures folder.  You can then edit those entire window snapshots, cropping them if you need to. 

When you're experiencing an issue that the reps can't see from their end, demonstrating it can not only help to get them to further investigate, it can give information that may help them in that endeavor.

Done with tests.  Been doing them since August.  Can't stream, downloading a 500 mb file takes 4 hrs.  My requested, no charge, new installation is apparently not being acknowledged at this point so I am in limbo with this.  Considering alternatives.

maratsade

Have there been no updates from the escalated case Damian mentioned upthread?

dar00 wrote:

Done with tests.  Been doing them since August.  Can't stream, downloading a 500 mb file takes 4 hrs.  My requested, no charge, new installation is apparently not being acknowledged at this point so I am in limbo with this.  Considering alternatives.

No.

maratsade

Sorry to hear that. 

GabeU

@dar00 

I sent you a PM.  

Edit:  Click on the PM title to access the message.  

tengutango
New Poster

Why isn't HugesNet in violation of its contract to provide blazing speeds to its customers when so many can't stream and lose bandwidth without an ability to fix these problems?

maratsade

The subscriber agreement does not contain the words "blazing speeds," or any guarantees of speed. It contain the words "Stated speeds and uninterrupted use of service are not guaranteed. Actual speeds will likely be lower than the maximum speeds during peak hours."  

https://legal.hughesnet.com/SubAgree-03-16-17.cfm

Contracts are written to protect the Company from "action" so I agree with Maratsade. Legaly, the company is 'correct'. However. if the overall service is not as implied in the advertising, usually gotten around by an unreadable disclaimer, it is not 'right'. Unfortunately the concept of 'right' is not a legal one so, for those of us who do not have massive resources there are only two options. One, accept the excuses given by tech support and live with an overall service that is only slightly better than dialup or two, take the cancellation fee hit and move to a, hopefully, better company.

All this probably should be on another board and it is not getting my problem fixed. I guess I will call Account Management with the elevated case # and try to get my equipment replaced.

Oh and tengutango, thanks for the Kudos.

P.S.  Blocking posts because of certain words does not make them go away.

maratsade

Did a post of yours get blocked? 

@dar00 wrote:

P.S.  Blocking posts because of certain words does not make them go away.

Yes. Apparently the word for civil legal action is banned.  Also the initials for an agency concerned with trade.  Makes the whole situation even more suspicious.  Also you may have missed my point with my other post.  There is a difference between right and correct.  The correct action is not always right and the right action is not always correct.

GabeU

@dar00 wrote:

Yes. Apparently the word for civil legal action is banned.  Also the initials for an agency concerned with trade.  Makes the whole situation even more suspicious.   

To allay your suspicion, this site is designed as a place for subscribers to get help for issues they're experiencing, to answer questions they may have about the service or things connected to it and to get advice.  It's not a site to complain about legal matters or threaten the company with legal action.  Nor is it a site to encourage others to do the same.  Certain words, terms and abbreviations are blocked from publication on this site to prevent just that.  

It's simply keeping the Community on track for purposes of which it was designed and keeping the rest out.  This even applies to the General Section, which wasn't designed for those other purposes, but which was added at our request as a place for non HughesNet discussion, though the rules of the Community, including the automatic ones, still apply to it.

maratsade

Additionally, binding arbitration is the legal procedure to be used in settling grievances with the company. The procedure is explained in the subscriber agreement. 

Whatever.  Who do I call to get my system replaced?  I still can't use the service for anything other than getting my emails and browsing.  No streaming, downloads take forever and my data usage is impossibly high.  After 4 months this is getting highly frustrating and talking to tech support makes me want to scream.

maratsade

866-347-3292

dar00 wrote:

Whatever.  Who do I call to get my system replaced?  I still can't use the service for anything other than getting my emails and browsing.  No streaming, downloads take forever and my data usage is impossibly high.  After 4 months this is getting highly frustrating and talking to tech support makes me want to scream.

Arbitration committee, going through this now, look in the legal, for the arbitration committee phone number

And this is why I'm trying to PROVIDE HELP, because nobody else will