speedtest trying to share results

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mark Shaver
New Poster

speedtest trying to share results

yea i've been doing the speed test and trying to share them..not sure if  you've been getting them.through the email between us.. could plz let me know if you guys are getting my results.
62 REPLIES 62
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Mark,

It will be interesting to find out why it is giving you such an erroneous result.  I've never seen it do this before. 

I'd like you to try something.  The next time you do a download speed test at testmy.net, manually choose the 6MB test size.  Just do one test with this, and see what happens.  The reason I say to choose this size is because the 6MB test is a test size that doesn't automatically kick up to another size if it doesn't last seven seconds like all of the other test sizes do.  I'm just curious what will happen.  Hopefully what will happen is it will actually do a 6MB test and give you a real result, not giving some ridiculously high result saying that it used the 200MB test. 

Again, just try one test with the 6MB size.  No more than one test.   

Mark Shaver
New Poster

GabeU 
WoW yea we tried it  at 6MB as you suggested --here are those results sir...very interesting indeed..later we will go through the entire manual test size.. at this point we are going to setup the video cam to document.. 
foxbrook
Sophomore

GabeU,

Not to hijack the thread, but I just ran a 6MB test and it did re-size up to a 200MB test automatically.
GabeU

Mark,

I'm at a complete loss as to why it's doing this.  Something is definitely VERY wrong.  When you do a test, and it gives you this type of result, does your data usage, whether through the status meter, the Hughesnet support center, or Glasswire, show that you actually used at least 200MB of data? 

There was a day, shortly after upgrading to Gen4 in Feb, when I did some tests and they were coming up with greatly exaggerated results.  I don't remember what the speeds supposedly were, but they were above 100MB.  I knew that they were incorrect results, so I deleted them from my test results stats.  I wonder if it's something similar. 

A video recording of the performing of the test is a great idea.   

GabeU

I'm at a complete loss.  Something is very odd, as automatic forwarding is disabled in the 6MB test.  Why it would resize, and to 200MB, is a head scratcher, for sure. 
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

During these periods of odd test results at testmy.net have you tried the Hughes "in house" test as a crosscheck ?

http://my.hughesnet.com/

Mark Shaver
New Poster

haven't tried the in house test yet i'll look into that... i do some online gaming,here's what an update transfer rate looks like.. don't know if it means anything...
GabeU

That's a slow speed, but that could be caused by a multitude of things, many of them having nothing to do with Hughesnet itself. 
Mark Shaver
New Poster

Soooooo whats next folks???
Liz

Good morning Mark,

Not sure if you missed my earlier message, but here it is:

While I was speaking to the engineer, he did check your site and ran his own tests and found your site to have normal speeds.

So let's step back and figure out the issue. Are you noticing websites in general loading slowly for you? If so, which websites?

Some good ones to test are:
purple.com - this should load fairly quickly, as it only shows a purple screen.
yahoo.com - this has more content than purple.com, so it should take slightly more time to load

I just want to know what initially prompted you to start this thread.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

Thanks,
Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

GabeU

Mark,

After speaking with someone on the post you started on the tsetmy.net forums, he/she suggested deleting the results from your results page.  He/she suggested it may be a caching problem. 

Before you do any of the following, because it will clear all of your results that you have up to this point, you may want to save what you have now by taking a picture of it.  Judging by what you've posted, you already know how to do this.  You can change the last option to "Show Max" before saving the picture so you can save all that you have already done. 

Let me stress that I can't guarantee that this will work in fixing the problem, so it's up to you whether you want to clear your results up to now.  When they are deleted, they are gone for good.  Again, it's up to you whether to try this or not. 

If you want to try it, do the following... 

When you go to your results page, change the last option to "Show Max", if you haven't already done so.  When I changed it to "Show Max" it showed me 121 results.

Then tick the open box to the left of the red X, which should fill all of the boxes with a check mark.

Then click on the red X...

This should clear out ALL of your results.  You can then try a test again, using the 12MB manual test size, and see if it gives you a correct result instead of a skewed one like you had been getting. 

Again, I can't guarantee that this will work, as it's only a suggestion.  One thing is for sure, though, and that is that you aren't actually getting the 500MB+ speeds that the results have been showing. 

Mark Shaver
New Poster

o/ morning all well the testmynet.  still doesn't seem to be running right--trying to test at 12MB as you can see from my results the issue is still there,, next o/ Liz.. if the engineers say there is no problem with the speed issue's and all is well..then the only conclusion is our current plan (5down/1up)is insufficient to meet our needs the the constant buffering is just crazy /data files taking why to long ...  anyways keep hearing about the the new gen4 with 10down/1up plans for the last 3yr's --- soooooo when will see these plan in our area??  o7 mark..
Liz

Good morning Mark,

I'm inclined to agree with you there, that perhaps your current plan isn't enough to meet your needs. Our new satellite will be launching this year and maybe you will have better plans available to you then. I don't have any other information I can share yet, but once I do, I'll let you know.

-Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Mark Shaver
New Poster

o/ Liz.. for giggles we been monitoring system status we saw that the turbopage would go out after a few minutes would reset -not alot but ever so often , don't know if this means anything... soooo don't be a stranger drop us a note every now and then.. o7 mark..
Liz

Sure thing Mark. As soon as I can share some useful news for you regarding new plans, I'll bump this thread or whatever you have open so you can know. 🙂

-Liz

Mark Shaver
New Poster

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Ongoing speed issues....

Goodmorning Liz. since our last communication I downloaded desktop gadget called Bit monitor to track download data(uploaded data) and track speed performance as well in both directions...hope this helps
Liz

That's pretty cool, Mark!

Mark Shaver
New Poster

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Just an update-slow speeds.

Using bitmonitor tracking data transfer speeds in both directions.. things are getting even slower it now takes between 3-5 min's just load facebook/hughes email/youtube videos even longer... current plan is 5MB down/1MB up -- sooo been using cell data/speeds to access --this costing soo much- it won't belong before cellular packages becomes a viable option...however trying to archive  over 8yrs information is not my idea of having fun...please help!!!...
Liz

Good morning Mark,

We'll need TestMy.net tests to establish your current performance as a baseline; just a reminder, TestMy.net is the only 3rd party speed test provider our engineers will consider.

Most important points:
-do the tests while directly connected to the HughesNet modem
-use the 5 MB test file
-space each test at least 5 minutes apart (3 tests is fine)

We'll be looking for your results here: http://testmy.net/quickstats/mark%20shaver

Please let me know if you have additional concerns.

Thanks,
Liz

Mark Shaver
New Poster

tried to set the test at 5MB up & 1MB down(manually) it is still testing at a higher setting..soooooo don't know what to tell you... that  site is  faulty...testmy.net..  
Liz

Good morning Mark,

Hmm, I don't recall the reasoning behind tmn adjusting the file size, but I found a tip on their forum from the site admin. Hopefully this will lock in the file size. Use the automatic test and make sure you have these settings:

-Liz