sso login loop

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
redneckmother
Freshman

sso login loop

Interesting problem... obviously, I'm able to log in and post here, but if I try to access my account details, I'm stuck in a loop of the following sites:

https://hughesnet.skylogin.com/idp/profile/SAML2/Redirect/SSO
https://sso.hughesnet.com/
http://my.hughesnet.com/login/log_in.pyt

I've tried clearing cookies, etc.

Thank you

42 REPLIES 42
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Try this as a link:

http://my.hughesnet.com/myaccount

I just logged in and see that the latest change caused us to lose the ability to get detailed hour-by-hour usage history reports for the rolling past 24 hours.

That is going to make it really tough for someone that is tracking a data loss issue and wishes to see the exact hour period where usage allegedly occurred.

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Hrm, I am not experiencing a logon loop my self...  Can you provide screenshots of where you are clicking from beginning to end and show us where this loop starts as well as what browser and version of the browser you are using?  I can click Sign In/Register in the top right inside the blue banner and get signed in just fine, then I can proceed to the community with ease.

Thanks,
C0RR

Thanks for the replies... I'll wait for a company rep.

...good luck then, because I can promise ya, @Liz or @Amanda will ask, "where are you seeing this at" or "can you show us a screenshot".  They will also probably ask how your logging in, like if you are using Facebook or a Hughesnet email.

A couple of thoughts:

Its been a while since I switched from my 7000 to Gen4 but there was a registration issue.

I suggest going to the old support site:

http://customercare.myhughesnet.com/

There you will see two log in options, one for the old and one for Gen4

Try a login on the old and see if it works.

See if you are prompted to re-register.

If not, click on the new Gen4 button and look for a registration link.

There was a change-over that needed to be done:

New Login snip.PNG

Remember, If you are promted for you SAN you must capitalize the letters DSS

If you do not know your SAN it can be found in the modems SCC at 192.168.0.1

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

@redneckmother wrote:

Thanks for the replies... I'll wait for a company rep.

You may be waiting a while.... this is a customer-to-customer help board, and the reps will likely tell you that what other customers have told you is right and you should follow their advice.  Might save you time if you went ahead and listened to the experienced customers.  Your choice, of course.

jezra:

No, but nice tip.

As outlined in my latest post, there are no addons installed, and 3rd party cookies are accepted.

It's odd that I can login if I first navigate to the "Community", and make these posts.  All alternative login methods fail with the described loop. After login to the "Community", subsequent navigation also fails with the described loop.

I've not been able to login to my account since switching from an HN7000 setup to Gen4 on an HN9000 (about three years ago).  I had given up, waiting for improvements.  Now, I *really need* to get this resolved.

Thank you.

A couple of thoughts:

Its been a while since I switched from my 7000 to Gen4 but there was a registration issue.

I suggest going to the old support site:

http://customercare.myhughesnet.com/

There you will see two log in options, one for the old and one for Gen4

Try a login on the old and see if it works.

See if you are prompted to re-register.

If not, click on the new Gen4 button and look for a registration link.

There was a change-over that needed to be done:

New Login snip.PNG

Remember, If you are promted for you SAN you must capitalize the letters (filter will not let me post the letters)  If you need help with that PM me.

If you do not know your SAN it can be found in the modems SCC at 192.168.0.1

GabeU

I had a somewhat similar problem last year and finally an Internet Explorer reset fixed the problem.  This was after trying many things, including clearing the cache and such.  

I don't know if it will have any effect, but you could try refreshing Firefox and see if that helps.  

Hello redneckmother,

Have you tried using incognito? I think in Firefox it is just "private browsing". 

If that does not work, what about other browsers or devices? Can you also try using your cellular connection (if one is available)? Have you modified your host file at all? I am pretty sure we can get down to the bottom of this if we put our heads together.

Thanks

Amanda 

Hello, Amanda (and others).

Not to be rude, but if I had any other way to connect to the 'net, I'd ditch HughesNet.  I despise the long latency, uneven (and always relatively low) speed, and ridiculous data caps.  So, no, I havent tried using a cell connection, because there isn't one.  No cable, no line-of-sight towers, no landline, no anything except electricity, a massive 2G cell booster (weak voice only), and open skies.  Welcome to The Boonies, prime HughesNet territory.

I haven't modified hosts. I tried two other workstations, using various flavors (releases) of OS and firefox with multiple local user accounts, including one created specifically to test Hughes account access.  I've tried the "no addons", "clear all cookies", "allow 3rd party", and Private Browsing routes.  I've tried an old Wind(bl)ows machine with Vista and Internet Explo(d|r)er.  I can login ONLY to the community forums, and then encounter the loop if I try to access account info. Any other login routes also result in the SSO loop.

I suspect there's something whacky about my account, as that discussion came up immediately after moving from the HN7000.  No one has convinced me that a thorough audit of my account configuration has been attempted.  Gwalk900 suggested using the "old" login to diagnose Gen4 account conversion problems, but I only (evidently) succeeded in creating a new and unwanted email account.  Attempts to login to manage my account resulted in the loop, again.

I'm reluctant to try the support line again, as my last convo with them about SSO was a washout.  The "script followers" there never managed to escalate the problem to someone who has knowledge and access to properly run a packet trace on my login attempts, examine the server side processes, or audit my account setup.

Thank you (all) for your time.

GabeU

"Not to be rude, but if I had any other way to connect to the 'net, I'd ditch HughesNet.  I despise the long latency, uneven (and always relatively low) speed, and ridiculous data caps.  So, no, I havent tried using a cell connection, because there isn't one.  No cable, no line-of-sight towers, no landline, no anything except electricity, a massive 2G cell booster (weak voice only), and open skies.  Welcome to The Boonies, prime HughesNet territory."

I wouldn't consider that rude.  To be honest, that's the case with most of us.  No one who has a better option, espcially a land based option like cable or fiber optic, would choose Hughesnet, or at least no one who does their own research before signing up.  For most of us, we get it because we are in the same boat as you.  That's nothing they aren't aware of.  They know very well that they are a niche ISP.  

Thank you, GabeU, for your kind words.

I am trying to be cooperative. I'd REALLY like some help with account access, from someone who can pinpoint and resolve the issue(s).

I retired after 30+ years in IT (beginning in 1974, when it was called "data processing"). I first used the Internet in the 1980s, before Tim Berners-Lee and Team rolled out "The Web".

Here's what I've done, "tech-wise":
(1970s and 1980s) IBM mainframe systems operator, telecommunications support technician, applications programmer, systems programmer. (1980s and 1990s) Ported / designed / wrote assembly language applications for various microprocessor platforms. (1990s and 2000s) Desktop and LAN support, 'nix systems and network administration, storage management system design and implementation.

I abhor "tech support" provided by barely understandable "script walkers" who have little or no understanding of the infrastructure they "support". *I* don't know the internals of HughesNet, and don't want to. When I have a problem I expect to get diagnostics and support from people who *DO*.

I want a 'net connection, free of filtering, caching, snooping, spoofing, etc. I don't want an ISP to dictate what platform or browser I use, or require questionable permissions for 'net traffic. I don't want to be told to plug a (notoriously buggy / insecure) WindBlows box directly into a modem and "try again".

I accept that I must pay for access and have an account with a provider. I want to view and edit my account info, method of payment, and hosted email accounts using platform agnostic interfaces. I want to protect my local network with a firewall and avoid insecure connections and devices. If I can surf and interact with other systems beyond the ISP, I should be able to interact with the ISP's account system without jumping through flaming hoops.

Is that too much to ask? I think not.

Okay, I now surrender my soapbox. Thanks for letting me vent.

Still experiencing this problem...

I reviewed my first post in this thread, and noticed that only one of the sites in the loop isn't an https address:

http://my.hughesnet.com/login/log_in.pyt

Hoping that may be (part of) the problem... it's certainly inconsistent.

Please advise.

Another week, another wait .

Tried opening an issue with support (via the email interface).  Bad idea.  I pointed to this thread, hoping tech would actually read and understand the sequence of events and the steps I've tried. 

Received a message suggesting alternative browsers, clearing cookies, etc.  Sheesh.

It seems that someone with the necessary permissions and skills needs to capture and debug the interactions between the various page loads, and find out what is causing the loop.

<crickets>

Hi redneckmother,

Thank you for posting back, I do apologize for this delay. This doesn't seem like something we can address on our own so what I can do is submit a ticket to our forum provider for their assistance. They're very good at pinpointing sources of issues, so once I hear back from them and/or have additional instructions I'll let you know. 

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Hi redneckmother,

Just an update: I've been investigating your account and I am encountering an error, so I'm following an internal path to resolving this, hopefully this will also resolve the SSO loop you're encountering. Your patience and understanding are greatly appreciated.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

<crickets>

Good morning redneckmother,

An error we're investigating that may be the source of your concerns is currently in the hands of our database engineers. As of now, they have not found a fix yet. Once I do have any news to share, I'll post back.