Hughesnet Community

suddenly cannot download more than 3 emails on Thunderbird; then tells me no more messages

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
goonybird
Freshman

suddenly cannot download more than 3 emails on Thunderbird; then tells me no more messages

I run Windows 10 (UGH! hate it!!!), hate the imbedded email program, used Thunderbird, had no problems. Went out of town, came back home, now when I attempt to download email, it only downloads 3 or 4 message before it shuts off. I had NO problems before I left, had no problems when I was out of town. I came into town to use REAL wi-fi internet, and Thunderbird is downloading fine, so it is obviously a Hughesnet problem. What is wrong, and how can I fix it?

16 REPLIES 16
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

@goonybird, not saying you don't have a problem but I just downloaded 13 emails using Thunderbird. Did you use the same device in town as at home to get email?

Exact same device. Works perfect on FASTer internet. Came home, still doesn't work. I think it's HughesNet connectivity problems, DNS lookup errors, etc. Fast internet it's not. It's not even moderate. Ours isn't too much better than dial-up.....

Have you opened the modems SCC at 192.168.0.1 to check FAP and see if any error conditions are present?

I didn't see any, although I'm not techy; I do think it is a DNS lookup error, or whatever it is called, because we get them all the time. It is VERY frustrating, because I cannot stand the email program imbedded in WIndows 10, and don't really think a different program would help.I also dislike having to use web-based email. I also dislike the crappy SLOW internet satellite service we get.... I

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

I too run Thunderbird.

I have TBird set to retrieve emails from 6 different accounts. Some are Hughes accounts, others are Gmail and Outlook.com accounts.

The only odd thing I have noticed is Gmail emails are not picked up the on the first start up. It does get them on the next download cycle.

Have tried to log onto the email server directly to see if mail is on the server at the time but has not been delivered?

I have messages at the server. I then go to Thunderbird and attempt to download them. For instance, I just attempted again. The bottom of the screen says, downloading 1 of 85. It will go to about 3 messages, I get the online icon going red (offline) the message changes to "no messages to download" although there are still messages on the server. I don't want to download 85 messages 3 at a time. I don't know what's going on, all I do know is that it has to be a Hughesnet thing, because when I go into town and use free wi-fi, it works perfectly.

Gwalk900 wrote:

The only odd thing I have noticed is Gmail emails are not picked up the on the first start up. It does get them on the next download cycle.

Have tried to log onto the email server directly to see if mail is on the server at the time but has not been delivered?

I would next try disabling Web Acceleration and then forcing TBird to get Gmail.

It may be a "time-out" issue.

Have you verified FAP status?

Have you checked for active SCC error codes/conditions?

Have you ran any speed tests at testmy.net? (12MB manual download)

@Gwalk900 wrote:

I would next try disabling Web Acceleration and then forcing TBird to get Gmail.

It may be a "time-out" issue.

Have you verified FAP status?

Have you checked for active SCC error codes/conditions?

Have you ran any speed tests at testmy.net? (12MB manual download)

Huh? I'm not a techie LOL!

"Have you verified FAP status?"

Your HughesNet account is a data capped service. If you deplete your data allowance your speeds, under most circumstances will be greatly curtailed. This is known as being in FAP (Fair Access Policy)

One method of checking your remaining data allowance is to view the Modems SCC (System Control Center) it can be found by entering 192.168.0.1 into your browsers address bar.

All three of your "data buckets" will be displayed on the first page of the SCC:

Data Buckets.PNG

If you are out of data your system is likely to run very slowly.

There is a SmartBrowse feature that can kick in and maintain normal or near normal speeds while out of data but your activity must be of a very basic nature ... plain page browsing ... email ... unless the email has large attachments them FAP will kick in speeds will be throttled.

Choices here are reduce activity level until refill, buy Token Data or wail until monthly refill.

"Have you checked for active SCC error codes/conditions?"

Just like the dashboard on your car, your Hughesnet connection has a dashboard that will indicate and error conditions. Whenever your connection is acting up you should look at its dashboard.

That again is the Modems SCC found at 192.168.0.1

HT1100 SCC Main page:

SCC Main page snip.PNG

A quick look at the color of the icons marked as #1 and #2 will tell the story..... are they both green?

"I would next try disabling Web Acceleration and then forcing TBird to get Gmail."

Your Hughes system is connected behind a Hughes Web Acceleration server. At times the server is slow to respond and a   or a process may "time-out" .. a browser may respond with a "This Page Cannot Be Displayed" error or something similar.

At times you can buy yourself more time by disabling Web Acceleration.

To do this you need to click on the small icon marked as #3 in the SCC main page posted above. That will open the Modems Advanced Pages:

New Advanced snip.PNG

On the menu tree on the left, click on Advanced Menu. click on General, click on Web Acceleration and finally Control.

Remove the check mark from the highlighted box, then try your application again.

Don't forget to re-enable W/A when finished.

@Gwalk900 wrote:

"Have you verified FAP status?"

Your HughesNet account is a data capped service.

We are Gen 3, using the HN9000 modem, so our System Control Center looks different. We also have a daily data re-set, and are very vigilant, probably **bleep**, about using our data, so now, it's not an issue of slowing down because of that.

:

Data Buckets.PNG

"Have you checked for active SCC error codes/conditions?"

Just like the dashboard on your car, your Hughesnet connection has a dashboard that will indicate and error conditions. Whenever your connection is acting up you should look at its dashboard.

That again is the Modems SCC found at 192.168.0.1

HT1100 SCC Main page:

SCC Main page snip.PNG

A quick look at the color of the icons marked as #1 and #2 will tell the story..... are they both green?

Ours has 5 categories, the first being System Statue, and it's green. The rest are blue

"I would next try disabling Web Acceleration and then forcing TBird to get Gmail."

Your Hughes system is connected behind a Hughes Web Acceleration server. At times the server is slow to respond and a   or a process may "time-out" .. a browser may respond with a "This Page Cannot Be Displayed" error or something similar.

At times you can buy yourself more time by disabling Web Acceleration.

To do this you need to click on the small icon marked as #3 in the SCC main page posted above. That will open the Modems Advanced Pages:

New Advanced snip.PNG

On the menu tree on the left, click on Advanced Menu. click on General, click on Web Acceleration and finally Control.

Remove the check mark from the highlighted box, then try your application again.

Don't forget to re-enable W/A when finished.

Being that our control center is different, we do not have a Web Acceleration option, so, I cannot try that...

So yes, I'm still a lost ball in high weeds!

Thanks, Nancy

Hello Nancy,

The HN9000 system is different than the HT1100.

You still can disable web acceleration form the 9000's SCC. That function is known as "Turbopage" in a 9000.

Hopefully the copy/paste will work here in the new community;

How to Disable, Enable or Reset Turbopage Web Acceleration on a HN9000 HughesNet System.

Open up System Control Center by typing 192.168.0.1 or http://www.systemcontrolcenter.com/ into your Browser Address Bar.

Then click the little Icon to the right of the words "what do these controls mean"
It is circled and #8 in the photo below and looks like a little grey man...

Clicking the icon (#8) will bring you into advanced portion of the SCC....

After your in Advanced SCC area...

Click Turbopage in the side menu on the left, This will open a drop down menu under Turbopage...

Click the word Control and then select Enable/Reset..

A window will then open up in the center of the SCC screen with the options, Select Disable and then click OK...

Same procedure to Re-Enable or Reset the Server..

Enable - Re-Enables the Web Acceleration
Reset - Forces a new connection to another Turbopage server from the list of different servers your system uses

This is a pic for reference...Follow numbers in order.

Also NOTE: Please DO NOT mess with any options below the green box.. You can accidently disable your system if something gets changed....

I use this all the time; unfortunately it does not help
Nancy
@Gwalk900 wrote:

Hello Nancy,

The HN9000 system is different than the HT1100.

You still can disable web acceleration form the 9000's SCC. That function is known as "Turbopage" in a 9000.

AJ42
New Poster

I'm still running XP using Eudora Pro email, and have the same problem.

However, I have learned it is being caused anytime someone sends me a file attachment that is at least 1 megabyte in size.

As soon as I get at the mail usings Mail2Web.com   ( a webmail program) and delete the large attachment(s), I can then relaunch Eudora and it will then download all the messages.

Whether it initially downloads any of the messages, seems to depend on when the offending message (with large attachments) arrived.

Today, 5 megabytes of attachments were attached to the very first message and so none of the 25 messages would download until I went in with Mail2Web, transferred the attachments to a folder in my hard drive, and then deleted the attachments from the server.

This just started happening a couple of weeks ago.  So, I'm guessing HughesNet has made some sort of change and getting them to admit to it and correct it will be a PITA.  The first thing their tech will say is "We don't support XP or Eudora".  

That HughesNet stopped supporting XP is "blowing smoke" and is not relevant to the problem of their email server choking on large file attachments.