cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

testmy.net and the 12mb test...a question

Distinguished Professor IV

testmy.net and the 12mb test...a question

Not that it's all that important, but what is the reason for the 12MB test size when testing at testmy.net? 

The reason I ask is that, during the off peak hours, the 12MB test often ends too quickly and it kicks up to 36MB.  When in these times, to avoid this, I use the 15MB test, as it seems to last just past the seven seconds so it doesn't kick up to 36MB.  When I am in the peak usage period, I use the 12MB test, of course, as it lasts past the seven second mark with no problem. 

During the off peak times, is it okay to use the 15MB test so it doesn't kick up to the 36MB size, or is this going to give an erroneous result, and if so, why?  Is there something inherently special about the 12MB test, like it's tailored specifically toward satellite internet?    

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
4 REPLIES 4

Re: testmy.net and the 12mb test...a question

Uh, yes, I am quite aware of that, and my post indicated such. 

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

Well, if everyone's speed was expected to be the same, then yes, it would make sense and answer my question.  When speeds vary from time to time, beam to beam and person to person, and going by that reasoning, choosing the 12MB size seems no more important than picking the 15MB during off peak times, or choosing the 3MB test during peak times.  I actually thought that there was more behind the 12MB test size than it simply lasts long enough due to it being stressed to everyone to use that size. 

If that truly is the reason, then that's fine, but again, as much as it's stressed, I thought that there was really more behind it.   

Alum

Hi GabeU,

Thanks for posting. It is as you explained. 12 MB is the sweet spot. Gives the system enough time to get an accurate reading. 15 MB isn't too far off and I personally think this is fine. If you see more accurate results with 15 for your specific site then by all means use it. 12 MB is recommended by our engineers and if we were to escalate a slow speed case to them, that is what they would look for.

- Chris

Okay, then it's strictly because it hits the sweet spot.  I was hesitant to NOT use the 12MB, even though it almost always kicked up to a higher amount, because I thought that maybe there was something specific about the 12MB size, like maybe it was tailor made for Hughesent and it had specific properties to it.  Knowing this, I won't hesitate to use what's more appropriate for me during the off peak times (what is large enough (15MB), but not so much that it's a waste (the 36MB it usually kicks up to), but I will still use the 12MB during the peak times, simply because it could always surprise me and go faster. 

Thanks for the info.