too many emails to delete

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mertbean
New Poster

too many emails to delete

I have over 6500 emails in my in box.  How can I delete them quickly instead of one by one.  I waited too long to go to the emails and it has been building up daily.  Please help.  It is hard to delete them one by one.  I may need to keep some, but how can I get rid of the junk and companies emails.  

3 REPLIES 3
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@mertbean 

If you are speaking of your HughesNet email on the HughesNet email web page, the fastest way to delete all of them, which will still take a little bit of time, is to be on your inbox and scroll down through all of the emails, or at least a certain number of them.  Then, when you've scrolled down through all of them, or however many you want to do that particular time, tick the box up at the top, which will tick all of the ones you've scrolled through, and then click Delete.  It will get rid of all of the ones that you've scrolled through and were ticked.  If you scrolled all the way to the bottom of the entire list and then tick the catch all box, it should delete all of them when you click delete.  On the upper right you can see how many you've scrolled through so far, and when you tick that catch all box and click delete, you should see the number reduce by how many you had already scrolled through.  

You can use your mouse wheel to scroll through them, or use the scroll bar on the right of the message body to keep scrolling further down.  It will take you longer if you can't use a mouse wheel, but this is the quickest way you can do this.  There is no "Empty" button to completely empty the inbox easily and all at once, though I really wish there was, so you have to do it piece-meal like this.  Again, when you tick that catch all box at the top, it will only tick as many emails as you've scrolled through.  

Since you have so many, I would do maybe 500 or 1000 at a time, though you can certainly scroll through all of them so you can delete all of them at once.  

Email.jpg

Hope this helps.  🙂

Amanda

Hey mertbean,

Before doing this I recommend using the search bar at the top of the page to find the emails/senders you want to keep and move them into another folder. You can make a new folder by clicking the icon of a folder with a plus sign on it in the left hand menu. The quickest way to delete everything is while on a computer, hold down the SHIFT key and check the "select all" box that Gabe mentions above. Hit delete and you should see an "in progress" box pop up with a counter. It might take a few minutes.

Thanks,

Amanda

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@Amanda wrote:

The quickest way to delete everything is while on a computer, hold down the SHIFT key and check the "select all" box that Gabe mentions above. Hit delete and you should see an "in progress" box pop up with a counter. It might take a few minutes. 

Wow!!!  I didn't know you could do that.  Pretty neat, and it works!  🙂  

I misread the OP's post about possibly wanting to keep some of the emails.