cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

uplink errors and more

Highlighted

Re: uplink errors and more

Hi sozoridge,

Thanks for confirming. At this point I'd try sending you a modem, but since you have your dispatch coming up soon, let's wait and see how it goes after that. Please let me know if he replaces your modem and how it works out for you afterwards.

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->

Sophomore

Well, not only did that service call not do anything postiive for my connectivity, but I am now forced to live with this completely worthless ht2000w modem/router hybrid that sucks twice as much power and prevents public IP assignment to my own router.

The tech confirmed everything is good on my side, that I'm getting good reception, 115, with no line of sight obstructions.  That my existing setup was good, the ht1100 modem worked fine. But he had to swap the modem out because that was required by Hughesnet.

I'd asked him how soon he might be able to come out again if I scheduled an appointment to move my dish to a different location (visual eye sore currently).  He said it might be a little while, as he has a major backlog of service calls for Hughesnet right now as a lot of people are having the same connectivity trouble that I'm having, even though there isn't much he can do about it until Hughesnet fixes their problems, which started a couple of months ago.  That correlates to mine and other neighbors experience, and explains why it took so long for them to send someone out.

So, for everyone reading - these connectivity issues are a systemic problem.  As my neighbors are all super happy with Exede when they switched, I've no incentive to stay with Hughesnet at this point.

For those that do stick with Hughesnet, if you have the ht1100 modem, and you want to manage your own network... don't get upgraded.  If you want an all in one modem/router/access point that hughesnet can have access to your devices on, then sure go for it, enjoy.

@Liz, I feel sorry for you having to deal with this mess with no real ability to help.  Good luck.

Associate Professor

The HT1100 never gave you a public facing IP address either, it gave you an address that adheared to RFC6598, which is far from being public.

You can use your own router with the HT2000w if you so choose.  As far as issues, it sounds like you are on ES-17, and aged bird that has been at capacity in most areas for some time.

As far as your neighbors being happy... The grass isn't always greener on the other side.

Sophomore

That is technically right, but the point being to not have yet another NAT between my router and the outside world.  Of course one can use a router behind another router.  Daisy chain as many as you like.

And yes, my dish is pointed at 17 as I'm in the west coast black out area for 19.  As for its "age" or "capacity" of the "bird" being the problem. No.  The problems are on the ground at the gateways.  Shared infrastructure that can't handle the increased capacity that came with bringing the new satellite online.  They'll get it sorted eventually, but not before they lose customers to Exede.

Grass is greener - proof is in the pudding - sitting at a neighbors, watching HD video with no buffering (I'd be happy with opening a web page without DNS errors or network drops).  Now, it just may end up that Viasat falls flat on their face (as seeminly Hughesnet has) when they bring viasat-2 services online, but at least from their marketing/press releases, they've invested heavily in their ground infrastructure to handle the capacity.  Time will tell.

Thanks for your knowledgable input.

Associate Professor

Sophomore

@C0RR0SIVEWhere do your rolling eyes find any statement that asserted the Hughesnet has not invested in ground infrastructure? 

Really, what do you get out of trying to undermine any post that would instead benefit from Hughesnet stepping up and taking ownership of their issues?  You from time to time offer great peer support, and that is appreciated, stick to that.

Associate Professor

@sozoridge wrote:

but at least from their marketing/press releases, they've invested heavily in their ground infrastructure to handle the capacity.  Time will tell.

Leads one to believe that you think the other entity, hasn't invested.  Don't try to play wordgames here, it won't work.

Sophomore

@C0RR0SIVE

This is a tech support form.  Unless you have some technical support to offer, please keep your comments and opinions to the other forums.  You can read my comments in whatever light you want, but responses are not needed in this forum unless it moves the discussion towards a solution.  None of your responses lately have been doing that.