cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

use less that 300 mb get hit for over 800 on the same day

Highlighted

use less that 300 mb get hit for over 800 on the same day

To Liz, Amanda or Chris

Hey everyone something is definitely rotten in Denmark to use an old cliché.  I really don't like to gripe very much however the past 2 months I have used my PC less and used more data.  I got throttled last month and it looks like I may be throttled this month as well.  The only problem is I  used my PC online less than usual.  Today I decided to check out why so I had to log into my Windoze Partition (darn that hurt) to view the status meter.  I also went to the dashboard and the usage didn't make sense to me.  I checked the usage on the status meter graph and compared it to the usage bar graph on the dashboard.  I discovered one thing the two wasn't even close.  I compared several days while some of them matched a lot of them didn't come close.  The largest discrepancy was on October the 20th and 10th with the 20th being the worst.  The funny thing is on the 20th I wasn't home that much I was helping at the Garage on a Computer problem 12 miles away.  Knowing I will most likely get the same check this and check that I took  a couple of screen shots to show what I mean.  I chose October 20th as it was the largest discrepancy.

As you can see it is showing over 800 MB on October 20th

No uploads and just under 320MB downloads and 52MB at 2am (bonus time) on October 20th

So with this all I have to say is what is the problem this isn't unidentified usage it is over exaggerated usage.  Liz, Amanda, or Chris let me know something my contract is over January the third and the offer from Exede is starting to look pretty good.  I don’t mind being throttled if I over use but if I don't overuse and get throttled that I do mind.  Your prompt attention to this matter will be appreciated.

Gary  Smiley Sad
12 REPLIES 12
Honorary Alumnus

Re: use less that 300 mb get hit for over 800 on the same day

For crying out loud Gary, Are you for real on this or is this post "bait", I really have to ask in this one.

For real I went to the SCC and saw my usage and said this isn't right so I started researching the screen shots are for real.  I have used the PC on line less than normal and gobbled up more Data than normal.  Maybe some of these folks that say something is wrong may be correct in their assessment.  I very seldom use Windows so no Status Meter to look at all the time but still have a Windows 7 partition active when I have to use it like to make my Mortgage Payment (they don't support Linux) however last month and this month my Data has been flying away while I have been using less.
Assistant Professor

About all I can recommend is a router that tracks usage by device. I realized I needed one to truly manage my usage on HughesNet.

Yea but the status meter reads from the modem not the network and the status meter doesn't read the same as the hughes net site.

Had to let the dogs out. 

There is something strange going on when one Hughes device doesn't agree with another Hughes device.  One more thing I find curious is the dashboard on the HughesNet web page reads about right but the SCC and Status Meter doesn't. I'll wait to see what the Hughes Reps say but like Ricky Ricardo use to say, "Lucy you have some explaining to do".
Honorary Alumnus

Just fir the Halibut, go herehttp://customercare.myhughesnet.com
Click tools, click "check usage", Enter modem type and SAN, select date.
Make adjustments for time zone as this display is from the perspective of eastern time zone.

Is the usage upload or download ?
What was turned on at the time , any Windows machines ?
Honorary Alumnus

The "at a glance " meter feeds the rest and is the most accurate.

The bar graft is from the Dashboard and there is no way in H*** that I used over 800 MB on the 20th and no Windows machines on line.  All I did on the 20th was check email and a couple of News sites NewsMax and Fox News text only no video.  My browser and OS doesn't allow auto play Video either.  I have them set that way for a reason to curb data usage.
Honorary Alumnus

Not the useless bar graph, that is a "history"(read as "delayed" history), its pretty, pretty useless.
No the "meter", the At A Glance usage meter, the one where you can see a single MB disappear.