Hughesnet Community

used all 15 gb for the month in 13 days. ????

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
beevee012
New Poster

used all 15 gb for the month in 13 days. ????

1st month went well. Feb 2nd new billing cycle it all went to heck. used total 30 Gb in 13 days. 15gb plus 12gb after calling plus 3 anytime gb. No steaming, no video usage, no extreme use what so ever. Turned it off. After several calls, it was my computers fault not theirs. Sound Familiar??? I was with HN about 5 years ago and assumed they had improved. I WAS WRONG. Missed the billing cycle cut off for new month. Going to cancel at end of this months cycle and pay the Disconnect service. YES PAYING THEM TO TAKE  THEIR SERVICE AWAY TELLS YOU HOW BAD THIS SYSTEM IS.
16 REPLIES 16
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

As a courtesy, they refill your data everyday for the first 20 days, to help customers who may need to update their systems.   After that the user needs to learn how to manage the available data.  Something was eating your data; there are ways to figure out why.  However, you have the choice to cancel and go with someone else. Good luck!
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Lets take a closer look here:

Hughes as an ISP make an amount of data available and supports the delivery of that data to the Modems LAN port.

It is, with just a couple of exceptions, the users connected devices that consume the supplied data.

The exceptions:

> A failing transmitter can inflate data usage due to a high transmission failure rate <

How to proceed: As the forum Moderator to run remotes diagnostics and to check your Modems error logs

> A failing modem that gets locked into an update/fall back loop can use data on its own <

How to proceed: Perform a Modem Isolation Test as follows

What you are doing here is:

#1: Take a screenshot of the Download Status Meter and note the exact time.

#2: At that time disconnect the Ethernet cable from the rear of the modem. Leave the Modem powered up.

#3: Wait a period of time. Overnight for example

#4: Connect the Ethernet cable to the Modem and note the exact time and immediately take another screenshot of the usage meter.

If there was meaningful data usage post the Disconnect and Reconnect screenshots as well as the associated times here in this topic so that the Mods can address your issue.

Remember to leave the Modem powered up as this will preserve the Modem logs that support your case.

In the event that there was no usage during the period of disconnect we have to conclude that the data is being used by something as yet unknown in your network.

There are those of us in the Community that can assist you in finding the culprit but first lets have the diagnostics performed as well as doing the Modem Isolation test.

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Sorry but something is using that much data. You say no streaming or video use but many web pages now have embedded video and use data unless blocked. Many other things use data behind the scenes like cloud syncing, updates, and yes your computer and mobile devices.

One reason they provide meters in three different places to monitor usage which should be done on a daily basis.
GabeU

What devices do you have connected to the service?  

Something is using the data.  The trick is to find out what it is, though it's not exceedingly difficult.  

If you have a Windows based PC you can try Glasswire.  It monitors what is using the data on that PC, though, again, only on that PC.  If you have more than one PC, you'd need to install it on each of them.  

https://www.glasswire.com/

If a Windows 10 PC, make sure you it's not sharing updates with every Tom, Dick and Harry on the net, and Windows 10 is set up by default to do so.  Microsoft would rather use your data than their own to update peoples' computers.  

Apple products have the "Activity Monitor," and a Network section within that.  

Some routers allow you to see how much data each connected device is using.  

Satellite TV receivers can also use a LOT of data, even when not actively streaming and even when "off."  

Downloading upgrades to phones ate a lot of data. And yes a forth grader could probably pinpoint the device that is using the data as it is not hard to figure out. My point is, you cant run a home network stream videos etc and take care of updating other devices. Am I suppoed to go to a diner with free WiFi to do this. This system is a scam in my opionion. Should have known from my experience 5 years ago, my bad

maratsade

@beevee012 wrote:

Downloading upgrades to phones ate a lot of data. And yes a forth grader could probably pinpoint the device that is using the data as it is not hard to figure out. My point is, you cant run a home network stream videos etc and take care of updating other devices. Am I suppoed to go to a diner with free WiFi to do this. This system is a scam in my opionion. Should have known from my experience 5 years ago, my bad

You're supposed to budget your data. Satellite internet is not unlimited; it requires some care from the user. Perhaps you need to consider upgrading the amount of data you get, or go with another provider, if one is available.

kandeannasas1

"If a Windows 10 PC, make sure you it's not sharing updates with every Tom, Dick and Harry on the net, and Windows 10 is set up by default to do so.  Microsoft would rather use your data than their own to update peoples' computers."
GabeU, would you mind elaborating on this a bit? What settings do I need to look for to change this activity? I'm guessing Microsoft Updates have been eating up my data and want to minimize this as much as possible.

Seems everyone is admitting to an extent that you cant use HN to do the needed things to keep a home network running. Very Limited on what you can use the Data for. so to upgrade your home computer you should take the thing to another internet site as it will zap most or alot of your internet allowance. Just cancelled today, to everyone, good luck!

Just used another .82g just typing on this forum. Unbelievable. this morning it said I used 3.79g then 4.96g and now 5.78g.

I feel your pain. I am in the same boat. I used all 20GB in 4 days and I dont know why. It's just me and my husband and we don't play games or stream videos. We have 2 computers connected, a wireless printer and our cell phones. We work most of the day but yet our data is draining so fast. I am tempted to go back to the slow Cincinnati Bell Wifi because this will cost me a fortune at this rate. This is my 2nd month as a Hughes Net customer. I am checking the usage meter  daily but I have no clue where its going.

maratsade

You may want to install Glasswire on your computers, to see where the data is going.  It may be used on pages that run videos (such as CNN or Facebook, for example), or apps may be updating in the background, etc.  Glasswire will show where the data is going.

GabeU

@loucou0825

Make sure your computers, if using Windows 10, aren't set up to be sharing updates.  That can use a ton of data.  Your phones can use a lot of data, especially if they are using the cloud.  

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

glaz2347
New Poster

I did all the stuff you & Gabe suggested and still the gigs are running amok. I have been a hughes net customer for 5 yrs and until Jan of this year I always had gigs left over from my 15. Now I am over by the 10th of the month. I am a photographer and haven't uploaded or downloaded anything for months. Still I am using @ 2 gigs a day reading news & facebook, not clicking on anything.
   Question : How do I block the videos on aol & msn?
GabeU

What BirdDog posted is what I was referring to.  That first link gives a good description and instructions regarding that specific thing.
beevee012
New Poster

Just cancelled today June 1st 2017 New month starts 6/2/2017. paying the $370 disconnect fee. The plan I was on 15G says you can run a network on this. stream videos etc. Nope. Just turned HN back on for the month 5/31/17 no usage for the entire month as I have not used it. Got up this AM, used 3.79G last night and after calling to disconnect another 1.2g used. To the person who suggested , they have 3 usage meters and you should check them daily! I did,  one day and a third of my usage was gone. Phones upgraded yes. so I have a plan that will run a network, steam videos, but if you need to upgrade any device its going to suck your data....my point is you cant run a home network with Hughesnet. And I still have the system thru the end of today Im assuming as I still have service till mid nite