cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

very Slow speed

New Poster

very Slow speed

For the last several weeks my internet has been very slow.  Right now my download speed is 350kbps which is nowhere near the 25mbps (or as HughesNet likes to say, "UP TO 25mbps" ) that I am paying for.  I just read where Exede has new plans where they have 12mbps (or UP TO 12mbps) with unlimited data.  This is the closest thing I've seen to actual unlimited data.  They say if you go over the limit (35gb) for the lowest plan then your speeds MAY be slowed if the system is congested and then speeded back up when the congestion is gone.  That sounds a little more acceptable than what I currently have with HN.  

Is HN ever going to solve this problem with slow internet access??????

10 REPLIES 10
Distinguished Professor III

Re: very Slow speed

@30harry 

The first thing is to make sure that you are not currently out of data and subject to the Fair Access Policy.  You can do so via the System Control Center.  If you are not presently out of data and subject to FAP, the reps will need some speed test results using the following protocol in order to begin troubleshooting your speed issue...

To help the HughesNet Customer Service Reps get a head start on your speed concerns, please create a testmy.net account (if you do not already have one) and, while signed into that account, perform a batch of 3-5 tests during different parts of the day, then share the account results link with us here.

Most important points to remember during this test:
-do the tests while directly connected to the HughesNet modem with a LAN cable (NO third party Router or Wireless devices can be used)
-disable the WiFi while the speed tests are being performed
-use the 12MB size download test file ONLY if on Gen4 Service Plan
-use the 25MB size download test file ONLY if on Gen5 Service Plan

-If testing upload instead of download, you must use a 4MB size upload test file
-space each test at least 5 minutes apart
-post your testmy results URL here, it may look something like http://testmy.net/quickstats/yourusername

For a more in depth guide on running the tests, please see this site (due to being an older site, the stated test sizes are incorrect for Gen5 (please use the test sizes listed in the instructions above, in bold, for Gen5)).

The Reps are on M-F from approximately 8AM to 5PM Eastern. They will be the ones to address your speed issues, but they will need these tests to do so.

If you don't know how to disable the WiFi in the HT2000W, please see "How do I manage my built-in WiFi modem?" in this PDF. Please be sure to click "Save Settings" after unchecking "SSID Enable" for each of the four tabs individually (2.4Ghz, then 2.4Ghz Guest, then 5Ghz, then 5Ghz Guest).

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
New Poster

OK, here are the test results.  All it shows is that the speed of my connection is fine when I'm not using it but pathetic during the times I actually want to use it.  These were run just as "required" although I don't think running these tests is actually necessary.  They can see what the congestion looks like while sitting in their control center.  They have access to all the network performance numbers right there.  And yet, here we are "running tests" to tell them what the problem is.  

https://testmy.net/quickstats/30Harry

I am not out of data and on FAP but will be soon if I have to keep running these tests with 25mb files sizes.  

From a HughesNet corporate standpoint the numbers are probably acceptable to them and that is probably the response i will get.  After all the "AVERAGE" download speed is over 10mbps.  Who could ask for more?  

ME!  I don't care if the average download speed is 200mbps over a 24 hour period if the ACTUAL download speed when I want to use it is only 200kbps which it has been.  

I'm sure the normal response to a problem like this is to play "whack-a-mole" where they sit in the control center and say, "look, this guys speed is slow, let's move him over here so it will pick up until that one starts to become overcrowed and then we can figure out where to move him then if he complains again".  

Tech Support please advise what I should do to improve my download speed and don't tell me I should only use it during the hours of 4am to 7am.  

Harry

Tags (1)
Distinguished Professor III

@30harry wrote:

OK, here are the test results.  All it shows is that the speed of my connection is fine when I'm not using it but pathetic during the times I actually want to use it.  These were run just as "required" although I don't think running these tests is actually necessary.  They can see what the congestion looks like while sitting in their control center.  They have access to all the network performance numbers right there.  And yet, here we are "running tests" to tell them what the problem is. 

HughesNet isn't monitoring you network.  They don't know what's happening with your individual network without you running the tests and showing them the results.  They can see some information down to the modem as part of running remote diagnostics, but they don't monitor individual performance.

Edited:  My apologies for the content of my reply that has now been deleted.  I conflated your thread with another, and one in which help was not easily allowed.

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Highlighted

Good morning 30harry,

I see it's your first post here, so welcome to the community! I appreciate you running the tests, these help, so I added a data token to your account. The HughesNet equipment is working normally from what I can see in the diagnostics, and the performance in the area you're in is already being maintained as best as our network engineers can. Some of those speeds are concerning to me, so I've escalated your case to engineering for their input. Once I have any news to share, I'll post back.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->

New Poster

Thank you for the response Liz.  

I am an infinitely patient person so no worries.  

Your response " and the performance in the area you're in is already being maintained as best as our network engineers can" concerns me slightly as it makes me suspect the response from engineering will be "everything is working fine" with the not stated addendum "we just over-subscribed in your area".  I am a long time HN user and actually had HN back in 2002 for a while so I know how far the technology has advanced.  So I hope there is hope for the future of my service.  

Again, thanks for the response.

Harry

Hi Harry,

We really appreciate your patience! We'll let you know if engineering has instructions for you or needs additional information.

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->

New Poster

One more thought LIz,

I am not after blazing fast download speeds so I can copy the google database or the total internet. 

I would be perfectly happy with a download speed of 4-6 mbps when I want to use it but the rate it has been lately when I want to use it is not acceptable. My connection has hovered around the 200-500kbps area in the evening and that will not work for me. 

Thank you for your assistance with this issue.   

Harry

Totally understandable, Harry. I was really concerned about those results in the kbps, I personally wouldn't accept that.

Thanks,
Liz

New Poster

https://testmy.net/myresults

OK Liz,  

Additional test results.  This shows the performance from about 9:30pm to about 11pm (the time when I am most apt to try to use HughesNet at the necessary download rate) never goes above 440kbps.  And even at 2am it drops down to 730kbps.   If it is less than about 3mbps, then it is not usable to me.  

And this shows what it is at this exact moment 8/15/19 9:07pm CST       https://testmy.net/myresults    297kbps  

Just an FYI as to how consistantly bad it is at the exact wrong time for me.  

Harry