very poor download speeds

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jmogey
Sophomore

very poor download speeds

Last June I upgraded from Gen4 to Gen5. A month or so later I noticed that my connections were sluggish and gradually they got worse and worse. By mid August our internet connection became. I did numerous speed tests and finally called tech support as I thought the modem might be failing. After many speed tests with tech support they accepted thast my system was very slow (generally under 1Mbps, often 300-500 Kbps). They had a techician come out to check everything and everything was working fine.

From here it went to another level of support and eventually I was told that my problem was probably connected to my being on the Echostar 17 satellite and that I was in Western Oregon I was blacked out of Echostar 19. I was also told that they were trying to move people over to 19 and that that should help my service.

Well nothing has changed and has actually got worse. About now I'm getting about 300KBps. I've called tech support again and another higher level tech support has been set up. I'm guessing I'll have to again and again prove that my service is slow and can never get a response to my basic "what will you do for my service?"

I've been using Hughesnet for 7 years with fine service until these past few months.

I know that I'm not the only person experiencing this and wonder if anyone knows whether Hughesnet has plans to remedy the problem (phone people seem to be oblivious).

39 REPLIES 39

I forgot to add that these low speeds are independent of timeof day. Every so often I will have good speeds (at least 10Mbs) for an hour or two), that too being independent of time of day.

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Yep, I'd say there's a problem. I hope that something can be done for you, and soon. 

@jmogey wrote:

I forgot to add that these low speeds are independent of timeof day. Every so often I will have good speeds (at least 10Mbs) for an hour or two), that too being independent of time of day.

maratsade, do the moderators generally follow these posts or is it necessary to contact them privately?

GabeU

@jmogey

The reps do monitor the threads, especially when they are subscribed to them (they've answered before).  You do not need to PM them.  

With that said, it may help to post some of your speed test results from testmy.net.  

Here are my results

http://testmy.net/quickstats/john%20mogey

As you can see there are some spikes of good speeds in the midst of mainly very slow speeds. Right now is not so bad (actually very good by my history.

Good morning jmogey,

Welcome to the community and thank you for posting and running speed tests, we certainly would like to help address your concerns. Were you able to run any tests using the 25 MB test file size? I'll run remote diagnostics on your site in the meantime to check on your equipment.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Thanks Liz,

I've done many tests at upwards of 44Mb with no noticeable differences. I just ran tests now: 1.3MB file 648Kbs, 25MB file 908Kbs. They're on my testmy.net account.

Looking forward to whether you find anything on your end.

Thannks again.

Thanks, jmogey. I've also run remote diagnostics on your site and your equipment is working normally so we can rule that out for now.

Once I have any updates from engineering I'll let you know.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

It's been over a month and a half since the word about the engineers starting to work on opening up capacity on the satellites and I have no idea what progress if any they have made. I've been pretty patient since I first flagged my poor download speeds last September. From reading this forum I know I am not alone in this. 

Recently there has been some improvement during the day ( I just checked and got 5.1 Mbps dowbload), but evenings I'm back down to very low speeds (about 1M) and over the weekend I was back down in the 500K range. So there has been some improvement, but as soon as folks come home from work it is very bad. And even now, at 5.1M, it is far from what I should be able to get and an unreasonably small percent of what is advertised (yes I know "up tp 25M" is not always 25M). When it has been months at 300K-1000K 5.1 M seems great, but it isn't what I used to have on Gen4. So it's getting better, but has a way to go.

I hope that there would be a greater response from HughesNet, especially the business end. We should be offered rebates and reduced rates. Also if this problem is unresolvable in a resonable time frame there should be a "no questions asked" waiver of the cancellation fee.  From the tech end there should be regular updates on what's going on. I need to know if it is even feasible that there can be a solution to the problem, save launching anew satellite a few years from now. All of us on the receiving end of this problem need more than being asked to be patient.

Good morning jmogey, 

Please check your private messages in the top right corner of the community page as I've sent you a PM to further address your concerns.

maratsade

@jmogey wrote:

maratsade, do the moderators generally follow these posts or is it necessary to contact them privately?

Like Gabe said, they do follow the posts -- in general,it's best if you post your own thread, as sometimes posts get lost if there is more than one customer per thread.   

Has anyone ever received a call from an engineer?  Since switching on October 19th from Gen 4 (big mistake) I have been escalated at least 5 times to engineering & no change, no communication and consistently inconsisten downloads .5 to7.5, mostly between 1 & 3 (our upload speed is faster than download about 40% of the time).  Time of day or night makes no consistent difference.  More testing than NASA prefilght, even with computer in safe mode, connection always shows good on modem, latency between 3.5 & 5.0 normally.  Another promise today for call from Technical Support for internet and another new case number.  This resulted after us calling to inquire about not receiving an escalted engineering call back as promised with our last case number two days ago, which was after not receiving a call back from our 2 to 4 day escalated engineering call back did not come from our 12/6/17 case #.

Tech support are usually very nice, it would be such a joy if HughesNet service delivery was even half of the advertised rate.  Can't understand how there can be forums on what kind of games people play when we have trouble loading a web page, let alone actullay listen to a song or watch youtube or CNN video without buffer stutter.

Two months of paying for service not even within the universe of advertised.

GabeU

@iversondl

To receive help with your issue, please create a new topic.  You can do so by clicking on the blue "Start a topic" button on the upper right while in the Tech Support section.  

Thanks for that, @C0RR0SIVE,  I thought my issue was fixed, but it is not, and this explains why they CANNOT fix it.  I think I am on the edge of the blacked out area for ES19, so they stuck me on ES17 knowing the issues.  Should be just the info I need to get my money back without an ETF!  The salesperson specifically said Gen5 would not slow down during periods of heavy use, I hope there is a recording of the call.  Sure makes more sense than "bad weather in Montana".

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Uhh, yeah, @alv7722 unless they flat out lied, you wont get out ETF-free, as the contract does mention that speeds are not guaranteed at all, ever.

Amanda

Hi jmogey,

Welcome to our community and thank you for reaching out to us. I am sure you must be frustrated by the situation and I will try my best to help you. After checking our beam coverage, I can confirm you are not covered by Echostar 19.  However, Echostar 17 is capable of doing the same work as 19. 

I've run initial diagnostics on your system and cannot find a problem myself, but I can get with our engineering team to see if there is some sort of plan configuration issue or if it is a known problem.

~Amanda

Amanda, Thanks.

Tech support is supposed to be calling me. Today I seem to be having very good speeds (15 Mbps and more). A similar thing happened two weeks ago for a few days and then the speeds went way down, below 1Mbps to as low as 300Kbps. I hope that things will improve so that I will have good service.

It would be good if Hughesnet acknowledges the problem and provides information on the status of its resolution, such as "we've moved x thousand accounts to E-19.

iversondl
New Poster

Upgraded to Gen5 on Oct 19th, gone for weekend & started using Monday, the 23rd. Super unsatisfied at my choice to upgrade.  Most of the time since then has been below 3k download, a few times in the 30 to 45 (very surprising but then the next test will be 3.5k. Numerous phone calls, at least 10 case #s & still no fix and it has now been one month since upgrade.  Supposed to be in the hands of engineers now, whatever that is, after level 4, whatever that is, support.  Gen 4 wasn't this bad, we usually got around 6-8k download as oppossed to the 15 we were suppossed to be up to.  Now less and irradically inconsistent speeds.

Is the business package any different?

maratsade

@iversondl, you may want to create a new thread, so your problem will be more visible -- otherwise it might get lost in this thread.