cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

very poor download speeds

Professor

Re: very poor download speeds

I agree, but what if they don't see an issue on their end?  The engineers may be trying to figure all of this out and it may take time.

"What I personally would like to see is an official message from Hughesnet that we are experiencing issues, they are working on it, and some kind of roll-out of what is happening.  Maybe that was posted someplace and I just don't see it?  I only see spattering of threads about slow speeds from customers and Hughes saying they are sending it to engineers.  I don't see acknowledging that there is an issue on their part."

Sophomore

If there's no problem on their end it can only be equipment on my end. So send someone out and replace my modem/and or reeciver. That's a plan that may work. In chess it's said that no plan is worse than a bad plan.

"The engineers may be trying to figure all of this out and it may take time."  Just saying that they are working on it helps, it says "you are being heard" and that soothes hard and frustrated feelings.

Your reply is apprciated/

Sophomore

And regarding unrealistic expectations: it is important to separate issues of service way outside what is reasonable and unreasonable expectations of reasonable service.

My download speed in the neighborhood of 500K is unreasonable.

Professor

Yes, good points.  Forgive me if you've gone through all of this already, and if this is a stupid question, but have you tested your equipment to rule it out as the cause of the problem? (Of course, without the necessary speed, this may not be something you can easily do -- do you always have this low speed, or only at times?)

I think it may be a good idea for this community to have a section where the reps can keep us updated -- they do update us, but the updates get lost in the threads. Perhaps there could be a section where only they can post.

@jmogey wrote:

If there's no problem on their end it can only be equipment on my end. So send someone out and replace my modem/and or reeciver. That's a plan that may work. In chess it's said that no plan is worse than a bad plan.

"The engineers may be trying to figure all of this out and it may take time."  Just saying that they are working on it helps, it says "you are being heard" and that soothes hard and frustrated feelings.

Your reply is apprciated/

Sophomore

"Yes, good points.  Forgive me if you've gone through all of this already, and if this is a stupid question, but have you tested your equipment to rule it out as the cause of the problem?" -maratsade

I assume that you mean the dish, receiver,modem, and cables by equipment on this end (I've done tests of direct cable to the modem with same low performance). Two and a half months ago a technician came out and said everything here checked out ok and everytime (and that's been often) phone techs tell me that my modem checks out. But checks out and checks out at full speed may be two different things and I wonder if simply replacing the receiver and modem might make sense.

I like your idea of a section where we can be updated on problems and progress.

Sophomore

I forgot to add that these low speeds are independent of timeof day. Every so often I will have good speeds (at least 10Mbs) for an hour or two), that too being independent of time of day.

New Poster

Re: very poor and inconsistent download speeds

Upgraded to Gen5 on Oct 19th, gone for weekend & started using Monday, the 23rd. Super unsatisfied at my choice to upgrade.  Most of the time since then has been below 3k download, a few times in the 30 to 45 (very surprising but then the next test will be 3.5k. Numerous phone calls, at least 10 case #s & still no fix and it has now been one month since upgrade.  Supposed to be in the hands of engineers now, whatever that is, after level 4, whatever that is, support.  Gen 4 wasn't this bad, we usually got around 6-8k download as oppossed to the 15 we were suppossed to be up to.  Now less and irradically inconsistent speeds.

Is the business package any different?

Professor

Yep, I'd say there's a problem. I hope that something can be done for you, and soon. 

@jmogey wrote:

I forgot to add that these low speeds are independent of timeof day. Every so often I will have good speeds (at least 10Mbs) for an hour or two), that too being independent of time of day.

Professor

Re: very poor and inconsistent download speeds

@iversondl, you may want to create a new thread, so your problem will be more visible -- otherwise it might get lost in this thread. 

Sophomore

maratsade, do the moderators generally follow these posts or is it necessary to contact them privately?