Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

very slow Gen 5 even after tier 4 inspection visit, modem replacement

Highlighted
Freshman

very slow Gen 5 even after tier 4 inspection visit, modem replacement

Wifi is turned off on HT2000 modem, one ethernet cable connected to one laptop

I was not getting advertised speed on Gen4, and with Gen5 for several months it is still more
common for me to see download speeds <1Mbps than to see >10Mbps. Here are the last 5 results

212 kbps  according to testmy.net  June 21 23:10
559 kbps                                        June 22 15:00
16.2 Mbps                                      June 23  10:20
750 kbps                                        June 24  19:00
11.8 Mbps (it's raining)                    June 24  19:30

These are not all 25 MB downloads, that takes too long at 300 kbps.  If you see from the slow progress bar
that a 25 MB test is wasting your time, click [reset test size] and testmy.net will start over with something more appropriate for
Hughes speed, like a 256 KB download.

I have complained at tier 1 so often I feel like I should add my time trying to maintain this system to the monthly bill.
On June 13 at 16:00 I got 325 kbps, and 330 kbps, and at 23:47 I got 302 kbps and decided to complain again.

During the call to tier 1 June 14 12:40 I got 917 kbps, then IIRC they did a modem reset and I got 7.4M, 4.9M, 8.3M .
That is much faster than I have come to expect but slow enough to justify an escalation, I was promised a phone call within 48 hours.
Nobody called but on June 17 I got a result of 26.3M, maybe my first above advertised speed of 25M.

On June 18 I still got good results, 10 out of 12 tests >10Mbps. I called tier 1 to say maybe it's better and they said  that between my calls they
had made a change at the uplink in Salt Lake City, hopefully they had it fixed.  I could call back with the same ticket # if it wasn't fixed.
It wasn't fixed, by 10 PM Jun 18 I was down to 3Mbps,  353 kbps,  222 kbps.  I called back and got to level 4, where they diagnosed
that I indeed had a longterm problem -- good dish alignment but periods of heavy packet loss, they would send out a technician.

He inspected everything and saw nothing to fix; my signal strength was the highest of ~100 customers he could review. While he was here 7 out of 8 tests returned >20 Mbps.  His diagnosis was that there was nothing wrong with my installation, it is a problem with Hughes uplink. Congestion does not help but no way does congestion account for speeds below 1 Mbps while my signal is so strong, it is something else. But the speed was fine while tech was here. In case there was an intermittent fault in my modem he replaced the modem but we didn't think anything was wrong with the original..

He had not been gone an hour before my speed was down: 560 kbps, 1.3M,  898k, 1.3M. I tried different browsers, different OS on the same computer, and a different computer. There were no big differences -- of the next 23 tests, only 3 exceeded 10Mbps and 9 were slower than 1 Mbps.

I spoke with the tech again and he confirmed that he thought there was nothing he could do with another visit, instead he would urge Hughes to fix the problem at their end.  It is still not fixed.

I filled out the survey Hughes asked me for regarding the tech's visit, I said that the problem was not resolved, and yes I'd like a follow up phone call.  I did not get a phone call, just a suggestion that I post my problems here. Is this tier 5? I see so many people with similar complaints I am afraid this is a way to keep me busy as if there is any hope.  

34 REPLIES 34
Distinguished Professor III

Re: very slow Gen 5 even after tier 4 inspection visit, modem replacement

Though I'm sure the reps will reply and try to help you, do you have the results URL to the tests so that the tests themselves can be looked at?  Sometimes specific aspects of the test results can point to what might be causing the issue.  

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Freshman

no, just the results I copied

Hello Lee,

Thanks for reaching out. I pulled up your account and the remote diagnostics I ran on your system don't show anything out of the ordinary. Your beam, 40, did ring a bell, so I checked around and I see that engineering has already worked to improve that beam. I definitely want to get your feedback over to them. It would help to get current testmy.net test results on your testmy.net account so we can review all your test results and refer to any future tests if needed.

This is what we suggest for running speed tests:

-do the tests while directly connected to the HughesNet modem with a LAN cable (NO third party Router or Wireless devices can be used)

-use the 25MB size download test file (I know you mentioned having difficulty with this, but please always try the 25 MB file first, and note down when/if it fails)

-space each test at least 5 minutes apart

-post your results URL here, it may look something like http://testmy.net/quickstats/C0RR0SIVE

For a more in depth guide on running the tests, please visit: http://customer.kb.hughesnet.com/Pages/7001.aspx

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->

New Poster

Sad to hear there so many people with the same issue. trying to resolve. working on OOp Takecare of myself.

Professor

No system is perfect, and while the great majority of users will have a seamless experience, there will always be a percentage that has problems.  Happens with everything.  Edit: and your perception gets skewed if you read this site, because this site is for technical problems and issues, so that's all you see.  But that's not all there is. 

Junior

I would suggest you not expect much if any improvement, probably ever. It seems that if you happen to be in a problem area or for some reason have very slow speeds often if not all of the time you are pretty much going to always have that. That is my experience anyway and what appears to be those of many others. What the actual problem(s) is I couldn't say but it's clear that Hughes has no real intention of correcting this. The moderators on this site are very helpful but of course can only do so much. I still cannot watch a 30 second video at any quality on any browser or computer or any time of the day and night without buffering. Downloading anything takes just about as long as the particular video is long. There have been exactly 3 times since I started this in March that I have been able to download anything in reasonable time, being 2 Mbps or faster. Almost always it's around 80 kbps/sec. Gen 4 was not great but was better than this. I ignored my gut and went with this on the promises from Hughes, cancelling the Gen 4 I had through Dish. One of my big concerns was dealing directly with Hughes and I was right on that one as well. Cancel? Well if there wasn't a massive early termination fee involved I would. Satelitte leaves much to be desired regardless of provider but having substantially less in reality than is promised and advertised to sell a service is not okay. Yet, here we are. If there are those that are getting these great speeds why can't Hughes provide it everywhere? I have no idea, but they sure need to have a good reason, let us all know what it is, and provide us with compensation accordingly for the lack of fulfillment of the contract. Sure, speeds are "not guaranteed", good loophole, but we all know that's not good enough to sell something that's in many cases worse than the previous product/service on claims Hughes puts out.

Freshman

On 06/26/2018 12:24 PM, HughesNet Community Mailer wrote:
Liz (Moderator) posted a new reply in Tech Support
... want to get your feedback over to them. It would help to get current testmy.net test results on your testmy.net account so we can review all your test results and refer to any future tests if needed.

Time                Size       Speed       User       ConnectID       Provider       TID   
Tue Jun 26 2018 @ 8:07:27 pm    Dallas, TX US    arrow    25 MB    1.17 Mbps 146 kB/s    lee78    618472895511    Hughes Network history    0_Z5BLcng    share history

I guess I don't know how to paste the results here, but there is the first one on my account.  1.2Mbps Jun 26 20:00

> -use the 25MB size download test file (I know you mentioned having difficulty with this, but please >always try the 25 MB file first, and note down when/if it fails)

It doesn't fail, my difficulty is resenting the time I am spending watching that slow progress bar. I guess that it would take about 10 seconds to get to 100% if I were actually getting 25Mbps. But at 1.2 Mbps that single test took over 3 minutes of staring, while keeping other applications off net.

Plus it took me an hour to get one more account set up and organized mostly due to my ignorance and having to learn about things like web push notifications and terms of service. This is all work I did not intend to do as part of the price of Hughesnet.

I already spent too much time reading sad stories from similarly dissatisfied customers here. There are so many pages and threads I don't want to search. Can you point to a thread with my problem and a successful resolution?

Here's a second test:

https://testmy.net/db/~vKEDzc0l

Time arrow down                Size       Speed       User    ConnectID    TID
Tue Jun 26 2018 @ 8:40:09 pm    Dallas, TX US    arrow    25 MB    225 kbps 28 kB/s lee78    Dallas, TX 618472895511    ~vKEDzc0l

At 225 kbps that test took 15 minutes and 40 seconds! Do you still want me to download 25 MB ? Does your marketing department know how many minutes you are recommending we spend staring & fuming at slow performance?

>For a more in depth guide on running the tests, please visit: http://customer.kb.hughesnet.com/Pages/7001.aspx
NO THANK YOU
Distinguished Professor III

@Lee Bonnifield

This is the link they need...  

https://testmy.net/quickstats/lee78

This link goes right to your test results page so that they can see all of your tests in one location.  

I'm sure Liz will answer your question as to whether you should continue to use the 25MB test size.  I would venture to say yes.  If at all possible, it would be good for you to get a few tests in at various times of the day, but this isn't always possible, of course, and they know that.  The two tests you ran are right in the middle of the most active time of the evening, so the speeds may pick up at other times.  I don't say this to minimize the speed issue, but only that knowing the difference between tests taken around that time and tests taken earlier or later might help to point to whether the problem is due to congestion from so many people being on or some other reason.  

Either way, I'm sure Liz will give some input.  

P.S.  You can also set testmy.net to automatically run tests for you, so that way you don't have to manually run each and every one.  

You would want to be signed in and go to...  https://testmy.net/auto

If you set it exactly like the following and click "Start Automatic Test" it would run five 25MB download tests, with each spread out ten minutes from the others.  That way, you could walk away and it would automatically run them.  Make sure to select download and set the minimum download size to 25MB and check the nfw box. 

Capture.JPG

You don't have to do this.  I only show it as an option which might make things a little easier for you with regard to the time it takes to do the tests.  

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Senior Instructor

Not to be pedantic, but the graph of how the speed varies over the course of the test is also very helpful.

So the TID column is just as important as much as the numbers themselves.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.