cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PaulDavid
Freshman

very slow Internet connection

long-time customer, first community post

I have really slow Internet download speeds. Have had slow speed issues for years. Go to a page (eg., Yahoo Finance, Google News, Fox News, "place URL here") and it is painful to wait for the pages to load and the images to render...always slow, worse in the middle of the day

On the Admin post "Think you have slow speeds?" I understand the instrructions to direct connect by LAN cable to the modem and to disable the Wi-Fi radios...makes sense to eliminate things that could be slowing down the connection. What I have a problem with is being told I "have" to use a specific teat URL with specific file sizes. Period. Other sites and their tests are not accepted. This tells me the results are baked in. Controlled results so to speak.

For example...besides other pages I try to open on the Internet being slow (as mentioned above...sometimes painfully so) I also went to 6-7 different Internet speed test sites. Multiple times. Only once did one site tell me I was doing 35Mbps (which is obviously whacked). All other test ranged for 1.5Mbps to 3.5-4Mbps. All of them.

So I have direct evdience that URLs I do try to load are slow...and I also have multiple Internet speed test sites showing very slow speed (nowhere near the 25Mbps speed I am paying $90+ per month for)

Then I went to testmy.net and ran the download test using whatever they have as default parameters (I think 50MB file is one of them)...just to see what the result would be. It can back at 33Mbps download...in a pig's eye.

It is one thing to expect folks to use a single controlled test site with specific parameters set a certain way and optimized to derive a desired result. This is a controlled configuration with an expected outcome. But people using this HugheswNet service don't get all of their content from this one site with their optimized implementation. I don't care if testmy.net says 33Mbps download because I know this is a false number...all I have to do is go to any number of URLs and try to load their pages...and wait...and wait...and wait for them to finally render

I called HughesNet Tech Support...and while I was getting 1.5Mbps to 3.5-4Mbps speeds at different sites they claimed I was testing at over 30Mbps+...I sure don't see that whan I surf the Internet...during the day I can't even load some pages as they just time out...and streaming...forget it

That is what I deal with...everyday. No solution...I would be happy with a live-world 15Mbps

thanx

8 REPLIES 8
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

If you would like speeds addressed in this community, you will need to follow the required troubleshooting procedure (https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/Think-you-have-slow-speeds/td-p/110034).

If you have read my post you will see it is this very Admin post and the referenced test configuration I was discussing as flawed. When normal web pages take long periods of time to render...when multiple other test sites show my download speed as between 1.5Mbps and 3.5-4Mbps...but testmy.net is saying I am running 30Mbps+...this tells me your control test site is not correct

So if mytest.net says all is well then what, there is no problem? Even if there is empirical evidence that says differently?

And as I see many, many posts in this Community where folks are having speed issues with this service, I don't feel I am offbase in my statements.

thanx

maratsade

I did read your post. You have speed issues and you don't like testmy.net. In this community, testmy.net is required to have speed issues addressed, and there's a specific protocol on how to run those tests. The people at HughesNet who work on these issues require these tests, so whether you think they are useful or not is not really relevant, though I'm sure the reps on this site will pass your comment on.  The speed test through testmy.net is only one of the troubleshooting steps, but if you want speed issues adressed here, it's the first step and it's required.  

Seems to me you're interpreting the empirical evidence without knowing the rationale behind it.

Not all connections are the same. Not all paths to different sites are the same. More so, not all sites contain the minimal parts to support efficient transfer over a high latency satellite internet connection. TestMy has proven to be the most consistent and efficient in that regard, and is used in attempt to remove all possible variables.

Thinking it's hard-wired is an incorrect assumption. You can either follow the protocol if want your problem addressed... or not and just deal with it.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

I accepted your pots as the solution as I feel I am a fish swimming upriver and there is a dam in the way...not gooing to get to where I want to be...

Maratsat is correct in that I have slow Internet. But I do not dislike testmy.net. I have no opinion one way or the other

And I agree with you on all connections are not created equal...and that not all paths are the same...but wrt QoS of the product the lowest denominator should be factored in the calculus, and it not all be based on a signle optimized site

so...I give you my reply below...I have nothing further to add to this thread...if Hughesnet Tech Support is serious about addressing customer speed issues (when surfing to real web sites), I hope to hear from them:

I wen to the testmy.net site and ran the test as described:

no wifi...direct LAN cable connection

I got 345Mbps once...seems kinda high to me

I got over 3000Mbps another time (even they said this was an error as they are limited to 2000Mbps max)...don't I wish

And I got 26-37MBps over multiple tests (five I think)

so according to this I have no issues...my QoS is above the 25Mbps HughesNet advertises...therefore I have no problems...I am complaining for no reason

Horse pucky. These are results from one site that is optimized to test Satellite data uplinks/downlinks and associated latency...and is the ONLY test site allowed to be used (I wonder why)...and these results have no basis in reality wrt the speeds seen at real-world web sites on the Internet that HughesNet customers go to daily.

So, if all I ever wanted to do was download 25MB test files all day long my problems are all solved...or actually, based on the above, I never had a problem...I would just surf to testmy.net only and have a great time

But what about all of the other URLs I want to go to? The ones that take soooo long to load...the ones I can watch images render a

line at a time on...the ones that many times actually time out and don't load at all? What about them?

This is like the HughesNet service being a new Vette I bought...we go to specific track to test drive the car...testmycar.net...and wow, it gets 200mph just as advertised...but wait, when I drive the car on the interstate highway, or I take it to different test track, the most it will do is 45mph...what happened to the 200mph I bought? Where is my QoS everywhere other than on that one track? I don't just want to drive making left-hand turns on that one track from now on...I want to go to other places and see other things...with the QoS I am paying for

I rest my case. I don't expect 25Mbps 24/7. But I sure expect (and pay for) way better than the crap I am getting now...if I wanted Internet this slow (real Internet, not just going to a single specific and mandated test site), I would just have reverted to carrier pigeons.

thanx

maratsade

Once again, to address speed issues here you will need to follow the protocol.  The HughesNet corporate reps on this site can help you, but you have to take the first step. 

GabeU

@PaulDavid 

Your biggest problem here is continually making assumptions.  

If you want help with your issue, stop getting in your own way and instead follow the troubleshooting steps.  However, no one's going to twist your arm to do so.  Whether or not you get help is ultimately up to you.

Pederwa
New Poster

I have had the EXACT same experience.  Can't wait to lfind something better.