Hughesnet Community

very slowwww internet - ping over 700 consistently - I have restarted modem/router which I purchased from Hughesnet - very unhappy :(

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
zermangi

very slowwww internet - ping over 700 consistently - I have restarted modem/router which I purchased from Hughesnet - very unhappy :(

internet speed is terrible --- ping rate incredibly high.  I even paid extra to buy the router from Hughesnet -- terrible experience

14 REPLIES 14
donsjgm
Junior

Hi zermangi,

Since the signal from your computer has to reach the satellite in space a ping latency of 700 is about average. It's something one has to deal with using satellite internet.

Don  🙂
Pawnee County

High ping is inherent to any satellite system due to the four 22,300 mile trips they must make in order to complete a cycle.  What is your upload and download speed got to testmynet and run some speed test from there.  Hughes net does not sell routers that would have been your local dealer.  What kind of router do you have and run the speed test with the router out of the system connected directly to the modem then with it in the system.  This will isolate whether the problem is modem to dish or router to modem.
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Hughes net does not sell routers that would have been your local dealer

Hughes now offers a router and install and support:

Per Amanda:

Yes, all tiers of support know how to troubleshoot these routers. The options for port forwarding/triggering/etc are available in the router but as we know do not make a different when done over the HN service, so we don't troubleshoot what is considered "advanced" options - just basic connectivity. Some sales channels can sell it from the beginning of service - if it is purchase at the time of order, the installer will set it up for the customer too! The model is DIR-619L-ES

zermangi

the router is a dlink 52A4 - which I purchased from the guys Hughesnet sent out to install the satellite because they said it would be supported.  upload and download speed is a little lower than I expected 18.34/.94
zermangi

Thanks Amanda - The model I have is DIR-619L-ES
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Um yea, quite good actually. The service is not designed to be very fast on the upload side as most people care more about download speed. Plus helps prevent people from operating a server. I personally upload very little, slow when I do but it works.

PS: There is actually two up and two down communication trips going on for a full two way exchange over satellite. That equals about 92 thousand miles total with a overall ping or delay of minimum 500 milliseconds under perfect conditions. Then have to factor in the internet delay.

Mine a bit better than yours but also depends on beam and gateway loading.

Pawnee County

I just sent a 8.5 MB email uploaded in a matter of seconds.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Dang Gary, that's good for upload! This is about average for me.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Depending on the time of day, my upload speed is anywhere from .9 to 1.5.  My download speed variance is even greater, again depending on the time of day, but a download speed of 18.34 is very good, and decently higher than the average of all Hughesnet Gen4 users.
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Same model here, and if your device is within decent range, the effect on your speed by the router should be practically nil.
Amanda

Hi Zermangi,

Welcome to the community! I should be able to locate you by your e-mail address on your account. Just as a sidenote, 700 ping is going to be pretty normal for satellite internet, but I can still look at your system to make sure nothing is wrong.  However, I believe that if you are concerned about ping then you may be trying to do certain activities that may not be supported on satellite internet. What websites or devices on your network do you notice are particularly slow?

Thanks
Amanda 
Amanda

Hi Zermangi

We recent had our diagnostics tool updated and I was able to get your read out. Everything looks great. Did you see my post above? Knowing some of that info would be pretty helpful to resolving your concerns. I look forward to your reply.

Thanks
Amanda
Amanda

Hello,It's been a while since we last heard from you, so we will close this thread. If you still have concerns, please start a new thread and include a detailed explanation so we can more effectively help you.
Thanks,
Amanda