very unsatified

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sockumbeau
New Poster

very unsatified

I have had this service for a month and have terrible internet. Its only me in the house and I use very little internet. No gaming at all. I like to watch netflix a couple time a week and can't even do that. I can't watch a short video on you tube or face book. IT ALWAYS BUFFERS and than just stops playing!! I have called several times and they always tell me that everthing looks good. So why is it not working for me? I can't put up with this for 2 full years. It will get worse I found out from one of the techs when my husband gets here. He works from home and will have to use VPN. They said it will slo down our internet even more!! I was not told that from the sales peson so now I feel lied to.

What do I do??

5 REPLIES 5
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

A VPN doesn't work well with Hughesnet, as you can see by going here:  https://www.hughesnet.com/frequently-asked-questions.  

Can I run a VPN over HughesNet?

We do not recommend using a VPN with your HughesNet service. Your home is approximately 22,000 miles away from the HughesNet satellite in space. In order to minimize the delay that comes from having data travel back and forth over such a vast distance, your modem uses advanced acceleration techniques. When you use a VPN connection that encrypts data, it interferes with your modem’s ability to compensate for the delay. Depending on the type of VPN used, you may see overall speed reduced by 50–70%. You can restore your connection to full speed by simply disabling your VPN client when your session is over. Note: HughesNet Technical Support does not provide help with configuring or troubleshooting problems associated with VPN clients.

If the tech support agents tell  you everything looks good from their side, that means the connection between the satellite and your modem is working as it should, and the problem may be on your end of the connection.It is likely the Hughesnet mods on this site will ask you to run some tests on your end so they can diagnose what may be the problem.  Someone on this site will help you figure this out.

*I am not a Hughesnet employee or representative. This is a customer-to-customer tech support community, and I am a customer.

I know that VPN will not work BUT I WAS NOT ASKED ABOUT IT NOR WAS I TOLD ABOUT IT NOT GOING TO WORK! So now we have a problem beacuse my husband works from home and has to be on VPN. He will be moved down here next month. That should have been disclosed when i called and asked about the internet service.

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Absolutely they should have. The moderators here may be able to listen to your sales call, and you may have some recourse. Right now the best you can do is wait for them to address your concerns.

*I am not a Hughesnet employee or representative. This is a customer-to-customer tech support community, and I am a customer.

Hi sockumbeau,

Welcome to our community and thank you for reaching out to us here. I understand the situation must be frustrating and I will do my best to get this resolved for you. As maratsade said, we will need to request a sales call review. I will follow up with you back here with the results when I receive them. Your patience is appreciated.

Thank you,

Amanda

Hi sokumbeau,

I've received the results of the sales call review. These were the findings:

• The customer stated that the service would be needed for two people, but did not state that they planned on using the service for a VPN or to work from home.  HughesNet’s capabilities with a VPN are never discussed on the call.

Our policy is that if a customer states or responds that the service will be used in whole or part to work for home, the sales agent MUST ask if the potential customer will be using a VPN or remote system. If the answer is yes, the agent will explain in detail what is cited in our FAQ.