voice quality using skype or FB messenger chat

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
snoopy2
Freshman

voice quality using skype or FB messenger chat

When I make a chat call on FB messenger or Skype, the other party can not understand what I am saying most of the time. I can always hear them real good. Is here any solution besides getting rid of hughes net and going back to DSL?

5 REPLIES 5
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@snoopy2

How is your upload speed?  You can check at testmy.net.  Make sure to use the manual upload test and the 4MB test size.  

The problem is mostly likely due to the high latency, but if your upload speed isn't up to par it could be contributing to the problem, as well.    

I just did a 4MB manual  test and it showed 1.4 Mbps and a combined upload test showed 307kbps. Now I am totally confused.  On a combiined test is ususally show around the 300 kbps area.

Hi snoopy2, 

Thanks for posting. I pulled up your account and as of right now your diagnostics look fine. Is the Skype application updated? On what device are you trying to Skype or FB call? Does this happen even when directly connected to the HughesNet modem?

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

I am using a faily new PC directly connected to the modeum.  It was better last night, if I had nothing else open. I had to close my chrome brower in order for the other person to be able to understand me.  we are both using the latest version of Skype.

thanks fsor your help.

Thanks for the update snoopy2, glad you figured it out. When different devices and applications are vying for the same connection, it can cause a slow down, so shutting the others down can help.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!