cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what are the authentication settings for sending emails

Highlighted
New Poster

what are the authentication settings for sending emails

I have a security system that sends me an email when an alert is generated.  I know the server is smtp.hughes.net and the port is 587.  However, I need to set the authentication method and associated data for hughesnet mail.  What are these settings?
6 REPLIES 6
Assistant Professor

Re: what are the authentication settings for sending emails

Admit not sure what you are asking. Do you mean SSL/TLS?

New Poster

Authentication methods: Option 1. No authentication.  Email can be transmitted to the host without authentication required by the host. I doubt this is the case for hughes.net

Option 2. The email host requires SMTP authentication‘.  Therefore I must provide a
  • Login ID: My username.  For username do I insert my hughesnet account username JohnDoe or my email address JohnDoe@hughes.net?
  • Password: My email password.  In this case my email password and account password are the same

Option 3. The email host requires‘POP3 before SMTP authentication‘:  Therefore I need to know the hughesnet email's

• POP3 Server IP Address (usually a name) and 
  • Port No.: Port 110 is usually the default and will likely be ok but what is it for Hughes.net email?
  • Login ID: username.
  • Password: email password.

So I need to know if hughes.net email requires me to send email with SMTP data for authentication.  In which case I need to know if I use my email address or my Hughesnet account login.

If it is POP3 before SMTP, I also need the POP3 server IP Address (name) and the port
Associate Professor
New Poster

That should do it.  Thanks

Hi lulu8772,

Happy to hear you got this fixed up! Please let us know if you have anymore questions and we'll help you out.

Thanks,
Amanda
Associate Professor