what is using my bytes?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kirk Merley
Sophomore

what is using my bytes?

I have multiple devices attached to my network.  I am using an external router, and the router in the HT2000 modem is disabled.  Is there any way that I can track which devices are draining off my bytes?  thanks in advance for the help!

17 REPLIES 17
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Other than using a router that has the capability of tracking individual device data usage, you're options are fairly limited.  If something is actively using data all the time, you can try disconnecting all of your devices from WiFi, then adding them back in, one at a time, to determine which one(s) is the culprit.  

The reps might be able to tell you which device is using the most data, but they can only do so when the WiFi in the HT2000W is being used instead of a third party router.  The 3rd party router only shows as one connected device on their end, now matter how many devices you have utilizing it.

Wireshark is supposedly able to monitor the usage of each device on a network while in "promiscuous mode", whatever that is, but I have no clue as to how to set it up, as I've never used it before.  It might be worth looking into though.  

I would make sure to lock down each device as best you can so that they only use data when you are actively using them.  A lot of devices will automatically use data for various things when they're using default settings.  Also, if you have DirecTV and you have their receiver connected to your HughesNet, I'd disconnect it, as that is one device that definitely can use data, and a lot of it, even when you're not watching anything on demand, and even when it's "off".  In addition, if you're using a Windows PC, make sure to turn off Delivery Optimization for the Updates, or at least set it to only apply to things on your network and not the rest of the internet.  

The following two posts may also have some helpful info...

https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/Understanding-data-usage-data-loss-and-connection-pa...

https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/HughesNet-Data-Management-Tips-n-Tricks-How-To-Elimi...

Lastly, there is a method to determine whether you're actually experiencing a data drain issue, but the chances of that are less than tiny.  Still, just in case, I'll post the method below if you want to try it, as the post that has the instructions is older and the pics no longer work in it.  It's a bit lengthy.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please perform the following test outlined in the graphic below, though follow the full instructions written below the graphic. This is known as a Modem Isolation Test, and it will help to determine whether the issue is with HughesNet or your local network..

photo P2hSeDN.jpg

1: Disable the WiFi in the HT2000W modem.
2: Take a screenshot of the Home page of the System Control Center, along with the clock on your computer screen.
3: Disconnect the LAN cable from the modem, noting the date and time of disconnect.
4: Leave the LAN cable disconnected from the modem for several hours. HughesNet recommends doing this overnight, or during the day while at work. DO NOT unplug the modem from the power. The modem must remain powered.
5: Reconnect the LAN cable to the modem, noting the date and time of reconnect.
6: Take a screenshot of the Home page of the System Control Center, along with the clock on your computer screen.
7: Post your screenshots to the community.

The screenshots should look similar to the following, being dependent on the operating system, with the system clock included (you can move the System Control Center data level window to being near the system clock so that it is included more easily).

photo mfQBdeH.jpg

Do not unplug, power cycle or internally reboot the modem after the test has been run, as the reps need to be able to reconcile your modem data logs with what is shown in the screenshots. Any of those three things will wipe out those logs, rendering the test results moot. Only after the reps have responded with their findings should any of those three things be done.

Please be aware that, if you downloaded any large files just prior to this test, some usage may appear to have occurred due to the slight delay (lag) in the modem reporting the data usage to the server, but it should be rather negligible.

If you don't know how to disable the WiFi in the HT2000W, please see "How do I manage my built-in WiFi modem?" in this PDF. Please be sure to click "Save Settings" after unchecking "SSID Enable" for each of the four tabs individually (2.4Ghz, then 2.4Ghz Guest, then 5Ghz, then 5Ghz Guest).

Kirk Merley
Sophomore

I recently had to upgrade to the 20gb package due to the loss of the Sam Knows survey.  I burned thru the allowance, went into the penalty box, and purchased a token.  My Account says I got it and paid for it, but my speed is still 400kb although 20mb of the token has already been burned.  How long do you have to wait for the speed to ratchet back up?

maratsade

Weird. Should be right away.

Nope!  been over two hours and the speed is 1mb or less.  system has chewed up .5 mb of the 5mb I paid $15 for, but at  dial up speed.  Just gotta love Hughes!

maratsade

I hope @Liz  or @Remy can look into this for you today and figure out what's going on. Hopefully it's an easy answer and easily fixed too. I certainly have no clue, but I understand the frustration with technology's shenanigans.  EDIT: the data usage must be something using the data, something connected to the modem. The low speed after the token, that's a mystery. You used to have to "apply" the token, but I don't think that's needed anymore. Still, worth a check. 

Hello Kirk,

Thank you for reaching out to us again. After reviewing your network, it appears we are unable to see any devices connected to the modem. Seeing what devices are connected and how much they are using would help us narrow down which one is draining your data. The most likely cause as to why we can't see it is because you may be still using an external router. The HT2000W modem has a router built-in already. If two routers are running at the same time, it can sometimes cause interference and greatly reduce speeds. If this is your situation, I highly recommend disconnecting the other router. If you are using another router and would like to continue using it, I will need to walk you through disabling the radios and broadcasting for the HT2000W modem/router. Once we figure this out I will be able to better diagnose the issue.  

-Damian  

I do have an external router and do prefer to keep it in place as it is equiped with a booster and external antenna for connection to another building on my property.  This may sound a little absurd, but we are in the middle of nowhere, hence my use of Hughes.  If you can guide me around avoiding a conflict between the modem and my router, I will be grateful.  I recently had to take the SamKnows router out of the network when Hughes stopped participating and my download allowance dropped to zilch... therefore it is no longer an contender for data consumption.

GabeU

@Kirk Merley 

This is a copy/paste from another post, but these are the directions for completely disabling the WiFi in the HT2000W modem....

Sign into the WiFi settings page here, using admin as the password.  Then, on that main page, uncheck both the SSID Enable and SSID Broadcast boxes for the 2.4GHz band, then click Save Settings.  Then do the same for each of the other three, making sure to click Save Settings before moving to the next one (2.4 Guest, then 5, then 5 Guest).  

After all four have both SSID boxes unchecked, go to Advanced Setup >> Wireless (on the left), then uncheck both the "2.4GHz frequency band" and "5GHz frequency band" boxes, then click Save Settings.  Once this is done, you should see the modem's WiFi light go off, as the WiFi will then be completely disabled.

Got it!  Thanks, Gabe!  We'll see how things go and I will post results here.  capnkirk, out.

Liz

Hi all,

Just merged these threads together as it's the same issue: unknown data usage.

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Kirk Merley
Sophomore

We have had a ton of company over the holiday weekend, and everybody was attached to my router, 10-12 users.  But... I was disconnected from Hughes Net, to preserve my meager monthly allowance.  Between about 9 AM and 1PM today I lost the remaining 30% of my allowance and half of the 15GB of tokens I had recently purchased.  Glasswire does not show any burst of usage that supports that massive amount of data usage.  Can anybody explain to me how I can find out what happened???

addendum:  I have the wireless connections in the Hughes modem shut off.  everything has to go thru my router.

GabeU

Do you have any other devices connected via WiFi that could have used the data, including something that could have gotten into a continual download failure loop?  A printer, satellite TV receiver, TV, smart phone, etc.?  

Thanks for coming back to me Gabe.  No, there are no other devices attached that could account for the problem.  I  can monitor the attachments to my network both through my router software, and through Glass Wire.  Glass Wire graphs my historical usage on a timeline, over various time periods.  There were no data bursts during the interval that the massive data loss occurred, nor in the time periods previous to the problem.  As I noted in my addendum,  I have all of the wireless attach points on the Hughes modem disabled so I am monitoring true usage thru Glass Wire.  help!

GabeU

@Kirk Merley wrote:

As I noted in my addendum,  I have all of the wireless attach points on the Hughes modem disabled so I am monitoring true usage thru Glass Wire.  help!

Glasswire only monitors PC data usage.  

OK, that was news.  Is there any way to determine usage at the Hughes modem level?

GabeU

@Kirk Merley wrote:

OK, that was news.  Is there any way to determine usage at the Hughes modem level?

Unfortunately, no.  I've seen examples in the past of both subscribers and reps being able to determine what was using data during a specific time period by seeing what was connected during that time, but that only really works when something is connected only during the time of data usage rather than continually.  However, when using a 3rd party router the only thing that can be seen as connected is the router itself.  The modem can't see anything past the router, including what's connected to it.

Some routers can see data usage by device, though they tend to be the more expensive ones.  Some can also use open source firmware that gives them that ability, but it all depends on the router and the specific firmware.  One of the most popular types of open source firmware is OpenWRT, but I can't speak for how well it works or whether it would work with your particular router, but it might be something worth researching.  If it's an ASUS router, Asuswrt-Merlin would be the one to look into.  HOWEVER, firmware upgrades with routers carry a genuine risk of 'bricking' them, so it's definitely not something you'd want to consider lightly.