cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what is using my bytes?

Liz

Re: what is using my bytes?

Hi all,

Just merged these threads together as it's the same issue: unknown data usage.

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Kirk Merley
Sophomore

Suddenly lost a bunch of data

We have had a ton of company over the holiday weekend, and everybody was attached to my router, 10-12 users.  But... I was disconnected from Hughes Net, to preserve my meager monthly allowance.  Between about 9 AM and 1PM today I lost the remaining 30% of my allowance and half of the 15GB of tokens I had recently purchased.  Glasswire does not show any burst of usage that supports that massive amount of data usage.  Can anybody explain to me how I can find out what happened???

Tags (1)
Kirk Merley
Sophomore

Re: Suddenly lost a bunch of data

addendum:  I have the wireless connections in the Hughes modem shut off.  everything has to go thru my router.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Do you have any other devices connected via WiFi that could have used the data, including something that could have gotten into a continual download failure loop?  A printer, satellite TV receiver, TV, smart phone, etc.?  

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
Kirk Merley
Sophomore

Thanks for coming back to me Gabe.  No, there are no other devices attached that could account for the problem.  I  can monitor the attachments to my network both through my router software, and through Glass Wire.  Glass Wire graphs my historical usage on a timeline, over various time periods.  There were no data bursts during the interval that the massive data loss occurred, nor in the time periods previous to the problem.  As I noted in my addendum,  I have all of the wireless attach points on the Hughes modem disabled so I am monitoring true usage thru Glass Wire.  help!

GabeU

@Kirk Merley wrote:

As I noted in my addendum,  I have all of the wireless attach points on the Hughes modem disabled so I am monitoring true usage thru Glass Wire.  help!

Glasswire only monitors PC data usage.  

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
Kirk Merley
Sophomore

OK, that was news.  Is there any way to determine usage at the Hughes modem level?

GabeU

@Kirk Merley wrote:

OK, that was news.  Is there any way to determine usage at the Hughes modem level?

Unfortunately, no.  I've seen examples in the past of both subscribers and reps being able to determine what was using data during a specific time period by seeing what was connected during that time, but that only really works when something is connected only during the time of data usage rather than continually.  However, when using a 3rd party router the only thing that can be seen as connected is the router itself.  The modem can't see anything past the router, including what's connected to it.

Some routers can see data usage by device, though they tend to be the more expensive ones.  Some can also use open source firmware that gives them that ability, but it all depends on the router and the specific firmware.  One of the most popular types of open source firmware is OpenWRT, but I can't speak for how well it works or whether it would work with your particular router, but it might be something worth researching.  If it's an ASUS router, Asuswrt-Merlin would be the one to look into.  HOWEVER, firmware upgrades with routers carry a genuine risk of 'bricking' them, so it's definitely not something you'd want to consider lightly.