windows 10 update 1610 error message 0x80004005

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
farmerhugh
Junior

windows 10 update 1610 error message 0x80004005

been trynig to download anniversary update.since August.  yesterday i started at3 am and it ran all day until 2 am this morning when it requested a restart.  when restart done received an error message 0x80004005.  been looking a microsoft sites and can find no answers.  i keep downloaded it again and again.  has anyone else had this problem? 
49 REPLIES 49
Howard Vaux

Method 1:

Try to run the Windows update troubleshooter and see if it fix the issue:

* Press Windows Key then type ‘troubleshoot’ and hit Enter

* Select “View all” on the left panel and run “Windows update” troubleshooter from the list

* Click Advanced, ensure to check Apply repairs automatically and also select Run as administrator

* Click Next and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the troubleshooting.

Once done, check if it allows you install Windows Updates without any errors. 

Method 2:

Step :1

a. Press Windows Key + X.
b. Click on ‘Command Prompt (Admin)

Note: Click ‘Yes’ if it prompts for UAC(User Account Control).
c. Type following commands into the command prompt one after the other 

net stop wuauserv

net stop bits

net stop cryptsvc 

Keep Command Prompt window opened.

Step :2

Rename Windows Update folders 

At the command prompt, type the following commands, and then press Enter after each command:

ren %systemroot%\System32\Catroot2 Catroot2.old
ren %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old

Then type the following, commands and then press ENTER after each command:

net start wuauserv

net start bits

net start cryptsvc

Close the Command Prompt window and check if you can install the updates.

Howard Vaux

Corrupted update folders most likely.
Amanda

Hey farmerhugh,

I looked up that error and see the same resolution steps that Howard refers to. The user posted back that it worked for them, so hopefully it does for you too.

Amanda
farmerhugh
Junior

thanks  i ll try it
farmerhugh
Junior

Tried method 1 and it did repair, restarted computer abd it downladed but when done it came back and said it could not finish and backed everthing out.  did this 2 more times with the same result.  soo frustrated.  Anyone hqve any other things I might try.  Thanks
Old Labs

The Windows 10 Update 1610 in the title has me a bit puzzled since as I recall 1607 is the latest... but you might want to try the fixit tool mentioned (and linked to) in the following link:

http://www.scmagazine.com/microsoft-fix-it-script-addresses-windows-10-anniversary-installation-issu... 
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

hwvaux
New Poster

The fix-it's have always worked for me.....good suggestion
farmerhugh
Junior

i had to sound stupid but the way I an reading the above is that I will have to wait for a "fix".  or is this fix it something i can get.  at least reading the above articles I'm not alone.  really appreciate you all feeding me the info.  I don't think Microsoft has ever heard of metered internet.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor
farmerhugh
Junior

farmerhugh
Junior

this is getting worse
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

The good thing is... The error is common.

The bad thing is... The error is common, so common and widely used for various failures to install software on Win8 and Win10...

How much free space do you have on your C: drive?  When updating to the anniversary update, the system requires a minimum of about 30GB of free space as it will create a windows.old folder to place the previous OS build into.

Try to disable WebAccel or TurboPage, as they can (shouldn't, but can) mess with the update download.

Have you tried to manually update to the anniversary build with the media creation tool found here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12387/windows-10-update-history?ocid=update_setting_client

When going this route, you can create either an ISO, or tell it to update just that machine...  I suggest skipping the ISO if you aren't familiar with how to use it.

Try all steps and methods listed here, if it still fails afterwards, I suggest doing a fresh install of the OS... https://www.xtremerain.com/how-to-fix-error-0x80010108/

Also note, some HP computers (not sure that you have one) have drivers that are not compatible with the anniversary update, and will cause all sorts of headaches... Yay for manufactures not keeping things going and M$ breaking things in the process?
Amanda

Hi 
Sorry to hear you are still having this issue. Researching more, a lot of people are recommending installing from external media or ISO. 

There is currently someone who's parents are having the same issue as of 2 days ago. https://www.sysnative.com/forums/windows-update/21487-windows-10-au-1607-update-fails-dism-error-0x8...

I'll research a bit more. Our Home Tech Support group in New York might actually be able to help, so if that is something you'd be interested in I'd be happy to get you a free session with them. 
In the meantime, I've added a bit of token data to your bucket to help out.  If I can figure out more things for you to try, I'll let you know!

Thanks
Amanda
Amanda

So before anything lets try some easy stuff we can get out of the way first..

• What Anti-Virus are you using? Can you run a scan and see if anything comes up?
  • Once you're sure your computer is clean, can you disable your Anti-Virus and try to install the updates again and see if they work?
  • Ensure that your version of Windows 10 is activated - on the Update & Security page, just click on the Activation menu option and make sure it says your system is Activated.
  • Clear your updates cache - I can give you instructions on how to do this if you are comfortable in the command prompt (we can have home tech do that if you aren't up to it)
  • Run a file check scan - Again, only if you feel you can do this from command prompt. This one is a relatively easy step, so I think you can do it with our help. Let me know.
  • Last thing is the Fix-It tool from Microsoft that was linked above. 
Looking forward to see if any of this stuff worked 🙂
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

At the risk of sounding a little ridiculous, make sure that your time and date are correct on your computer.  An incorrect time, even if it's off by a few minutes, can wreak havoc on updates. 

If you aren't able to update it with the direct link update provided by CORROSIVE, you may end up just having to do a clean install of 10.  If you updated to Windows 10 during the free update offer, your system has a Windows 10 digital entitlement, so all you would have to do is a clean install of Windows 10 and it would activate due to that entitlement.  If you have to do that, make sure you save all of the stuff that you need to so you don't have to download it all again afterward, plus save the things you would lose completely. 

Good luck.    

Edit - I hadn't refreshed for a little bit, so I didn't see Amanda's subsequent additions to the thread after CORROSIVE's.  Check them out. 

farmerhugh
Junior

thanks Amanda for the tokens. As usual you and the great helpers go out of your way to help.  i'll be working on all of these suggestions and get back to you.
farmerhugh
Junior

sorry meant 1607.  did try fix it = no luck.  plenty of storage space too.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Wish I had more ideas but I didn't upgrade to 10, sticking with 8.1. About all I can say is try all the solutions posted online, there are many and seems you're not alone.

Here is search I plugged in: https://www.google.com/search?sourceid=chrome-psyapi2&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8&q=window...

Maybe try doing a clean boot as described here then updating: http://www.tenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/59129-windows-couldnt-finish-installing-updates-...
Amanda

Hi farmerhugh

Did you get to try any of the stuff I mentioned in my post lower down the page?

Amanda