windows update 1607

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
farmerhugh
Junior

windows update 1607

I"ve downloaded this twice  lots of data used when it restarts I get an error message could not complete.  Is anyone else having problems with this/
15 REPLIES 15
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

You may wish to keep an eye on this DSLR Microsoft subforum for developements on your issue.
https://www.dslreports.com/forum/micr...
foxbrook
Sophomore

Yes, I had this happen. Turns out there was a problem with my video card when I looked in device manager. Once I straightened that out it installed OK.

In my case it did not download the update twice. It verified the files it had downloaded the first time and then did the update. 

The update used about 3.5G of data.
Amanda

Hi farmerhugh,

Similar to Gwalk900's suggestion, I'd check out the Microsoft Community to see if anyone has had the same issue or if they have posted known issues. I had some trouble with this update and like Foxbrook, had to update my video card drivers (NVIDIA GeForce 970 GT) and still have slow boot and other issues. Let us know if you figure it out.

Thanks,
Amanda
farmerhugh
Junior

I am still having problems with this.  Could someone explain step by step how to update video card drivers,  im not very smart in the computer dept.  I've gone thru 70% of my nightime data and its still not done.  Youve all helped me so much can you help me again.  I never use 50% of my night data.  I hate win10    it keeps popping up to download my update and security setting,  thanks
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

farmerhugh,

Do you happen to know what graphics card you have?  These issues usually only occur if you are using something other than an integrated Intel GPU, such as an AMD/ATI graphics card, or more commonly, an Nvidia card.
Amanda

Hi farmerhugh,

Going to be totally honest, not sure an easy way on how to figure that out over the community.. But I can say that I reverted back to the previous Windows 10 patch because I have too many issues with this one. I will wait until they sort out the bugs and release a fixed one. 

Like C0rr0sive mentioned, somewhat depends on the video card. You can quickly check by clicking on your Start Button and start typing "device manager" 

Open the device manager and look for "Display Adapters"
Expand it and look at your Display Adapters. Can you tell us what is under there? 

You can right click what is under Display Adapters and select "Update Driver..." and then "Search automatically.." to see if there are available updates for your video card.

Thanks
Amanda
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Farmerhugh,

" I hate win10    it keeps popping up to download my update and security setting,  thanks"

I ran across this Techrepublic article this morning that included some time limit changes to return to your previous OS:

The entire article can be found here:

http://www.techrepublic.com/article/windows-10-anniversary-update-watch-out-for-these-nasty-surprise...

farmerhugh
Junior

Thanks Gwalk,  mine popped up again last night.  I sure wish I hadn't bought this computer last spring.  I ordered a refurbished win 7 out of desperation last week.  it arrived and didn't work. Sent it back.   i hate win 10.  too complicated for this old lady,  and thanks Amanda  going to try what you suggested.
farmerhugh
Junior

Amanda

Interesting! So I've read if you have your connection on Windows 10 set to metered, it sometimes will not download updates.. But first, check out this link from Microsoft

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12373/windows-update-faq

Scroll all the way to the last option that says "What can I do if I'm having problems installing updates?", click it, install and run the Windows Update Troubleshooter. Let me know if that fixes it.

If not, let me know exactly what happens when you try to update and when you encounter the issue.

Thanks,
Amanda
farmerhugh
Junior

Thanks Amanda--I take the computer off metered when I know an update is there,  I took my computer to my daughters (she lives in the city) and left it on to download.  We'll see how that goes.  Hopefully that will work. She said hers took a while to complete,
It's A Trap!

Don't listen to these nut jobs they have no idea what they're talking about... It has nothing to do with your "video card". I've been using computers for nearly a decade and I've never had an issue updating because of a bad video card. In my situation it took a long time to fully download this update. And to be honest, my account is locked into smart browsing until next month. So I decided to download this update during the bonus bytes period and guess what? It worked flawlessly. It only took like 45 minutes to fully finish. So it's completely hughesnet fault for still having data caps in 2016.
It's not 2001 anymore hughesnet.
foxbrook
Sophomore

Justin, I've been using computers for 40 years. Learned by programming assembly language on a PDP-8. You probably don't even know what that is. 

If you go into windows device manager and there is a yellow check mark next to the display adapter category, the update will fail. In case you don't know, the yellow check mark means that Windows has detected an error with the device. If you right click on the device and open the properties window it will tell you the error code. In my case it was error code 43. In some cases an error code 43 indicates a hardware failure, in other cases the error can be cleared by uninstalling and reinstalling the driver for the video card. I was able to clear the check mark by doing the latter and once I cleared that check mark the update installed without a hitch.

Will this be the case for everyone who can't install the update, no, absolutely not, but it was definitely the case on my machine.
farmerhugh
Junior

Justin--I have been with Hughes Net  for several years now,  I had to "learn " to use satelite internet,  We live in a very rural area so our choices are limited at best,  No its not cable as in the cities.  Thanks to the community and the official reps I have learned a lot including how to live with it.  My data lasts all month 99% of the time and that 1% I usually know what caused it.  They have been instrumental in teaching me tips and how to correct problems that I have incurred,  No one knows it all....but its nice to have several people to input their help so you have options to try.  Thanks to the Community, the Reps, and the Champions!!!!
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Don't listen to these nut jobs they have no idea what they're talking about...

It's A Trap!,

First, if you want to be rude like that, go somewhere else.  There's no reason for it. 

Secondly, just because you've been using computers for nearly a decade doesn't mean you know everything.  Updating a computer is a very precise process, and there are a LOT of things that can cause it to fail, INCLUDING A VIDEO CARD DRIVER.  Your computer and your experiences are just that, yours.  They are not indicative of every situation. 

The people you called "nut jobs" and claimed "have no idea what they're talking about..." have a LOT more knowledge about computers, satellite internet and Hughesnet than someone who has "been using computers for nearly a decade" and have helped a number of people on here due to that knowledge.  Have a little more respect for them.