Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lm8542
Sophomore

wow

Hop 1: 192.168.42.1 - 1 | 465 | 463 | 0 | 0 | 1 | 0 |

Hop 2: host97726550.direcpc.com - 0 | 472 | 472 | 554 | 609 | *679* | 617 |

Hop 3: host9772453.direcpc.com - *1* | 469 | 468 | 537 | 617 | *686* | 658 |

The first column to the right of the IP / Host is the percentage of packets (or data) lost when being routed through that specific "hop". In this test we are seeing 1% data loss paired with latency spikes up to 686ms over the course of the first three hops. This can be summarized as general connection instability, and this is almost certain to be what is causing the problems in-game as any packet loss will cause fluctuating latency as well as periodic disconnects from the game or application that you are connecting to.

With that in mind, this would be an issue to bring up to your ISP as they may need to troubleshoot that second "hop" and/or reroute your connection so that it avoids this problematic hop. Keep in mind that you can request to speak with a "level 2 or level 3 technician" when contacting the ISP, as the front-line representatives typically only have access to basic diagnostics and troubleshooting tools. In addition, I encourage forwarding the WinMTR data to whomever you speak with when contacting the ISP, because if they're able to interpret the data, this may enable them to diagnose and resolve the issue more quickly.

Screenshot (625).png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@lm8542 wrote:

The top part of my post was omitted somehow without me being aware of it. Needless to say I have been using Hughesnet since 2011 and have been playing wow (world of warcraft) with the expected latency on both gen 4 and gen 5 after upgrade. The latency was playable and between 400ms-1200ms depending on the time of day. But last year I had to suspend playing this game because I thought it was the game as they released a new update. However, after contacting blizzard tech support and giving them my winMTR results I was told by the tech that it was a hughesnet problem and my first post is part of his reply to my request for help. Screenshot (637).png

Level3 is a known problem.  It's a serious bottleneck.  Basically, anything owned by Qwest has been having trouble with WoW players.  Lucky for me, almost everything goes through a Quest server on my route, so I experience monsterous latency.  So WoW playing is nearly impossible.

The only solution is for HughesNet to route around the problem servers, though after talking with a very high up person, that is a major undertaking.

Qwest won't help unless you are their customer.

Could you post your original post in full?  (You said some of it was cut off)  That might help.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14