Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

xbox one nat = moderate

Highlighted
M_
Sophomore

Re: xbox one nat = moderate

A little off topic but maybe related. I'm seeing odd speeds tonight too. For example, I test using speedtest.net and get 4 mbps download .54 upload. Then I run same test and see 15mbps and 1mbps upload. and then again, 2mbps and .25 mpbs. Kinda weird to see that much difference in a short period of time. Normally wherever it tests at (and its usually 10 or 11 mbps and 1-1.5 mbps upload) it stays there. I'll test again tomorrow but it's strange.
Assistant Professor

Lots of storms at Gateway locations tonight: http://www.weather.gov/Radar

Good read here about satellite internet: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satellite_Internet_access
Honorary Alumnus

Yup, mine just cut out for a few again.
Associate Professor

Well, IPv6 on Hughes seems to be hit and miss...  If you don't have a valid IPv6 address, then you will probably end back up in the whole moderate/double nat mode.

Hi M

Its been a couple of days since we got an update - are you still seeing the same thing as far as poor speeds and moderate NAT?

Thanks
Amanda
M_
Sophomore

Hi Amanda, sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I actually ended up sending the linksys router back. It was dropping connections like crazy and for some reason it wouldn't allow us (me and linksys support) to flash the firmware. So, I have a new router (netgear) and I'll be setting it up probably tomorrow evening. So I'll let you know how that behaves. Hopefully setting up the port triggering will work and it will stay open Smiley Happy if you have any other suggestions for things to try, I'm willing to try it. Oh I'm also going to try running a cable to the xbox. It'll be ugly but I can try it temporarily if nothing else works.

Hi M

Very weird! Well, we'll be around to help. Our engineers actually recommend connecting the Xbox through the router (wired, not wireless) instead of directly into the modem. It's the one time we don't really recommend a direct connection. According to them it can actually improve the connection, but we can try every which way until we figure it out.

Thanks
Amanda

p.s. I've changed this back to In Progress from Solved
M_
Sophomore

Hi Amanda (and all)

I have setup my netgear r6050. I adjusted my mtu down to 1364 as the one article suggested. I added the ports to the port forwarding section. I tried changing NAT from Secured to Open. I tried only using UPnP. I even tried running a cable from the router to the xbox. My NAT is still at Moderate. I'm open for suggestions. Smiley Sad
M_
Sophomore

Buehler? Smiley Happy

Hi M

Did you try this at all with the MTU set to 1500? 

Have you ever been able to join a game/chat with your friends? If it recently broke we need to find out why, but if it possibly has never worked, it could be latency. 

Ive connected to party chat with moderate before (strict is horribly frustrating) so I know its possible.. Do you have a Windows 10 PC in the house? I wonder if you can connect to party chat using the Xbox Streaming app. The multiplayer will be different - we need to figure out if Elite Dangerous allows people to play together based on their ping or just geolocation (local server)

Amanda