xbox one nat = moderate

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
M_
Sophomore

xbox one nat = moderate

Hello, I am able to play Elite Dangerous on my xbox one online, no problems for the most part. However, I would like to join a multiplayer session with friends and can't do it. I have been told that my xbox one NAT needs to be "open" not "moderate". I'm also not able to join party chat or even complete the multiplayer testing. Is there anyway around this? I do have upnp setup and also tried port forwarding. While there is some shooting in Elite, it's mostly flying missions and checking out various systems in space. Can you help me get the NAT to go to Open and hopefully join the multiplayer group?
thanks in advance,
Michelle
28 REPLIES 28
camckee

Playing game via satellite connection is darn near impossible.  If you would like to check go to your computer open your command line box (cmd) and then try to ping the ip (ping 127.0.0.1) 
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

M,

You may have to connect your console directly to your modem in order to get around the NAT issue...  The problem is, Hughesnet uses CGN (Carrier Grade Network Address Translation) which to Xbox, a few hundred customers will appear as one.  Because of this, certain things just wont work, especially when you have your own router in the mix, as that adds on yet another layer of NAT.

More on CGN: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrier-grade_NAT

However... With Hughesnet supporting IPv6, if your console is directly connected to the modem, or you properly setup IPv6 on your router, and get a valid IPv6 address on the Xbox, you *should* be able to do what you are wanting to do.

The next issue is this...  Does that game have a maximum on your latency/jitter?  Some games do, and you won't be able to play them online because of satellite having such high latency and a lot of jitter.

Also, try to disable Web Acceleration in your modem to see if that helps any at all.
M_
Sophomore

awesome thank you corrosive! I'll try what you mentioned. I've been playing it online for a few weeks. It's really not bad at all. I think because i'm not relying on another players response and they aren't waiting on mine 🙂 I'll post back the results.
Amanda

Hi M

Let us know if C0RR0SIVE's tip works - if not perhaps we can try a couple of other things. I know that he recommended to plug right into the modem, but when you have it hooked up through the router - are you going wireless or wired? Also, what is the brand of router you use?

Thanks!
Amanda
M_
Sophomore

Will do. My old router doesn't support ipv6 so  i ordered a new one 🙂 probably way past due anyway. I was using it wireless. It's a netgear. I ordered a linksys. It'll be here Wed - I'd like to try ipv6 for this since i would need a really long cable from modem to xbox.
M_
Sophomore

So...I'm happy to report with my new router I am now seeing NAT Open on my xbox one!! 🙂 I couldn't find how to make my router hand out an ipv6 address right off, so i checked linksys site and stumbled across this article: http://www.linksys.com/us/support-article?articleNum=136980

I changed the mtu as suggested, and used port triggering instead of port forwarding. Added ports 88, 3074, 53, 80, 500, 3544, & 4500. I restarted my xbox and NAT is Open now 🙂 oddly I still can't complete the multiplayer testing but I dont know if that's a big deal or not. More research ahead. But wanted to share the article and the ports in case it helps someone else 🙂

Thank you Corrosive for leading me down the right path 🙂
M_
Sophomore

Oh note to others...the ports used may not be what you need depending on the game you are playing....you will need to research the game server info for your particular game (I think). It mentions this in the article and luckily I had a friend who gave me the list for Elite 🙂
Amanda

Pretty cool! Thanks for letting us know. I recall there being a website where you could pick the game or device and get the ports. It might be http://portforward.com that does it. Either way, happy to know you're going in the right direction here. 

Thanks
Amanda
M_
Sophomore

Well, that was shortlived. Tonight I got home and turned on my xbox. I'm back to moderate. I rebooted it, disconnected and resetup wireless. Double checked that my port triggering and mtu changes were still setup and they were. Any suggestions to make it stick?
M_
Sophomore

A little off topic but maybe related. I'm seeing odd speeds tonight too. For example, I test using speedtest.net and get 4 mbps download .54 upload. Then I run same test and see 15mbps and 1mbps upload. and then again, 2mbps and .25 mpbs. Kinda weird to see that much difference in a short period of time. Normally wherever it tests at (and its usually 10 or 11 mbps and 1-1.5 mbps upload) it stays there. I'll test again tomorrow but it's strange.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Lots of storms at Gateway locations tonight: http://www.weather.gov/Radar

Good read here about satellite internet: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satellite_Internet_access
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Yup, mine just cut out for a few again.
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Well, IPv6 on Hughes seems to be hit and miss...  If you don't have a valid IPv6 address, then you will probably end back up in the whole moderate/double nat mode.
Amanda

Hi M

Its been a couple of days since we got an update - are you still seeing the same thing as far as poor speeds and moderate NAT?

Thanks
Amanda
M_
Sophomore

Hi Amanda, sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I actually ended up sending the linksys router back. It was dropping connections like crazy and for some reason it wouldn't allow us (me and linksys support) to flash the firmware. So, I have a new router (netgear) and I'll be setting it up probably tomorrow evening. So I'll let you know how that behaves. Hopefully setting up the port triggering will work and it will stay open 🙂 if you have any other suggestions for things to try, I'm willing to try it. Oh I'm also going to try running a cable to the xbox. It'll be ugly but I can try it temporarily if nothing else works.
Amanda

Hi M

Very weird! Well, we'll be around to help. Our engineers actually recommend connecting the Xbox through the router (wired, not wireless) instead of directly into the modem. It's the one time we don't really recommend a direct connection. According to them it can actually improve the connection, but we can try every which way until we figure it out.

Thanks
Amanda

p.s. I've changed this back to In Progress from Solved
M_
Sophomore

Hi Amanda (and all)

I have setup my netgear r6050. I adjusted my mtu down to 1364 as the one article suggested. I added the ports to the port forwarding section. I tried changing NAT from Secured to Open. I tried only using UPnP. I even tried running a cable from the router to the xbox. My NAT is still at Moderate. I'm open for suggestions. 😞
M_
Sophomore

Buehler? 🙂
Amanda

Hi M

Did you try this at all with the MTU set to 1500? 

Have you ever been able to join a game/chat with your friends? If it recently broke we need to find out why, but if it possibly has never worked, it could be latency. 

Ive connected to party chat with moderate before (strict is horribly frustrating) so I know its possible.. Do you have a Windows 10 PC in the house? I wonder if you can connect to party chat using the Xbox Streaming app. The multiplayer will be different - we need to figure out if Elite Dangerous allows people to play together based on their ping or just geolocation (local server)

Amanda
M_
Sophomore

Hi Amanda,

I changed the MTU first and left it. Do you think I should set it back to 1500? It has never worked...however I've only had xbox since end of January and only just started playing elite in the last month - never really cared about playing with anyone else until this game. I haven't been able to do party chat either. I haven't tried party chat with the new router though. I was mainly just watching the NAT.

I do have a windows 10 pc - in fact i stream to play elite. I dont recall if I've tried party chat over streaming. I only started streaming because I get motion sickness when i use the tv. I'll try that too.

My other friend who plays elite says she knows Open can see Open in elite. She says as long as you are open and in the same mode of play you should be able to see other players (mode of play is open play or private group). If i can get to open i should be able to see her and vice versa.

PS - she says no geolocation - one large server (or pod of servers)