Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

xbox one nat = moderate

M_
Sophomore

Re: xbox one nat = moderate

Hi Amanda,

I changed the MTU first and left it. Do you think I should set it back to 1500? It has never worked...however I've only had xbox since end of January and only just started playing elite in the last month - never really cared about playing with anyone else until this game. I haven't been able to do party chat either. I haven't tried party chat with the new router though. I was mainly just watching the NAT.

I do have a windows 10 pc - in fact i stream to play elite. I dont recall if I've tried party chat over streaming. I only started streaming because I get motion sickness when i use the tv. I'll try that too.

My other friend who plays elite says she knows Open can see Open in elite. She says as long as you are open and in the same mode of play you should be able to see other players (mode of play is open play or private group). If i can get to open i should be able to see her and vice versa.

PS - she says no geolocation - one large server (or pod of servers)
Highlighted
M_
Sophomore

Ok my xbox now has a permanent wired connection to my router. So now its just a matter of figuring out what's up with NAT.

Do you find that using your xbox eats up your data really fast?  We tried to stream a movie through our xbox & immediately almost ate up all our data.

Thanks!

Phyllis,

If you are on a 10/50 gb per month plan, and you are trying to stream a HD quality movie, regardless if it is through Xbox/playstation/Netflix/Roku, HD streaming a SINGLE 2 hour movie could burn through not always but as high as 4-5 GB of data (I have even read up to 7gb).  So, that 10gb plan and one 2 hour movie, well, half your monthly data is going to get used up.  Hope this helps.  Somewhere, at least with Netflix, you can set your streaming quality to low.  I found after a google search, we can enter a series of remote control key presses on our Roku remote and change the streaming of our Roku from 3.5 mbps, down to 0.3 mbps.  Huge difference in data usage, if you don't mind a slight change in the picture quality.  We hardly notice a difference.  Its like watching a standard movie vs. a bluray movie.

When your talking a 15 mbps or higher download speed with hughesnet, one can do the math.

Your downloading 15 mega bits per second.  Thats 1.875 mega bytes a second.  There is 1,024 of those in one gigabyte.  1,024/1.875 = 546/60seconds....  That's just over 9 minutes to download one gig of data.  Wow, data can go quick!  So for the sake of argument one movie at 4 gigs, 9x4=36 minutes.  So, just over a half an hour and you burned through almost half of your data.

Hope this is correct?  I'm no math wiz, pulled this info off of google.... 

Hope this helps.

Hi M

The Xbox itself should have an option in the settings to let you run a test on your network connection. When you run it there, does it tell you it's open/moderate/strict? If that is where you are seeing it and it says moderate, is there an option to see the details of that result? 

I ask because it could just be automatically setting to moderate because of the satellite latency, which is something unavoidable. If its something else, we can try to work on it.

Thanks
Amanda
M_
Sophomore

Hi Phyllis, ericdanielle is correct about the HD. I actually don't use my xbox to stream anything so the only time it uses big chunks of data is when I download a game from the MS store - I usually pause those until after 2am so it doesn't kill my daytime quota.

I do however stream movies/shows from Amazon through the Amazon Firestick or from my laptop - haven't done it in a while but I have no issues with the quality of the stream (HBO GO for some reason is really pixelated). I am careful to choose standard definition instead of high def. And I don't do alot of that so I haven't had many issues with running out of quota.
M_
Sophomore

I will check it tonight. It does seem like I read somewhere that you need to run that test to make it update that field on the main screen.
M_
Sophomore

The network connection test says it's good. The details shows latency but connectivity is good. I'm not sure what to look at to really answer what you are asking me? There's nothing in the details that mentions NAT.
New Poster

Www.systemcontrolcenter.com

Go to systemcontrolcenter.com connected to ur hughesnet. At the top of the screen you will see a grey (i) in a circle. Click that, on the left there is an advanced menu, click +web acceleration the then click control. Disable the acceleration. Then try the party chat and online features, but latency in satellite prevents a great multiplayer experience. This also works for streaming and apps on Xbox 360/Xbox one, ps3/PS4.