cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alternatives to putty for ssh

Junior

Alternatives to putty for ssh

I have recently moved into the country. The hughesnet internet is good in my opinion, but one drawback is the latency, which i've learned to cope with for most things but, SSH is unbearably slow. The latency makes it difficult to type, as each character is sent to the server and evaluated before being displayed in the window. this makes it too hard to type. I already tried Mosh and it doesn't seem to work, and it also doesn't support copy/paste which is a deal breaker. I was wondering if someone could recommend an alternative to putty. maybe something that could buffer and display the text locally, but not send it to the server until a newline+carriage return is reached or enter is pressed. Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Senior Instructor

Re: Alternatives to putty for ssh

When you open putty, it should be under Terminal > Line Discipline Options

Try setting the Local Line Editing to Force On, and see if that works... Some remote devices don't like local line editing, but it's worth a shot if Mosh isn't cutting it for ya.

From my understanding, instead of PuTTY sending the data as it's typed, it will wait till you have hit enter for the line , so you should only have to suffer the agony of a single round trip when you press enter instead of a trip each time you hit the keyboard.

You *might* also want to play with Line Echo, i've never tried either option, but those two are usually used together from what I have read in the PuTTy documentation.

puttyconf.PNG

4 REPLIES
Senior Instructor

Have you tried local line editing in putty?  This allows you to type an entire line, and none of it is sent until you press enter.

There's not really much of any way around it since putty sends the letter immediately and satellite with out encryption is painful for such things, add on an encrypted layer and it becomes increasingly painful.

Junior

Corrosive, no i haven't. I looked for something like that but can't seem to find such a setting. Any ideas where i might find it?

Senior Instructor

Try setting the Local Line Editing to Force On, and see if that works... Some remote devices don't like local line editing, but it's worth a shot if Mosh isn't cutting it for ya.

From my understanding, instead of PuTTY sending the data as it's typed, it will wait till you have hit enter for the line , so you should only have to suffer the agony of a single round trip when you press enter instead of a trip each time you hit the keyboard.

You *might* also want to play with Line Echo, i've never tried either option, but those two are usually used together from what I have read in the PuTTy documentation.

puttyconf.PNG

Highlighted
Junior

C0RR0SIVE wrote:

puttyconf.PNG

Thanks, that did the trick. only qualms are that it shows plaintext on password fields and you have to press enter for keyboard shortcuts to work.