cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Chromecast...what's the advantage?

@BirdDog @monicakm

What exactly is it that Chromecast does?  It says "Stream entertainment from your device to your TV".  What does this mean, exactly?  Does this mean like streaming HBO Go, DirecTV, Netflix, etc, onto your laptop, but being able to watch it on your TV instead of your laptop?  

I have a long HDMI cable with which I can connect my laptop to my TV and watch whatever I stream to my laptop on my TV.  Is this essentially what Chromecast does, only Chromecast does it wirelessly?  

If not wirelessly, how does Chromecast connect to your laptop.  I know the doohickey plugs into your TV's HDMI port and that the doohickey has its own power source, but how does said doohickey connect to your laptop, or vice versa, I should say?

Thanks.  I tried looking this stuff up on the Chromecast site, but it doesn't give a whole lot of info.  

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Yea, the advantage is it is wireless so if someone's only other option is running a cable accross the floor or ceiling it is handy. It casts local content to the TV using Chrome and can also cast/stream online content. There's differents feeds that can be subscribed to, some free and others with a fee. Basically it can make a relatively dumb TV smart. My one older Roku TV is kind of clunky when it comes to casting so I purchased the Chromecast for it.

The newest edition of VLC video player can cast to it pretty well if not wanting to use Chrome all the time, with a few minor bugs yet. It should get better with future releases.

In the end, just another tech gadget to play with that can be useful at times.

View solution in original post

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Also Gabe there is this. A simple casting device that doesn't require Internet. It is available on a popular auction site and also the site that has the jungle name. Less bells and whistles but costs more it appears. Go figure.

UPDATE: Just found it on Newegg refurbished for $19 + free shipping. That's a deal.

belkinmiracast.PNG

View solution in original post

56 REPLIES 56
maratsade

"You really should read that link I posted awhile back and/or do a search about it."

If this is the link you mean, I did read it.  I use Option 1, the USB connection. I have yet to try Option 2, but plan to. 

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

@maratsadewrote:

"You really should read that link I posted awhile back and/or do a search about it."

If this is the link you mean, I did read it.  I use Option 1, the USB connection. I have yet to try Option 2, but plan to. 

That's the one.

When I first set it up it used 200+ MB over about a 2-3 hour period when I wasn't even doing anything. Knew it couldn't be simply a firmware update so that is when I shut it down and left it for a couple weeks. Came back to it and started doing some searching and discovered the Backdrop and other default active feeds thing.

Now, using my custom images and turning off the feeds it still can use 1+ MB per hour which is at least tolerable. That is with my images only being 58 bytes in size which is as small as you can get I believe.

Also, like I found also, it can use 20-30 MB each time it is powered up.

maratsade

As long as I stay within my data limits, I don't worry too much about some usage.  But I wouldn't want to use so much just to load up some silly pictures.  Thanks for the link, BirdDog; I'm looking forward to trying the second option. 

I realize you guys are on the track of different devices but here is another note about the Roku for anyone else reading that might be interested (and no I don't get royalties from Roku hahaha).

Roku needs your WiFi lan and internet to be set up, once that is done then the internet can be removed and the wireless lan side will still operate. As an example I configured an old router I have with the same settings ssid etc. as the router I used to to access the internet, I removed the router with the internet connection and powered up the older router, Roku gave me a warning there was no internet but other than that I could cast just as normal. The purpose was that if my router ever malfunctioned I could at least set up a spare to watch my recordings on the "big set"

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

@Jeff_Twrote:

I realize you guys are on the track of different devices but here is another note about the Roku for anyone else reading that might be interested (and no I don't get royalties from Roku hahaha).

Roku needs your WiFi lan and internet to be set up, once that is done then the internet can be removed and the wireless lan side will still operate. As an example I configured an old router I have with the same settings ssid etc. as the router I used to to access the internet, I removed the router with the internet connection and powered up the older router, Roku gave me a warning there was no internet but other than that I could cast just as normal. The purpose was that if my router ever malfunctioned I could at least set up a spare to watch my recordings on the "big set"

The Roku does actually appear to be a better device and if I were needing it to actually stream I might consider it. But my devices, including TVs, already have the apps I need to stream sites like Netflix. Only thing I need my Chromecast for is to cast locally on my older TV, not for online streaming.

Again, does appear to be a better device overall without all the baggage.

I don't think there is a lot of difference between them BirdDog, I don't have a smart TV yet Smiley Sad

I even read somewhere that Win 8 or 10 can cast to Miracast devices I need to look into that one day, do smart tv's us Miracast??

maratsade

I'm not sure if that works, actually.  I was reading the Google forums and an employee says that Chromecast doesn't support that and that it doesn't always work.  And yes, it would use your mobile data..... I doubt it would work for me anyway because my mobile connection is laughable at home.  

I will have to measure whether the Chromecast uses data when I'm casting a DVD from the laptop.  I don't think it does, I think it's just using the wifi as a conduit, but I'll check. 

@BirdDogwrote:

This also concerns me in the first link, does it mean it will use the mobile data instead?

• Do you have 4G Data in your mobile hand set? Then there is absolutely no need to worry as you can stream your favourite content on 4G on your device and mirror it to your Chromecast without any hassles. This will save you from hard efforts that we put in struggling around with hot spots.

GabeU

@BirdDogwrote:

This also concerns me in the first link, does it mean it will use the mobile data instead?

• Do you have 4G Data in your mobile hand set? Then there is absolutely no need to worry as you can stream your favourite content on 4G on your device and mirror it to your Chromecast without any hassles. This will save you from hard efforts that we put in struggling around with hot spots.

That's the very first thing I noticed.  It seems like nothing's ever quite as simple as the title claims.  😞  

maratsade

"That's the very first thing I noticed.  It seems like nothing's ever quite as simple as the title claims."

the devil's in the details, @GabeU. 😉

maratsade

"So, how much is Google paying you? "

MILLIONS!  

ka-ching!ka-ching!

GabeU

@maratsadewrote:

"So, how much is Google paying you? "

MILLIONS!  

ka-ching!ka-ching! 

Seven figures?  WOW.  I've REALLY got to renegotiate my shill contract with Hughes!  😛  

maratsade

Google's where it's at, dude.  LOL

@GabeUwrote:

Seven figures?  WOW.  I've REALLY got to renegotiate my shill contract with Hughes!  😛 

maratsade

I have a dedicated laptop that sits next to the television and is always connected with a short HDMI cable.  I use it for DVDs too because it has a DVD bay. 

"Lol, I used to do that. Just got tired of lugging the laptop out to the TV to connect the HDMI."

maratsade

It took me a while to figure out too.... It works really well, and you can keep the laptop somewhere else. I can't have cables on the floor because the dogs would trip and get entangled.

@GabeUwrote:

I revert to the HDMI cable and using a wireless mouse to control the laptop. (I use a short HDMI cable)

Ya know, sometimes things are right in front of you and you feel like a moron for not seeing them.  I have a wireless mouse, but it never dawned on me to just use the mouse as a remote and have the laptop out of the way so I don't have to trip over the cable.  SMH.  Just unbelievable.  That's a HUGE DERP moment.  😛  

maratsade

"What exactly is it that Chromecast does?  It says "Stream entertainment from your device to your TV".  What does this mean, exactly?  Does this mean like streaming HBO Go, DirecTV, Netflix, etc, onto your laptop, but being able to watch it on your TV instead of your laptop? "

It projects stuff from your computer or a service such as Netflix onto your television, wirelessly.  I have two Chromecasts and love them.