cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Chromecast...what's the advantage?

@BirdDog @monicakm

What exactly is it that Chromecast does?  It says "Stream entertainment from your device to your TV".  What does this mean, exactly?  Does this mean like streaming HBO Go, DirecTV, Netflix, etc, onto your laptop, but being able to watch it on your TV instead of your laptop?  

I have a long HDMI cable with which I can connect my laptop to my TV and watch whatever I stream to my laptop on my TV.  Is this essentially what Chromecast does, only Chromecast does it wirelessly?  

If not wirelessly, how does Chromecast connect to your laptop.  I know the doohickey plugs into your TV's HDMI port and that the doohickey has its own power source, but how does said doohickey connect to your laptop, or vice versa, I should say?

Thanks.  I tried looking this stuff up on the Chromecast site, but it doesn't give a whole lot of info.  

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Yea, the advantage is it is wireless so if someone's only other option is running a cable accross the floor or ceiling it is handy. It casts local content to the TV using Chrome and can also cast/stream online content. There's differents feeds that can be subscribed to, some free and others with a fee. Basically it can make a relatively dumb TV smart. My one older Roku TV is kind of clunky when it comes to casting so I purchased the Chromecast for it.

The newest edition of VLC video player can cast to it pretty well if not wanting to use Chrome all the time, with a few minor bugs yet. It should get better with future releases.

In the end, just another tech gadget to play with that can be useful at times.

View solution in original post

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Also Gabe there is this. A simple casting device that doesn't require Internet. It is available on a popular auction site and also the site that has the jungle name. Less bells and whistles but costs more it appears. Go figure.

UPDATE: Just found it on Newegg refurbished for $19 + free shipping. That's a deal.

belkinmiracast.PNG

View solution in original post

56 REPLIES 56

The devices do work slightly differently, the Roku is connected to your Wifi/Internet and physically connected to your TV. You assign a dedicated Input, usually HDMI but they also support a composite video. It is initially configured over your LAN with a standard set of streaming channels, movies, sports, Youtube and NEWS. You can add or delete channels and configure network settings using the supplied remote control. With Roku there is no need for a laptop or PC to be connected but the Roku will accept a video stream from a computer or smart phone. When you first install your Roku you set it up with a user name and password and then as you add channels that you subscribe to, such as Netflix and Amazon you are asked for additional passwords that you already have for the subscription services, I think these services only allow you to stream to one device at any one time. Which brings me to the idea of using your PC/laptop as a server, the Roku allows the PC server to be added as a channel that is independant of the internet, any pre- recorded video on the server can be viewed by any device connected to your WiFi, a bonus is cloud storage where videos can be saved and viewed when you are away from home.

Here is a comparison https://www.geek.com/tech/roku-stick-vs-google-chromecast-tiny-tv-titans-1586865/

GabeU

@maratsadewrote:

@GabeU, with the Chromecast you can stream anything.  I use it to cast from my laptop. You can also cast from apps, but it works fine with the internet. You have to use the Chrome browser for that.   I stream YouTube all the time.  You can also cast your desktop, like if you want to show a PowerPoint on your TV, or browse to websites and show them on your TV.

See, that's what threw me off.  Though Chromecast isn't quite what I thought it was, I think it would still work well for what I would use it for, which is basically streaming HBO Go, Max Go, DirecTV On Demand, Youtube, and a few various other things on my laptop and showing them on my TV. 

It's too bad that they don't simply make a device with which you can do that with no strings attached.  Simply, what's on your laptop screen and coming through your laptop speakers is what shows on your TV and comes through its speakers.  I mean, you'd still have to sign up for whatever streaming service or whatever you are using to show on your laptop, but it would show on your TV, regardless of what browser you use.  Basically, just doing what your laptop and TV connected HDMI cable does, but wirelessly.  That's what I was thinking Chromecast was.  Still, I think it will work for what I want it for, and if it doesn't work for everything, I always have the HDMI cable.  🙂  

Gabe, it's been awhile since I've cast with our dongle (we study science from mid-March through September and don't really have a need to cast for any other purpose), but I do believe you can cast outside of the Chrome browser.

I think you have to start it in Chrome, but once the connection is made, you can close the browser window.

I'd have to play with it again to see.

I do know that I can cast from my Android phone with the dongle, and I don't think I have to use the Chrome app.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Also Gabe there is this. A simple casting device that doesn't require Internet. It is available on a popular auction site and also the site that has the jungle name. Less bells and whistles but costs more it appears. Go figure.

UPDATE: Just found it on Newegg refurbished for $19 + free shipping. That's a deal.

belkinmiracast.PNG

GabeU

@BirdDog

Thanks!  That's pretty much exactly the kind of thing I was looking for, and the price on the jungle site isn't any more than what I was seeing for the Chromecast device, though I hadn't searched anywhere but their own site, and Chromecast is probably cheaper elsewhere, including our friendly jungle site.  😛

Thanks again!  

maratsade

"Simply, what's on your laptop screen and coming through your laptop speakers is what shows on your TV and comes through its speakers. "

That's what it does, though.  You have to tell it to do it using the Chrome browser, but that's exactly what it does.

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

@maratsadewrote:

"Simply, what's on your laptop screen and coming through your laptop speakers is what shows on your TV and comes through its speakers. "

That's what it does, though.  You have to tell it to do it using the Chrome browser, but that's exactly what it does.

I think what Gabe was talking is the need to having to be connected to the internet and the using Chrome thing being a turn off. I understand that, doesn't thrill me either.

Even casting locally the Chromecast needs an internet connection for some stupid reason. If I kill the connection using my router parental controls the local casting will eventually crash and I get a Chromecast error saying it has lost the internet connection. Very stupid it requires internet all the time even for local casting.

There is the using Chrome thing all the time, again stupid IMO. Luckily there is VLC media player which I have installed on my laptop and my phone and casts videos directly to the Chromecast without using Chrome or the Home app.

Then there is the whole Backdrop thing which I won't even go into again.

While I enjoy what the Chromecast does it has some quirks which I do not like at all.

GabeU

@BirdDogwrote: 

Even casting locally the Chromecast needs an internet connection for some stupid reason. If I kill the connection using my router parental controls the local casting will eventually crash and I get a Chromecast error saying it has lost the internet connection. Very stupid it requires internet all the time even for local casting.

Needing to use Chrome was the biggest turn off, but that's now been surpassed by this revelation.  Wow.  You're right, that is very stupid.  

That Belkin Miracast is looking better and better.  🙂  

maratsade

I thought you actually used the Chrome browser, @GabeU .

GabeU

@maratsadewrote:

I thought you actually used the Chrome browser, @GabeU .

I mostly do, but not for everything, and being forced to do so makes it product specific, which I don't like.  

I'm sure it would work for most things, but that Belkin Miracast thing basically does exactly what I was looking for with no strings attached.  

maratsade

"I'm sure it would work for most things, but that Belkin Miracast thing basically does exactly what I was looking for with no strings attached."

Do write a review after you've used it a bit, @GabeU

GabeU

@maratsadewrote:

"I'm sure it would work for most things, but that Belkin Miracast thing basically does exactly what I was looking for with no strings attached."

Do write a review after you've used it a bit, @GabeU

I definitely will, but it will probably be a while before I get it.  

maratsade

But how do you feel about the Chromecast, @BirdDog? 😉

Sounds like a different device would suit @GabeU's needs much better, and it's great you had something to suggest.  🙂

maratsade

Using Chromecast without an internet connection:

http://www.uniquetechy.com/use-chromecast-without-wifi/

http://www.itpro.co.uk/mobile/28299/how-to-use-chromecast-without-wi-fi

I'll be trying these myself. I've seen the guest mode mentioned on the second site, but didn't know how it might work.

(Not trying to get you to get a Chromecast, Gabe, honest! I would like to be able to cast without wifi or even the internet, so I thought I'd see if there was a way). 

ETA:  This seems to lay the issue to rest: you cannot cast w/o internet.   Oh, well.  I'm still going to try what the other links suggest.  Gabe, let us know how the device you pick works for you. 

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

@maratsadewrote:

Using Chromecast without an internet connection:

http://www.uniquetechy.com/use-chromecast-without-wifi/

http://www.itpro.co.uk/mobile/28299/how-to-use-chromecast-without-wi-fi

I'll be trying these myself. I've seen the guest mode mentioned on the second site, but didn't know how it might work.

(Not trying to get you to get a Chromecast, Gabe, honest! I would like to be able to cast without wifi or even the internet, so I thought I'd see if there was a way). 

Yea, looks like another bunch of hoops to jump through to me. Just not as user friendly as I'd like, so just trying to let Gabe know about the quirks and hoops.

So, how much is Google paying you? Smiley Wink

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

This also concerns me in the first link, does it mean it will use the mobile data instead?

• Do you have 4G Data in your mobile hand set? Then there is absolutely no need to worry as you can stream your favourite content on 4G on your device and mirror it to your Chromecast without any hassles. This will save you from hard efforts that we put in struggling around with hot spots.
maratsade

I'm not sure if that works, actually.  I was reading the Google forums and an employee says that Chromecast doesn't support that and that it doesn't always work.  And yes, it would use your mobile data..... I doubt it would work for me anyway because my mobile connection is laughable at home.  

I will have to measure whether the Chromecast uses data when I'm casting a DVD from the laptop.  I don't think it does, I think it's just using the wifi as a conduit, but I'll check. 

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

@maratsadewrote:

I'm not sure if that works, actually.  I was reading the Google forums and an employee says that Chromecast doesn't support that and that it doesn't always work.  And yes, it would use your mobile data..... I doubt it would work for me anyway because my mobile connection is laughable at home.  

I will have to measure whether the Chromecast uses data when I'm casting a DVD from the laptop.  I don't think it does, I think it's just using the wifi as a conduit, but I'll check. 

It uses data through Backdrop for sure unless tamed as mentioned before, those images are being refreshed every 30 seconds. Also from what I've observed, it can use 30-40 MB when first turned on just syncing up, checking for updates, and lord knows what else.

maratsade

Right, but if it's casting, it's not using Backdrop, right?  ETA:  I mean, if I use my hotspot as the wifi for Chromecast, I wonder if it uses any data because it would be casting from the DVD bay and using the wifi as a conduit.  I don't understand how, if it's casting, it would also be downloading backdrop images. 

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

@maratsadewrote:

Right, but if it's casting, it's not using Backdrop, right?

Nope, it refreshes them in the background no matter what you're doing/seeing on the screen. Have verified with my Asus router that monitors per device use. It is one MAJOR dislike for me. I hate things that won't allow total shutdown of background use, especially something like Backdrop that can add up to 10-15 GB per month if left on 24/7.

You really should read that link I posted awhile back and/or do a search about it.

maratsade

Well, what a sneaky device!  Glad I keep it powered off when not in use.  

@BirdDogwrote:

@maratsadewrote:

Right, but if it's casting, it's not using Backdrop, right?

Nope, it refreshes them in the background no matter what you're doing/seeing on the screen. Have verified with my Asus router that monitors per device use. It is one MAJOR dislike for me. I hate things that won't allow total shutdown of background use, especially something like Backdrop that can add up to 10-15 GB per month if left on 24/7.