cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chromecast...what's the advantage?

Assistant Professor

Re: Chromecast...what's the advantage?

I do have it set up to turn off when the TV is off.  I just noticed that when it was in use, it didn't seem to use a lot of data for the backdrops.  I have the 2nd generation Chromecast. Would that make a difference? ETA: I imagine that because I don't have it on for long, and I'm streaming when using it, I may not have noticed a huge use of data. But since the backdrops are images that are downloaded, it makes sense they use up data.   

I have the Chromcast connected using the USB port on the TV -- so when the TV  is off, no power goes to the Chromecast.

Instructor

@maratsadewrote:

I do have it set up to turn off when the TV is off.  I just noticed that when it was in use, it didn't seem to use a lot of data for the backdrops.  I have the 2nd generation Chromecast. Would that make a difference?

Nope, I have 2nd generation also. You should read this if you haven't already: https://www.howtogeek.com/337719/how-to-tame-your-chromecasts-background-data-usage/

My guess is like I said, you haven't left it on long enough to notice a big difference. Either that or what is being used by Backdrop you are thinking is being consumed by whatever online streaming you are doing.

Assistant Professor

Yes, I think you're definitely right, BirdDog.

My guess is like I said, you haven't left it on long enough to notice a big difference. Either that or what is being used by Backdrop you are thinking is being consumed by whatever online streaming you are doing.

Instructor

Option 2 in that link is what really saves the data when the Chromecast is powered up. I made my own 1x1 pixel .bmp images instead of the author's. Mine are only 58 bytes in size compared to his 600+ kb size. Even that difference saves a lot when the images are being refreshed every 30 seconds.

Assistant Professor

That's really cool, BirdDog.  I didn't even know that it could be done (Option 2).  

@BirdDogwrote:

Option 2 in that link is what really saves the data when the Chromecast is powered up. I made my own 1x1 pixel .bmp images instead it the author's. Mine are only 58 bytes in size compared to his 600+ kb size. Even that difference save a lot when the images are being refreshed every 30 seconds.

Professor

@maratsadewrote:

I revert to the HDMI cable and using a wireless mouse to control the laptop. (I use a short HDMI cable)

Ya know, sometimes things are right in front of you and you feel like a moron for not seeing them.  I have a wireless mouse, but it never dawned on me to just use the mouse as a remote and have the laptop out of the way so I don't have to trip over the cable.  SMH.  Just unbelievable.  That's a HUGE DERP moment.  Smiley Tongue  

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Instructor

@GabeUwrote:

@maratsadewrote:

I revert to the HDMI cable and using a wireless mouse to control the laptop. (I use a short HDMI cable)

Ya know, sometimes things are right in front of you and you feel like a moron for not seeing them.  I have a wireless mouse, but it never dawned on me to just use the mouse as a remote and have the laptop out of the way so I don't have to trip over the cable.  SMH.  Just unbelievable.  That's a HUGE DERP moment.  Smiley Tongue  

Lol, I used to do that. Just got tired of lugging the laptop out to the TV to connect the HDMI.

Sophomore

I guess they are all fairly similar but my favorite is the Roku, I just bought another Roku Express last week for $26 from Wal Mart. I don't know whether the Chromecast does this but apart from the freebie channels Roku also allows you to add channels some of which you may already subscribe to through your Dish/Direct Tv subscription. The advantage of this is if you have a TV in a room with no cable/satellite feed you can still watch things like abc, BBC etc. for no additional cost providing you are connected to your WiFi/Internet. Also certain Roku devices have a USB port enabling you to play your home media if ever you lose your WiFi. I have said a few times before I like to combine the PlayOn server with my Roku devices because of the off peak recording feature, I can watch pre-recorded movies and series on any TV in the house using WiFi (no internet required). I believe PlayOn supports Chromecast https://www.playon.tv/features . Regarding smart phones with Android OS there is an app called Allcast that allows you to cast vids to your streaming device, I don't use that much it's more of a novelty. I bought my first Roku 3 or 4 years ago, zero data leakage that I have seen.

Professor

Does Roku stream from a laptop or from the internet itself?  The reason I ask is because I like the control of my laptop and to be able to change the resolution and such of the Youtube videos or other players.  

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Professor

Maybe I'm not quite clear on what Chromecast is.  I thought it was simply a device to wirelessly cast whatever is showing on your laptop to your TV, including streaming, and with the audio.  I didn't know that it only works with certain streaming apps and such, meaning not everything.  I thought it basically took the place of my HDMI cable from my laptop to my TV, and ANYTHING I could show in my TV with my HDMI cable would show with Chromecast.  I didn't know that it relied on app compatibility.  Like if I were playing a video game on my laptop I could cast it to my TV and could view it there instead of on my laptop.  

I just watched a Youtube vid about streaming Youtube and there were all these things you had to press, with Chromecast button showing up on Youtube itself.  

A little different than I thought it was.