New Poster

DNS setting

You might change them to your home modern to read 102.168. 0.1
That way the computer will have a place to go to get a IP address
8 REPLIES 8
El Dorado Netwo
Advanced Tutor

You mean: 192.168.0.1?

Usually, you don't need to change your computer's DNS settings from auto, and most people don't know how to do this anyway.

FWIW, if you are keen on changing your DNS, I've found it's generally better to use an external DNS Server such as Google's at 8.8.4.4 and 8.8.8.8.
El Dorado Networks |Diamond Springs, CA | eldoradonetworks.com
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

home modern? 102.168.0.1?

Was it your intention to recommend the Hughes default DNS server?

The Hughes DNS system sadly is not the well oiled and up-to-the-second DNS resolver that many of us wish it to be.
Many novice users are unaware of the procedures needed to dump poisoned or outdated DNS addresses that are cached by their Modems, Routers or OS's.
Reggie
Teaching Assistant

That is the reason I joined this forum. Many times the ans. are way over my head. The Champs, Mods and other costumers are ready to offer advice.
Just my 2 cents.
Amanda

Hello,

Not sure exactly what is being recommend here, but El Dorado Networks has very good advice in the post above. 

Thanks,
Amanda
tsully980

I've had a heck of a time trying to get a wireless network going. I've tried 3 different routers. On the last router I hired a computer guy to come get things working. He changed the DNS numbers to Googles's as stated above. Now the wireless network is communicating fine albeit the HughesNet download and upload speed are only about 1 down and less than 1 up. I have the Ultra package that's supposed to provide 15 down and 2 up. Only had the service for 3 days and am becoming very disappointed. I did ask prior to install if the service didn't perform to the standards you advertised can I cancel. Was informed that the A+ rating speaks for itself and HughesNet doesn't offer a trial period. So now I have two years of frustration!
El Dorado Netwo
Advanced Tutor

Try:

1. Start a new post about your issue so it doesn't get mixed up with this one.
  2. Connect one computer directly to the HughesNet modem to completely bypass the router and see if it makes any difference.
I have the Ultra package that's supposed to provide 15 down and 2 up. 
Those are "up to" speeds, not guaranteed. Nonetheless, you should be doing better than 1 Mbps down.

Where are you testing speeds? Try testmy.net. Again, bypass the router to rule it out.

Doubt your speeds are DNS related.
El Dorado Networks |Diamond Springs, CA | eldoradonetworks.com

DNS setting should be automatic or dynamic. That allows Hughesnet to set your DNS. They may decide to change it. Once you are past the Lan/router and dynamically into a third party switcher/router you can go to a fixed IP.

Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

DHCP should be set to Auto.

You are not bound to using your ISP DNS server system.